The Movie Forums Top 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

The categories I'm most excited to explore more of are... and Italian Giallo films.
Just to kick the hornets nest, giallo isn't horror.

*sigh*

*lays down for some quality after-work moviewatching*
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_p0ix1jxfwg1r1ult6o2_400.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	50090  

A system of cells interlinked
I'm in - list incoming soon!

As I experienced genuine horror watching The Last Jedi does that count?
I haven't seen either of those films in full – mainly just bits and pieces on YouTube, but the thing that annoys me the most is actually Snoke. Terrible overconfident CGI rearing its head again, and for me, he needed a much better voice.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I haven't seen either of those films in full – mainly just bits and pieces on YouTube, but the thing that annoys me the most is actually Snoke. Terrible overconfident CGI rearing its head again, and for me, he needed a much better voice.
See TLJ thread

Yes!!!!! Someone who agrees with me... I find them similar to thrillers which isnt horror! and I find them boring!

Welcome to the human race...
Meanwhile, that reasoning can be used to explain why Suspiria does not count as a giallo.

Meanwhile, that reasoning can be used to explain why Suspiria does not count as a giallo.
Yeah. I think that giallo originally (in Italy) referred to very broad field of films but the usual global definition seems to be about these thriller like murderer films. I've never considered Suspiria a giallo myself.

I somewhat disagree with the idea that gialli aren't horror, though. The world, logic and style in them is usually closer to horror than traditional thriller. I don't have any issues having gialli included in horror countdown (most likely I'd rather have majority of them in here than thriller one).

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I think it's just easy to assume that Suspiria is giallo simply because it's the most well-known film made by a prolific giallo director like Argento during the genre's peak, but the supernatural elements push it away from the mundane murder mysteries that constitute typical giallo movies.

Anyway, a quick glance at IMDb has a bunch of the major giallo titles be tagged as horror so it seems they are all eligible by the established criteria.

I’d say watch Jennifer’s Body for this countdown...but it sucks.
I'd say it's about a
, which elevates it above "sucks" but doesn't nearly make it a worthwhile contender in my estimation.
Jennifer's Body is like a Horror-inverted switch with Mean Girls, the way I see it. Brown-haired Jennifer Check (Megan Fox) would fit right into the other teen comedy, as a "check" to empress of The Plastics Regina George (Rachel McAdams). In the latter, Regina (blonde) has a rivalry with former best friend Janis (brunette), but the two have a falling out and Janis develops a darker personality. What-woulda-happened had Janis won out in that clash, that's what "Jennifer's Body" in a sense is to my interpretation. Seems likely to me that the earlier hit would've affected Megan Fox's version, which came out just a few years later. Mean Girls is about a larger group of people, whereas Megan Fox's focuses on the rivalry between she and her friend Amanda Seyfried (also in Mean Girls). Since @Miss Vicky doesn't seem all that in-tune with actresses, her and @Funny Face 's Chris Pratt is in the movie, albeit briefly. Right now I'm not voting for Jennifer's Body. Probably.

Attachments

Name:	Jennifers Body Mean Girls.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	50142  

Plenty of Giallo cinema ARE Horror films, they established protocol for Slashers a great deal, many are tagged that way also. Certainly value Honeykid, he got to live through the times when many of my favorites were new.

Plenty of Giallo cinema ARE Horror films, they established protocol for Slashers a great deal, many are tagged that way also. Certainly value Honeykid, he got to live through the times when many of my favorites were new.
Indeed they did (and I'm not arguing that Giallo shouldn't be included. This list is a broad church and I'm happy to attend, but I won't be including Giallo in my list) as I said in my post, I was just kicking the hornets nest. However, I would also add that influencing something isn't the same as being it. There's certainly crossover, especially in the early 70's before the kind of horror/slasher giallo became it's own thing (which are the films I think you're alluding to in your post) but the Giallo were mystery/thrillers, often with a particularly nasty/sleazy look/feel to them. The US equivalent probably would've been the trashy pulp thriller novels.

Taken on its own merits, I can't really see how Suspiria could be considered a Giallo. Make that film exactly the same, but in Germany without an Italian director and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be seen that way.

Indeed they did (and I'm not arguing that Giallo shouldn't be included. This list is a broad church and I'm happy to attend, but I won't be including Giallo in my list) as I said in my post, I was just kicking the hornets nest. However, I would also add that influencing something isn't the same as being it. There's certainly crossover, especially in the early 70's before the kind of horror/slasher giallo became it's own thing (which are the films I think you're alluding to in your post) but the Giallo were mystery/thrillers, often with a particularly nasty/sleazy look/feel to them. The US equivalent probably would've been the trashy pulp thriller novels.

Taken on its own merits, I can't really see how Suspiria could be considered a Giallo. Make that film exactly the same, but in Germany without an Italian director and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be seen that way.
As I understand them you're accurate that the Giallo literature the films were based on were primarily crime mysteries, those Italian directors who came to be associated with the style gave them their Horror flair- atmospheric with disguised slayers, striking women, lots of splatter, and so on. Agree also that Suspiria isn't a Giallo, yet it happens to be one of the most well-known films by Argento who made a lot of them. I am excited to explore more of them, as it stands there's mainly one right now strongly in contention for me. They're cool flicks, perhaps this means a more comprehensive write-up on this particular Italian film movement is in order sooner rather than later.

HORROR FILMS YOU SHOULD CONSIDER.

@Miss Vicky, pay attention, 'cause even I think Gremlins isn't much of a horror film.

CREEPSHOW (1982)

CREEPSHOW 2 (1987)

PUPPETMASTER (1989)

HELLRAISER (1987)

HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II (1988)
Attachments

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	50171   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG