What do you think of Christmas Vacation (1989)?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
My friends and people I know really like this movie and say it's a classic. So I watched it with them and even though there were some funny parts such as Randy Quaid's character, and the sled scene, overall I was just not seeing what was so funny about it overall, to be considered a classic.

The main problem with the movie I think is Chevy Chase and the guy can just not act for the life of him, at least not with comedy. Maybe he would be better off in a drama or a thriller, but probably not those either I am guessing.

So I felt that his lackluster performance really drove the material down overall. But what you think of the movie, and was I too harsh on it?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I haven't seen any of the others, so I can't compare there.

The truth is in here
I think it's a great little nice holiday movie. Although it's not my favorite in the Vacation series, I like it a lot and it had enough funny parts to make me laugh the whole time. The ending is also very sweet and gives you that Christmas cheer you're looking for, while also ending on a suitably comic note.
As for Chevy Chase's performance, I'm sorry but I really disagree. Chevy is fantastic in all four movies, and in this one he gives his character the endearing nature that makes you root for him. Before these movies I didn't really have an opinion on him, but his portrayal of Clark Griswold has made me love him as a comedic actor. He makes every gag and line work perfectly, and I don't think they would be as entertaining with someone else in the role.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
That scene where they open the turkey carcass is a classic. Think it’s very enjoyable, maybe not laugh out loud every other minute funny but pleasant, enjoyable, fun and funny in a low key way.

I think it's hilarious and much better than the first movie. I also consider it requisite viewing every December.

That said, I don't know how much my love for it is colored by nostalgia. It was released when I was a kid and I've watched it many, many times since childhood. On the other hand, classics that I didn't grow up with - like A Christmas Story - I don't understand the love for.

Both the first one and Christmas were funny, but but kinda different cause the first one was a smart Dark comedy.

It's a bit different from the others as it's not a "road trip" (or just trip) movie. The family may be on vacation - but they don't "go" on vacation (they stay home) which makes it more of a holiday comedy that breaks from the rest of the series (not that that's necessarily a bad thing).

I agree with most others that the first is still the best!

P.S. I know I'm alone in this, but I'd like to see Randy Quaid make a comeback someday as he's my favorite part of Vacations I, III and IV (he didn't appear in "European")!

I always fantasize what if Rusty and Audrey remained the same (Anthony Michael Hall & Dana Barron) - what would the rest of the movies have been like?

Would they have been better? I somehow think they would have been at least more cohesive if the main family members had remained the same. Since the kids were different in each film, by the last one, Clark (Chevy Chase) was making fourth-wall-breaking jokes onscreen about the kids looking so different!

The truth is in here
P.S. I know I'm alone in this, but I'd like to see Randy Quaid make a comeback someday as he's my favorite part of Vacations I, III and IV (he didn't appear in "European")!
I don't think you're alone at all. Cousin Eddie is hilarious! Quaid really stole that role, especially in Christmas Vacation and Vegas Vacation.

I'll stay very, very far away from Christmas Vacation 2 though...

I don't think you're alone at all. Cousin Eddie is hilarious! Quaid really stole that role, especially in Christmas Vacation and Vegas Vacation.

I'll stay very, very far away from Christmas Vacation 2 though...
You probably know that he's had some "problems" (to put it mildly) in his personal life, apparently both mentally and financially - even skirting the fringes of the law if I remember correctly. Some say he's so far gone that not even his famous brother Dennis can pull him back.

I don't know about the problems he's had, but that's really sad
It's a long & convoluted story - but Randy and his wife were involved in bankruptcy, some IRS problems, some hefty unpaid credit card bills and various lawsuits. A while back he and his wife applied for refugee status in Canada (apparently to escape their legal troubles in the states?)

Apparently, he and brother Dennis haven't spoken in over 20 years due to a bad real estate deal.

The good news is (just looked on IMDB) that he returned to New York to work on a new film, and has gone back to his home state of Vermont this year. He is still a fugitive in the state of California, but they have yet to pursue legal action.

He was in some great films: The Last Picture Show, The Last Detail, Midnight Express, Paper Moon, Independence Day (to name a few).