17th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Excellent reviews everyone. I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts. Sorry I'm not as 'active', been super busy this month. But I'm slowly getting through them.

I have a week off coming up, perfect time to finish these movies off.

Suspect's Reviews

I still check out the reviews as they're posted. I'm curious as to the final results. I think I can guess the #1 movie and which ones will come in last, but the middle of the pack is hard to predict.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Rush

I had wanted to watch this film for quite sometime and it was pretty good. The racing scenes we're really well done, greatly edited and looked very crisp. I'm not huge into auto racing, but it does seem to be one of the more ultra competitive sports and that was definitely showcased here between the two leads. Thought Hemsworth did a good job, really enjoyed Bruhls performance. The only thing I would have liked was to not see Burhls character get that injury and make that race for first more competitive and have a few more intense scenes. Of course this also would have probably been swaying from the reality of the story. I think Howard did decent, not my favorite of his as that is probably Cinderella Man but I thought it was pretty good overall.

@Miss Vicky

Let the Right One In (2008)

Let the Right One In is great and my opinion hasn't changed on rewatch. It's very melancholy with its wintery, silent atmosphere. I can't imagine this melancholy working in a different weather condition for some reason. Everything seems so suited to the snowy weather. The awkward (in a good way) interaction between the two leads play into that as well. They each bring their own feeling of loneliness to the surface in a human and fantasy context. The most interesting sections for me are involving this exploration of psychology. The film sort of envelops the soul mate ideal that a lot of films try and fail to capture. Let the Right One In doesn't feel like it's forcing any of it but that it's happening naturally due to the events on screen. I dug it. Great work from everyone involved in building this relationship over the course of the film and the young leads are both excellent.

The adult sections are not as good, feeling like a buffer between the main storyline but it didn't bother me all that much. Showing the contrast between Eli and the adult transforming raised intriguing questions about the consequences of living in this scenario. And whether it's selfish, brave, or both to carry on.

Just a reminder, there are only 19 days left until the deadline.

Here are the current standings:

@edarsenal - 2 movies left
@HashtagBrownies - 5 movies left
@Luis - 6 movies left
@MijaFrost - 2 movies left
@Nathaniel - 1 movie left
@neiba - 3 movies left
@pahaK - 1 movie left
@TheUsualSuspect - 8 movies left

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thanks Vicky!
I'm going to try to watch Lean on Pete tonight.

Weird is relative.
I will be watching Pixote soon. I put it off because the subject matter sounds pretty heavy and depressing, but I'm interested nonetheless. At the very least, what happens in the story will make me angry, which can be a good thing now and then.

@Miss Vicky

Finally managed to get this one done. Whoever nominated this, sorry, but I absolutely hated it. Will send my votes soon.

Day for Night (1973) N

A film about making a film. Most of the actors are borderline psychotic and the director is stressed about the schedule as well as his artistic vision. That doesn't sound too interesting concept to me but the actual movie is way, way worse.

The only funny scene in the whole film

Quite often with films I don't like (or even hate) I can still see why someone else could possibly enjoy it but with Day for Night I'm completely clueless. It's taken me nearly two weeks to wade through this and I hated every minute the film was playing. It's like a slice of life about people I don't want to see doing their job and edited to be as painfully boring and unexiting as possible.

I didn't laugh to lead actress choosing the wrong door multiple times, I wasn't moved at all by the tedious repetition of the scene leading to that "comedy" and I couldn't appreciate the film's depiction of how difficult it is to shoot a movie (I'm kinda aware of that already). If this is typical Truffaut I better stay away from his works.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@Miss Vicky

Lean On Pete

What a very sad, sad movie.
Even more so than I had anticipated, which does say a lot for the lead actor, as well as everyone else. Especially Buscemi. I truly felt for the poor kid as his world crumbles and he makes a last ditch attempt to find some hope by attempting to safe the horse from the slaughterhouse.
And then. . .

damn.

I actually had to battle that hit with seeing the vehicle and thinking, "No way, that thing should be totaled." Just so I could deal with what had occurred and what a cruel kick to the gut it was to the boy.

That was some very hard times and some long, unforgiving miles for that poor boy.
One of the scenes that really expressed it was him looking at his reflection in the mirror as it all weighed down on him and the worry, and the panic and the desolation was really taking their tolls. I've looked in the mirror like that in my life. I totally get it and I completely sympathized.

Even the end scene clung onto the sadness in his eyes and in his body language. Which I thought was a nice touch since you don't just snap back from a sojourn like that. Takes a while for the worry to dissipate and the smile to return without some serious struggling at it.

A very good movie. A little TOO sad for this old geezer who's found a new love in happy endings in his doddering age, but still, good movie.

This was my first Truffaut and I am curious to see more.
My first Truffaut too, and I really enjoyed Day for Night, bravo to whoever nominated it
He has other good movies too but The 400 Blows is a must see.