The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm not even really supposed to be here, as I haven't watched a majority of the movies of this era. But here I am, and first of all I'd like to thank @mark f for posting that thoughtful review of GWTW - especially for those insights about Mammy as the wisest character and the maturation of belle Scarlett.
I also will comment that of all the films I've seen ( and haven't yet seen) from the 30's, I cannot imagine hardly any movie scoring higher than GWTW. It is a classic that reaches across the years and never fades. Meaningful and entertaining and richly engaging and the epitome of everything a great movie should be.

And for me ( even tho I haven't voted in this list but CR has graciously encouraged me to butt in with comments) GWTW would rate at the top of the list.

Except for one movie - and that would be the joyous and timeless Wizard of Oz . It's a close call, but that is my personal favorite of all the 30's movies. And here's why: It appeals ( as many great movies, such as To Kill A Mockingbird) to the child and adult in us all. It never goes out of style, : generation after generation of children are enthralled by this film, not to mention the countless remakes. It is as reassuring to return to as watching the glittering stars in the night sky - as filled with gentle and familiar guidance as the North Star, and filling us with the same wonder that never dims when we gaze upon the Milky Way. It is simply- as the best creations in literature and cinema must be- universal.

But here's the deepest ( and my personal) reason I rate it #1 - I am a music lover who attends all sorts of concerts, song circles and friendly jams. I can tell you that there is one song - whenever it's heard, whoever sings it, and however it's sung - that makes the entire crowd hush and listen and wipe a tear from their faces , which fill with fond remembrance and joyful wonder.

And that is Over the Rainbow.

For everything this movie is to its millions of fans , and for everything that Over the Rainbow is to 80 years of we singers and listeners, I rate The Wizard of Oz as Number 1.

And now - on with the list - and I still eagerly await the input of the 30s cinemaphile contributors who are surely more informed and diligent than I.

But here's the deepest ( and my personal) reason I rate it #1 - I am a music lover who attends all sorts of concerts, song circles and friendly jams. I can tell you that there is one song - whenever it's heard, whoever sings it, and however it's sung - that makes the entire crowd hush and listen and wipe a tear from their faces , which fill with fond remembrance and joyful wonder.

And that is Over the Rainbow.

For everything this movie is to its millions of fans , and for everything that Over the Rainbow is to 80 years of we singers and listeners, I rate The Wizard of Oz as Number 1.
LL, that is a very nice homage to The Wizard of Oz, and to the great Harold Arlen/E.Y. Harburg song, Over the Rainbow. "Rainbow" is the #1 best song ever written for a movie or musical. It's one of those seemingly divinely inspired masterpieces that come along once in a great while. And there could not have been a more fitting singer than Judy Garland to have premiered it in that wonderful film.

~Doc

It Happened One Night was my #2 Film. I love this movie it's got Citizen Rules written all over it! Gable is cool and Claudette is a dish! The banter between the two is the stuff of script writer legends.

It Happened One Night
(
Frank Capra, 1934)

The movie that made Frank Capra a household name and was the first film to win all of the top five Academy Award categories the Oscar Grand Slam: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Screenplay.

Left to right: Little Shirley Temple presents the Oscar for Best Actress to Claudette Colbert who didn't expect to win and had to be fetched from the train station. Middle, director Frank Capra holds his Oscar for Best Director a win that marked the start of a bright directing career...Right, Lionel Barrymore admires the Oscar that Clark Gable just won for Best Actor.

It Happened One Night
was a small budget film from a then much smaller film studio, Columbia. Neither Clark Gable or Claudette Colbert had much hope of this quickie film that was shot mostly on location in only 30 days of making much of an impact. But it did!

Audiences loved the smart ass banter between the two leads, and unlike other romantic comedies of the time, the two actors never get all lovey dovey. Gable never even kisses Claudette. This made the film stand out. The everyday working man played by Clark Gable was someone audiences could relate to. And they loved seeing the rich girl having to rough it on the open road, which was just desserts for a depression era audience.

This is not a screwball comedy, I don't know when this was labeled a screwball comedy, but it's not. It's more of a comic road trip movie, in which the rich spoiled girl at every turn loses a bit of something, until she's penniless and without a change of clothes or even food to eat. It's very much like the John Candy film Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Claudette Colbert is very charming in this, her leg-hitch hiking scene has become a classic. Clark Gable is really in fine form and played a role that he hadn't done before which was the roguish smart ass. He would go on to big things and often played similar characters based on his role here.

It Happened One Night
is one of the great classic films of the 1930s!

It Happened One Night. is rather fun up until the latter stages which I think let it down a little but it was still in the running for my ballot and only just missed out on a spot.

Seen: 69/98
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
2. Theodora Goes Wild

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It Happened One Night is my #22. The first Capra film I ever watched - it's a wonderful screwball comedy with everything just about perfect, among them the cast featuring stalwarts Walter Connolly, Ward Bond, Alan Hale and Roscoe Karns. Colbert and Gable share some of the most romantic scenes ever and dig that gyrocopter!

I had It Happened One Night at #4. So it's a battle now between M and The Wizard of Oz. I'm really hoping for an upset, but I have a feeling Oz is going to be the winner by a huge margin, but man, what a showing by M. Good job, MoFo's!

My List:

2. City Lights (#5)
3. Modern Times (#7)
4. It Happened One Night (#3)
5. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (#11)
6. Bringing Up Baby (#8)
7. The Grand Illusion (#14)
8. The Lady Vanishes (#22)
9. All Quiet on the Western Front (#6)
10. The Thin Man (#25)
11. Ninotchka (#36)
12. The 39 Steps (#13)
13. Frankenstein (#19)
14 Horse Feathers (#51)
15. A Night at the Opera (#27)
16. The Invisible Man (#30)
17. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
18. Boudu Saved from Drowing (Boudu sauvé des eaux) (DNP)
19. The Awful Truth (#60)
20. Vampyr (#24)
21. My Man Godfrey (#31)
23. Fury (#68)
24. Freaks (#9)
25. City Girl (#74)

It Happened One Night was my #2 Film. I love this movie it's got Citizen Rules written all over it! Gable is cool and Claudette is a dish! The banter between the two is the stuff of script writer legends.
Nice review, too, CR! Great movie, still enjoy watching it. It made #18 on my list.

#2 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (10)
#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#7 The Thin Man (25)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#9 King Kong (16)
#10 A Night at the Opera (27)
#11 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (17)
#12 My Man Godfrey (31)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#18 It Happened One Night (3)
#19 Stagecoach (23)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)
#22 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (28)
#23 The Roaring Twenties (21)

i had it happened one night at #12. glad to see my last-minute viewing paid off, putting it ahead of gone with the wind, which wasn't on my list.
criticker

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It Happened One Night was the winner of the 30s HoF Part 2 and #16 on my list.

It Happened One Night

How you do hitchhike successfully to get a car to stop for ya??
Miss Claudette Colbert will show ya!

Of all the times I've read IMDb and checked out References made to a particular movie, I have NEVER seen such a MASSIVE list as the one I saw for this one. Largely regarding this specific scene in so many other films, with people remarking on how they saw it in a movie. AKA THIS movie.

And that is simply one scene in this great Frank Capra film.
Colbert has run away from her father in Florida and is hightailing it to the man she had eloped with previously. In her attempt NOT to be caught, she hops a bus, where she crosses paths, and words, with Gable's character, a recently fired newspaperman.Who, once realizing who she is and the great story in the making, sticks to her like glue for the exclusive.

Now, I don't know if this is considered one of the original Road Trip movies, but it has a lot of the parameters that such films use as staples.
And, forgive the cliche, but the first time around does remain as the best time around and Capra does his usual charm in creating a cast of characters that you can't help but enjoy. Along with some hi-jinks and situations that they have to work around, while finding themselves falling for one another.

A truly enjoyable romp, if I must so.
And I will.
Watched 64/98 (65.3%)
List: 19/25 + (1 pointer)

1) Top Five
2) Freaks (#9)
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8) A Night at the Opera (#27)
9) City Lights (#5)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11) The Scarlet Pimpernel (Did not make it)
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
14) Dr. Jekell & Mr. Hyde (#28)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16) It Happened One Night (#3)
17) Virtue (Did Not Make It)
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
21) Babes in Toyland aka March of the Wooden Soldiers (Didn't Make it)
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23) Frankenstein (#19)
24) Dawn Patrol (Didn't Make It)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

I had "One Night" at #5, so I was between you, Kaplan, and Cricket.

This was a lovely film, with plenty of appeal, laughs and light romance, which ended up being a smash hit. The Academy loved it too, being the first film to win all 5 major Oscars.

The film would be practically unimaginable without Gable playing the roguish reporter. It was a good part for Colbert, who had enough classy appeal to play it. I never thought of Colbert as beautiful, but she was attractive, and very feminine (as were most actresses of the era).

This was one of those happy outcomes for an occasional film (like Casablanca) which were quickly made, and not thought to be successful.

~Doc

@lenslady you're always welcomed and I'm glad whenever you're around I enjoy reading your post as you imbibe a bit of warmth to your words. Which makes it easy to feel your passion for The Wizard of Oz! Believe it or not I've only seen that film once and that was only a few years ago. Oh I suppose I might have seen bits of the film on TV when I was a kid but it wasn't until recent that I discovered it. So I don't have the nostalgia for it that others do...But I do appreciate the film and especially Judy Garland's rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It's an uplifting song of hope but Judy Garland sings it with a touch of despair from deep within her soul. In that moment when she sings, she ceases to be Dorothy and becomes Judy Garland, who could pour her heart into her songs like no one else.

...I never thought of Colbert as beautiful, but she was attractive, and very feminine (as were most actresses of the era).
I totally like Claudette Colbert Thanks to her I got the movie watching bug and so joined MoFo! She's like one of my top 10 favorite actresses. I should rewatch all her films and also catch the ones I haven't seen for a long while. She's always great to watch.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm playing catch-up again, and surprisingly, (or maybe not so surprisingly), only one movie since my last post made my list.

It Happened One Night is a wonderful rom-com, and it was #12 on my list.

Bringing Up Baby and Gone With the Wind were both strongly considered for my list, but they just didn't make it into my top 25.

I watched Modern Times for this countdown, and it was okay, but it didn't make my list. I ran out of time before watching City Lights, so it wasn't on my list either.

I watched All Quiet on the Western Front and Freaks for HoFs, and they were both good movies, but neither movie was considered for my list.

My List (so far):
1) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
4) Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
6) Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)
8) Trouble in Paradise (1932)
9) Bachelor Mother (1939)
10) You Can't Take It with You (1938)
12) It Happened One Night (1934)
15) The Awful Truth (1937)
16) My Man Godfrey (1936)
19) The Young in Heart (1938)
22) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
23) Pygmalion (1938)