The Videogames Tab

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I think I know how professional athletes feel when they know it's time to retire.

If I can't be bothered to play RDR or buy GTsport for a pittance. What good am I?

there's a frog in my snake oil
If I can't be bothered to play RDR or buy GTsport for a pittance. What good am I?
You're good for Untitled Goose Game...

You'll never meet anything as mean as a goose in your life

The People's Republic of Clogher
Is my game of the year really going to be something in which I am rubbish? It's a close call.

Haven't been as excited about a game in a good while.

A bold move from Obsidian, and surely in the works long before the Microsoft takeover.

Yeah, two SP people (who know I love Fallout) tagged me in Discord when that was announced. Very exciting. Kinda funny to have F76...then this, with the space angle...and then Starfield at some point a couple years later.

More is good, in this regard, especially if it forces Bethesda to address a few things.

Just picked up Project Cars 2 for Ł10 via the Humble Bundle monthly set up. Still Ł45 retail, so all good. There's also Just Cause 3 & Wizard of Legend in there.

I just wanna do this.... badly

I'm doing it! Badly! (And it is good )

I must be on some crazy easy settings, because I'm barrelling through the tin-can antics with ease. But damn that's a fun change from Dirt's impossible edge cases. This brand of lightweight muddy carnage definitely suits my chaotic driving style . The surface changes feel really satisfying. I must go to bed now, but tomorrow I will figure out reverse gear

I enjoyed the Project Cars game I played, sans headgear. The track list was a nice change of pace after what seemed like playing the same tracks on GT for the past however many years.

Yeah I mean I'm a long way from a proper gear head, but I'm loving all the options here in terms of tracks and cars.

Old-school Lotus on a RallyX track? Fetch my chamois bodysuit Jeeves!

The weather options are really cool too. I've been setting it on 2 randomised ones, so never know if I'm going to get a fog come in, or have the track dry out as things progress.

Been looking for a career option that actually suits my level of competence, and I think I found it...

No handbrakes to tempt me into foolishness and grip for days [EDIT: until there isn't...] . I'm not really a track guy but I can totally get along with this. (The feeling of being low down is also really cool in VR. Counter-pointed by the putt-putt engine pondering some acceleration )

Think the meat of this is for me though is going to be rutted tracks, mixed surfaces, and the freedom to pit manoeuvrer fools who foolishly expose themselves to such infamy

---

EDIT:

Car games do not like me I swear... 7 seconds ahead...

Stupid custom maps...

(In fairness there is a global race type that I could have applied. I've applied that now. Stoopid game )

That Dirtfish track was pretty fun though, cool gravel switchbacks, with the options to skinny your way between stray tires on the turns, and the weather changes (including the sudden dry patch in the tunnel) were all great. With what seems to be a short-cut Joker thrown into the mix. I was enjoying my ten laps!

Ok I finally won a custom round in the RallyX clown cars

Being able to T-bone and flip a car on the opening corner helped here. My car has one careless owner :/

Noticing some nice touches like the glare on the screen being strangely realistic and only-semi-blinding on the windscreen when going up the hill into bleached skies like this:

And the way storms lash across the ground in 'waves' ahead of you, occluding visibility a bit as they do so.

I've also noticed that cutting sodden grass at the end of a rain-soaked session is a good way to get your rear-wheel drive into a boggy churny spin :/. (Followed by an angry churny dance spin as everyone flashes past you )

(Liking the little tips that suggest things like following the same path as other drivers through puddles to help splash a section dry over time. And just the way the puddles form as the rain takes full effect. Also fog can **** off )

Fallout 76 update: there were some bugs last week that actually made me kinda wanna not play the game for a bit. I eventually worked around a few. More importantly, we got a pretty solid patch last week, and there's another loading right now that should make a lot of the CAMP stuff smoother. As expected, they're making some decent progress chipping away at the more frustrating issues in the core gameplay loop.

Still having fun, especially now that I've traversed most of the world and figured out how a lot of it works. I'm pretty sure tougher areas are still too tough for me to do solo, and I think the chances of me really hitting a wall of enjoyment in a month or two are pretty high. The replayability of most areas feels a lot lower than in other games, and there is something a little demoralizing about the timing and frequency of enemy respawns. That's a necessary part of an open world game, but it feels a bit more chaotic here.

That said, there's still a chance for the DLC to be really fun, particularly with those unopened vaults. If that ends up being what brings me and others back after those first 100-200 hours, that's obviously not sustainable, but I'll still enjoy it for as long as I can.

Bottom line: quality of life stuff getting better, and if you're an addict like me F76 is basically methadone.

Fallout 76 update: there were some bugs last week that actually made me kinda wanna not play the game for a bit. I eventually worked around a few. More importantly, we got a pretty solid patch last week, and there's another loading right now that should make a lot of the CAMP stuff smoother. As expected, they're making some decent progress chipping away at the more frustrating issues in the core gameplay loop.

Still having fun, especially now that I've traversed most of the world and figured out how a lot of it works. I'm pretty sure tougher areas are still too tough for me to do solo, and I think the chances of me really hitting a wall of enjoyment in a month or two are pretty high. The replayability of most areas feels a lot lower than in other games, and there is something a little demoralizing about the timing and frequency of enemy respawns. That's a necessary part of an open world game, but it feels a bit more chaotic here.

That said, there's still a chance for the DLC to be really fun, particularly with those unopened vaults. If that ends up being what brings me and others back after those first 100-200 hours, that's obviously not sustainable, but I'll still enjoy it for as long as I can.

Bottom line: quality of life stuff getting better, and if you're an addict like me F76 is basically methadone.
Are you playing in a group or soloing?

I *very* nearly bought a PSVR just now but wised up and went for a Shield TV instead. Figured that I'd get a lot more use out of it, especially as an emulator.

Are you playing in a group or soloing?
It's mostly solo. I teamed up with a couple people for the BETA, but when I play with anyone it's usually just one of my SpyParty friends for a little bit. He made a friend (while trying to work around a friends list bug, amusingly), and we joined with him and some others to take down a Scorchbeast together, which was good fun (I got pictures!). But that's really the only time I did anything significant in a sizable group.

It's a Pretty Good Fallout substitute solo. It's kinda weird and schizo if you play with anyone else. Still fun in some circumstances (nuke zone, just exploring), but the quests are often worse with others. Or, at least, with just one another. I'm pretty sure exploring a really challenging cave or building or something with 3-4 other similarly ranked people would be a lot of fun, but if you only have a friend or two there's really only a few things that are consistently fun. Otherwise, solo.

Free this month on PSN.

Played any of it? I bought (then traded) Onrush a while back but since downloading it again on PS+ I can see how much work they've put into improving the game. To me it'll always feel like a collection of bonus rounds stretched to a full game, but the loop is fun.

The only real complaint I have is the amount of bull**** takedowns which happen to you.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Played any of it? I bought (then traded) Onrush a while back but since downloading it again on PS+ I can see how much work they've put into improving the game. To me it'll always feel like a collection of bonus rounds stretched to a full game, but the loop is fun.

The only real complaint I have is the amount of bull**** takedowns which happen to you.
I played a few stages, they all seem to be the exact same thing with a little variance here or there. I've hit a few people, but then I was the one takendown. Wha???

It seems like a mindless fun game to play here and there that I will probably delete later on to make room for something else.

I'm still waiting for a new Smuggler's Run game. I played Smuggler's Run 2 when it came out for the PS2. I was in awe at the "open-ness" of it and thought this game would be amazing online. Let's get a new game going guys.

On the HD Remaster side of things, I'm super stoked for CTR. I played the sh*t out of that game and have been waiting for a new one. The sequels never really matched the perfect balance of the original. That will be out next spring/summer. Now all I need is a Timesplitters Trilogy Remaster and I'm good. (Won't be holding my breath on that one though)

I played a few stages, they all seem to be the exact same thing with a little variance here or there. I've hit a few people, but then I was the one takendown. Wha???

It seems like a mindless fun game to play here and there that I will probably delete later on to make room for something else.

I'm still waiting for a new Smuggler's Run game. I played Smuggler's Run 2 when it came out for the PS2. I was in awe at the "open-ness" of it and thought this game would be amazing online. Let's get a new game going guys.

On the HD Remaster side of things, I'm super stoked for CTR. I played the sh*t out of that game and have been waiting for a new one. The sequels never really matched the perfect balance of the original. That will be out next spring/summer. Now all I need is a Timesplitters Trilogy Remaster and I'm good. (Won't be holding my breath on that one though)
Burnout Paradise has been remastered. It still knocks the socks off any arcade racer made since.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Burnout Paradise has been remastered. It still knocks the socks off any arcade racer made since.
Yeah, I like Burnout. I just have to many games on the backburner to add that one, haha.