Alita: Battle Angel (2018)

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yes? But I'm ready to be proven wrong.
Throwing you out of Arthouse Mafia in 3... 2... 1...

@Velvet reps my posts so fast, he reps them even before I post them!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Yes? But I'm ready to be proven wrong.
Throwing you out of Arthouse Mafia in 3... 2... 1...

@Velvet reps my posts so fast, he reps them even before I post them!
Wait! I'm sorry! I just posted that on impulse.

I have a great b-movie!

I'm sorry I doubted you. It won't happen again.

I'm sure there's some psychology behind liking big eyes as well. I remember reading an article about kids liking puppies with really big eyes but forget the content.
It's the general psychology of cuteness:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuteness

Human minds are wired to have an attraction for it. It's basic mammal instincts to feel protective feelings towards things that like look infants.

Originally Posted by wikipedia
Nancy Etcoff, Ph.D. in psychology from Boston University, said "cartoonists capitalize on our innate preferences for juvenile features", and she mentioned Mickey Mouse and Bambi as examples of this trend. She said Mickey Mouse's bodily proportions "aged in reverse" since his inception, because his "[h]is eyes and head kept getting bigger while his limbs kept getting shorter and thicker", culminating in him resembling a "human infant". She further mentioned the "exaggerated high forehead" and the "doe eyes" of Bambi as another example of this trend.[19]
Mark J. Estren, Ph.D. in psychology from the University at Buffalo,[20] said cute animals get more public attention and scientific study due to having physical characteristics that would be considered neotenous from the perspective of human development. Estren said that humans should be mindful of their bias for cute animals, so animals that would not be considered cute are also valued in addition to cute animals.[21]
The perception of cuteness is culturally diverse. The differences across cultures can be significantly associated to the need to be socially accepted.[22]
Always used by cartoonists (specially but, not exclusively, in East Asia cartoonists) it is starting to be used in live action movies with CGI, though with "mixed" results.

Also, some actresses look pretty "cute" like the lead actress mother of dragons from game of thrones whose character or name I forgot.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yeah I noticed it was popular with cartoonists, and looking back, when I was a kid we used to draw kids and animals with enormous eyes. No one taught us to do it; we just did. Enormous eyelashes as well. Even fish lol

Thanks for posting, guapo.

I'll be checking out it and looking up the manga as well.
I've seen the animated version but never read the manga so I'll have to check that out
The OVA is just an adaptation of a few chapters of the manga (the same with this movie). The manga actually started in 1990 and finished in 1995 but the author, Yukito Kishiro decided to continue the story because he felt like the original ending was unsatisfying so the manga resumed in 2000-2001, with a "sequel" called Last Order and now he made up a new arc and so it is still going under the name Mars Chronicles. Overall the manga

I guess the manga will be never be finished since it is his own world building project. It is like Issac Asimov's science fiction universe.

I did a fairly long review of Last Order in my comics thread:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...52#post1370552

Yeah I noticed it was popular with cartoonists, and looking back, when I was a kid we used to draw kids and animals with enormous eyes. No one taught us to do it; we just did. Enormous eyelashes as well. Even fish lol

Thanks for posting, guapo.
I was reading an auto-biographical manga of a woman's struggle with depression and she wrote in the manga that since she appears in many panels she should look cute:

I was reading an auto-biographical manga of a woman's struggle with depression and she wrote in the manga that since she appears in many panels she should look cute:

When I lived in Japan cosmetic surgery for big manga eyes was big business. So sad. They look beautiful as they are.

I didn't know that.
Yeah I had some friends tell me about it There was a lot of different cosmetic surgery to make them look 'more western'. I havent been back yet since I lived there and that was a while ago so hopefully it's changed.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The OVA is just an adaptation of a few chapters of the manga (the same with this movie). The manga actually started in 1990 and finished in 1995 but the author, Yukito Kishiro decided to continue the story because he felt like the original ending was unsatisfying so the manga resumed in 2000-2001, with a "sequel" called Last Order and now he made up a new arc and so it is still going under the name Mars Chronicles. Overall the manga

I guess the manga will be never be finished since it is his own world building project. It is like Issac Asimov's science fiction universe.

I did a fairly long review of Last Order in my comics thread:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...52#post1370552
quite the saga review on Last Order. Intriguing setup on what IS above Tiphares.
The linework for the manga looks incredibly well done and I'm curious to see the world beyond the fights that occur in the short animated version of Alita -- THANKS

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Glad to see Rodriguez getting a big budget film, even though he said at one time "he didn't care to do these types of films because of control issues."

Nice trailer, but something doesn't look quite right.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
New trailer looks incredible.

"I do not stand by, in the presence of evil"

Based on this trailer, I will be very surprised if this movie is not one of the biggest box office flops next year ...

Why do you say that? Is it because Cameron has went sort of bunkers making a ton of Avatar & Terminator sequels?

WTF. No! NO! WHY!? WHY PIXAR, WHY!?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 11.27.19 PM.png
Views:	149
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	49926  

I'm interested, but I don't think this is going to appeal to the masses.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm interested, even if I think it won't do that well.

Suspect's Reviews

Apparently Cameron loves to title his movies with an A or a T. Hence the title jumble. It's PG-13... this won't have any of the great ultra-violence that was so cool in the anime. But I'll watch it at least once.