Movies That Make You Think

Tools    

I can agree with you @Captain Steel on Apollo 13. And I generally like ' survival' movies. Would also include, as one poster did, 'surviving against alien invasions ' as survival movies, would you?

Btw I just mentioned that I am a fan of K19, a movie taking place in a submarine. It didn't get a lot of positive reviews, but seemed thought provoking and fascinating to me.

And I'm still hoping to see
your ( and CR's) list of thought provoking movies, if you get a chance.
Well, there's Mindwalk (1990)! It will either make you think or put you to sleep for 2 hours!

Also (just off the top of my head):
Jacob's Ladder
Moon
Pleasantville
Being There
Field of Dreams
About Time
Solaris
Memento
Minority Report
Passengers
Castaway

...And I'm still hoping to see
your ( and CR's) list of thought provoking movies, if you get a chance.
A lot of good films make me feel and reflect, but as far as thought provoking movies, those are far and few between for me. I just skimmed the entire thread and while there are a few movies mentioned that I love, like Blade Runner and a few I hate...I wouldn't call any of them thought provoking (to me). I'll keep thinking about it

Jacob's Ladder
Moon
Pleasantville
Being There
Field of Dreams
About Time
Solaris
Memento
Minority Report
Passengers
Castaway
That's a good list, I've seen them all except for Being There and Field of Dreams. I just watched Memento and disliked it. But the rest, yeah...they made me reflect and ponder. Does that count as thought provoking? If so I'd say for me tops is:

Moon
Solaris
Minority Report
Passengers
Castaway

One that I'd add is Predestination (2014). GBG told me about that one.

One film that made me think a lot was Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988).

As strange as it may sound, I think it was a deeper film than most realized on many levels:

It made me think about the history of animation, the history of California, 1940's Hollywood, film noir & detective fiction (the genre the general plot was spoofing), the nature of humor in movies, the whole "Wold-Newton" aspect of different properties being brought together for the first time in one presentation as if they all inhabited the same universe!
(Another thread on that idea:
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=43277)

It made me think about alternate realities, artificial lifeforms, what constitutes life and sentience, and the controversy over "killing" toons as contained in the film (I engaged in many a debate on the old IMDB discussion boards on this topic)!

It made me think about the controversy over whether killing the animated shoe was too scary, immoral or traumatic for children (along with the somewhat frightening visuals in the revelation of Judge Doom). It made me think about alcoholism, life, death and true love!

Hashtag Brownies, "American Beauty" made me think about how a man's lust and desire to escape an unhappy marriage caused him to project a seductive image onto a teen girl.

That's creepy! You've done that psychic thing before too. Maybe you're a medium and don't know it
Don't know if anyone will believe this, but I just got back from tonight's walk - I walk into the house and I could hear it on the TV... my mom's got TCM tuned in and what is she watching? 12 Angry Men - it's on right now on TCM! Check the listings for yourself!

Don't know if anyone will believe this, but I just got back from tonight's walk - I walk into the house and I could hear it on the TV... my mom's got TCM tuned in and what is she watching? 12 Angry Men - it's on right now on TCM! Check the listings for yourself!
Gosh, I don't remember where but I swear there was at least one other time that happened to you and you posted about it. You might be like a metaphysical lighting rod?

Or maybe you're in touch with another dimension That's all extra spooky! Wasn't there a theory on Synchronicity? Or am I just thinking of the song by The Police.

Gosh, I don't remember where but I swear there was at least one other time that happened to you and you posted about it. You might be like a metaphysical lighting rod?

Or maybe you're in touch with another dimension That's all extra spooky! Wasn't there a theory on Synchronicity? Or am I just thinking of the song by The Police.
I gotta stop watching the Twilight Zone every night!

I gotta stop watching the Twilight Zone every night!
Now, that is a coincidence! As recently I rewatched all the old Twilight Zones. I'm sure Rod Sterling covered that aspect of the metaphysical in one of the shows, but I can't seem to remember right now.

Now, that is a coincidence! As recently I rewatched all the old Twilight Zones. I'm sure Rod Sterling covered that aspect of the metaphysical in one of the shows, but I can't seem to remember right now.
There's a network in my area called "ME TV" (features older shows) and they show the Twilight Zone at 12:30 am with the hour-long episodes at 12:00 am on Sunday nights.

I've been surprised to catch a couple I never saw before (despite watching parts the marathons when they run every year).

I'm also surprised at how many recurring actors / actresses they had on it, both in lead roles and background ones.

Sorry to keep posting trivia, but I caught one Twilight Zone episode that may have been unique among all the others...
It was called "A World of His Own" with Keenan Wynn as a writer who's characters come to life.

We all know that Rod Serling appeared at the beginning of each episode to introduce the show, and sometimes at the end, but in this one he reappears at the end to do the epilogue, but this time he actually interacts with the show's characters - as Keenean Wynn talks with and even addresses Rod by name, before "erasing" him from the script... and Rod disappears! Only episode I know of where Rod speaks with the characters and is even injected as a humorous part of the story.

So Far:
Lost Highway Prestige Twilight Zone

Mullholland Drive Angel Heart

Inception Total Recall

Momento Blade Runner

Things to come The Big Sleep

Mindwalk Dark City

2001 a space oddyssey Exorcism of Emily rose

Fight Club Schindler's List

Dr Strangelove Brazil

Deer Hunter Crimson Tide

Gone Girl Cool Hand Luke

Mary and Max A Thousand clowns

Cache K-19

American Beauty La Strada

Anomalisa Battle of the Sexes

Rope Darkest Hour

We Need to Talk to Kevin Home

Super Size Me Jacob's Ladder

Clerks Moon

Following Pleasantville

Eraserhead Being There

Blade Runner Field of Dreams

Memories of Murder About Time

The man from Earth Solaris

Syndoche, New York Minority Report

Slipstream Passengers

Pay it Forard Who Framed Roger Rabit

Under the Skin

2001 A Space Odyssey and Contact made me think about our existence.

Jagten The Hunt - Left me feeling deeply uncomfortable. Imagine being in the position of the lead character.

Swades - Made me think about all the possibilities one can make their countries better, before prompting me to take up social work in my spare time. If more people cared for others, then this world would be a better place.

Gone Girl - I watched it a two months before my wedding. And I swear a part me wondered, whether I really knew my fiance.

Inception, I watched it thrice to understand the esseence of the movie