Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

They Live (1988, John Carpenter)

This movie will never get old - yes, it has flaws but to me, it's just perfect the way it is.
I wish more films like this were made today.

“I was cured, all right!”

★★
Not good Welles, not good...

★★★★
A very good black humor movie. Lee uses the strange cuts of the 'Blaxploitation' and the message is a very good one. The last two minutes are incredible powerful.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Re-watch of an excellent movie. Julianne Moore stupendous.
One of my most hated movies of all-time.

Suspect's Reviews

Hereditary

(Ari Aster)

I try my best not to go into a movie with expectations, but when a film garners rave reviews for being terrifying, unnerving and one of the year's best films, it's hard to not get somewhat excited. Nevertheless, I tampered my expectations and went in with an open mind. Hereditary lives up to those claims in my book while managing to take a look at deep depression when someone loses a loved one.

Annie has just lost her mother. Their relationship wasn't perfect and her mother kept some secrets, but she still feels remorse. Those secrets begin to manifest is strange ways, making Annie go a little crazy. Tragedy has struck her family her entire life and her current family doesn't know if she's just losing her mind or if there are more sinister forces at work.

It's hard to give a quick synopsis of this film without spoiling some key elements. Those key elements took me by surprise because I feel like the film set up some expectations and quickly diverted them to throw you into a weird sense of the unknown. When an accident happens in the first quarter of this film, I was shocked. From then on, I had no idea where this film was going and what dark path it was going to take me on to get there. I was game.

Stellar performance from Toni Collete, someone I'm usually lukewarm on at best. She deserves some sort of recognition for how she tackles depression and terror. The anchor to this whole film, which never really gives you the chance to be happy or feel joy. Everyone is simply depressed or scared. Alex Wolff plays her son and he feels like he is in a comatose state for most of the film. His tragedy is horrific and everyone deals with it in their own way, he becomes shut off from family, friends and basically life. Gabriel Byrne plays the father/husband role. He's probably given the least to work with, but his role to trying to keep the family together. There is a notion that men must stay strong for others in their time of need. Byrne does this, only letting his true emotions out when no one is around to see.

The script is strong and when looking back there are lots of little hints here and there to this families history. You don't think about it at first, but when everything plays it, those bits take on other meanings. Much like the film Get Out, this film takes pride in the small details that many people may miss. I like the choices Aster makes here, very focused and deliberate. The entire inside of the house was built on a sound stage so they could remove the walls and give the rooms a 'dollhouse' look. Very effective.

There are some elements that are obvious and thus the reveal at the end isn't as shocking, but as a whole, this film works on multiple levels. In the climax, the film tends to lean more towards traditional horror, but that was to be expected and it still unnerves in the right places.

Welcome to the human race...
Robin Hood (2018) -

honestly there is something so perfect about the fact that this $100m blockbuster about taking a stand against institutional greed has become one of the year's biggest box-office bombs

Robin Hood (2018) -

honestly there is something so perfect about the fact that this $100m blockbuster about taking a stand against institutional greed has become one of the year's biggest box-office bombs
People don't seem interested in these types of movies.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - 15M OW
Robin Hood - 9M OW
The Huntsman: Winter's War - 19 OW

The Crowe Robin Hood didn't do well enough to start a series. Are these movies dead?

Welcome to the human race...
I doubt it. The character is public domain so anyone can make a movie about him if they feel like it and there's always a chance that someone will try again once the memory of the last attempt has sufficiently faded. Patrick Willems made a good point about how movie execs seem to assume that characters like King Arthur or Robin Hood being known to the public means that there's an untapped fan base waiting for these characters to get their own superhero-style franchises. The fact of the matter is there's a difference between knowing a character exists and caring enough about them to put down money to see them - and most people seem to fall into the former category. It also doesn't help that the movies don't look too good in the first place.

First Reformed (2017)

Obviously I don't get the love. It tries to be deep and there's some good ideas, but it takes on too much and I couldn't buy into a whole lot. Ethan Hawke was good but he needed to be incredible. It's filmed well and has a good sense of unease.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
there's some good ideas
Ethan Hawke was good
It's filmed well
has a good sense of unease.
Negative rating scale warning!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

MATCH POINT (Woody Allen)

9/10

Highly Recommended! That's a movie about luck in life.
Full of twists and suspense.

[center]First Reformed (2017)

Obviously I don't get the love. It tries to be deep and there's some good ideas, but it takes on too much and I couldn't buy into a whole lot. Ethan Hawke was good but he needed to be incredible. It's filmed well and has a good sense of unease.
Well that doesn't look too promising

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Last film watched

The Ides of March (2011)

Thought this was just fine. Clooney is a competent director and the acting is good but I never felt I way paying full attention when watching this.

Snooze factor rating = Z

Snooze factor rating = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Steamboat Round The Bend (John Ford, 1935)

Another great Ford film that much like the steamboat race, really hots up as it gets further in with a great finish.

The Lady Eve (Preston Sturges, 1941)

Like a weird comedy version of Vertigo... real good fun with some great performances and fantastic direction to go with it.

Femme Fatale (2002) I enjoyed it like most of De Palma's movies, not his best work but it is suspenseful and had nice twists and turns and what you'd expect from his movies. Definitely a good erotic thriller.