Geek Speak

Tools    

Thread for geekin'

Hey TWT, I just got a book on VBA. Pretty cool stuff. I know you don't like BASIC but I was able to streamline a bunch of stuff I do all within a day!

Sorry man, I know of no one else to share my excitement with ... they just don't understand.

VBA? What's that stand for again?

Anyway, I'm feeling good, too...my calendar script kicks izza**, and I'm learning a lot from Project MoFo. Anyway, I know it's too late now, but IMO, VB, BASIC, and VBScript suck! They're fairly popular in the corporate world, but I'm not nuts over them. CFML and Java are the only languages that I dig that also happen to be lucrative.

I know about dongles! Only men haf them! Waaaaahhhh!!

Toose, I forgot to bookmark new forum & Tyler is soooo slow answerin his email. Please email me with URL.
EMAIL DESTRUCTED! hahaha! This poost will self destruc as soon as Toose emails me. Pardon for bargin in TWT. Pardon pardon.
[Edited by PigsnieLite on 10-19-2001]

Thank you TWT but that link on MV didnt work at first. But it works now all of a Sudden! Bye bye. See you soon, LOLL. :bawl:

Now With Moveable Parts
Hello pigsnieLite...miss ya...

All programming languages (including Assembly) are for wussies. I just take a soldering iron and hardwire the logic straight on to the chip.

Ya, but on something one square inch, you can't possibly find room for subclasses, getter/setter methods, or more than a conditional or two. And good-freaking-luck trying to fit a constructor there!

Bah, who needs constructors? It's all broken down to 1's and 0's anyways.

Bow down before my godly presence, you HLL-using pansies.

Originally posted by Arthur Dent
Bah, who needs constructors? It's all broken down to 1's and 0's anyways.

Bow down before my godly presence, you HLL-using pansies.
Hee Hee. You binary burner you! You ROM inducing Fodder! All your HiMem does is turn the lights on to allow the giant brains a library in which to work!!

Now With Moveable Parts
Ha! I have know idea what you guys are talking about,but your banter is freakin' hilarious! I get a kick just reading your male posturing...

Hi Arthur
I have only one thing to say to you...

1000-1001
0-10010-10100
100-1111-10111
0-10010-10100
10100-1000-1111-10101 ?

I'm sure you'll figure it out....
[Edited by Toose on 10-21-2001]

Now With Moveable Parts
ohmigoodness...it doesn't get any better than this.Someone should write a book on all the ways computer geeks can insult each other...is anyone else watching this?

Behold:

<?php
$v = 4
$x = 17;
$y = 2;

$z = (($x % $v) > $y) ? ($x / $y) + $v : ($v * $y) % $x;
print $z;
?>

The above code is PHP code...any idea as to what it outputs to the client?

Hi Arthur
I have only one thing to say to you...

1000-1001
0-10010-10100
100-1111-10111
0-10010-10100
10100-1000-1111-10101 ?
Well, if I ignore bit incosistencies, and assume that the numbers are unsigned, I get this:

8-9
0-18-20
4-15-23
0-18-20
18-8-15-21

If I covert this to ASCII, it makes no sense at all. If I use corresponding letters of the alphabet, it makes more senese, since the first line would say "Hi". I'm guessing it says something along the lines of "Hi, how are you?"

<?php
$v = 4
$x = 17;
$y = 2;

$z = (($x % $v) > $y) ? ($x / $y) + $v : ($v * $y) % $x;
print $z;
?>
Piece of cake. Though this is the first time I've ever seen php code, it's obviously based on C, so it's easily solvable.

Let's see, if 17 mod 4 is greater than 2, then 12.5 is printed to the screen. If not, then 8 mod 17 would be printed to the screen.

Since 17 mod 4 is 1, the screen output would be:

Yep. Pretty simple really...though many people are intimidated by the way it looks. You'd be amazed at how many people are not familiar with the ternary operator...personally I love it. And yes, it is a C-based language, yet suited for the web, which is what I like about it. Anyway, I only posted it for Sades, who's into this kind of stuff. Wasn't really planning to stump anyone with it.

Oh, well you asked for the output.

I think the ternary operator was invented mainly to confuse newbies. I know I was confused back when I first starting looking at C code.

LOL, quite likely. I posted it on SitePointForums awhile back, and a few people seemed pretty much convinced that the question mark and colon just didn't belong there. I thought it was cool right off the at...It makes things much easier on me. On a related note, I think OOP was invented for the same kind of reason. I see it's value, but I just can't get too high on it. I use it now and then, but I find I can do things just as easily with functions.

Yes, I agree about OOP. I can do most of the same things using global structs.