Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Best Hotel on Skid Row Los Angeles, California - 10/10

I lived in one of these projects in what was then the #1 most dangerous city in the US... I hope I kept an on-going journal, but was remembering similar things (drugs, hookers, death, etc) and the people I interacted with. The biggest problem I had was all the back and forth walking past my door (very light sleeper) and the 3:30am knock on your door (total stranger) asking for a ride so she can pick up her kids. Gosh, I can think of a dozen of these crazy stories. Hahaha!

Kill List

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Biopic about a Canadian folk artist nobody has heard of - Maud Lewis. Sally Hawkins really good as Maud & Ethan Hawke good as her pig of a husband. Worth watching.

Biopic about a Canadian folk artist nobody has heard of - Maud Lewis. Sally Hawkins really good as Maud & Ethan Hawke good as her pig of a husband. Worth watching.
I really liked that one too.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Instant Family

(2018)
3.75/5

If you need a good cry, this is the movie for it!

3.75 = Not enough Tom Segura

Manila in the Claws of Light (1975)

-

I watched this after loving Insiang, which is another movie from director Lino Brocka. A young man from a poor fishing village goes to Manila to search for his long time girlfriend. She went there with a woman who came to the village looking for pretty girls with promises of good factory work and schooling. Obviously that woman was up to no good. The young man searching goes from misery to hell, and the movie is one tragedy after another. It's very bleak and heartbreaking, and it's authenticity off the charts.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
It's not a comedy so why does the comedian matter?

Sorry. The big grin smiley face denotes a tongue-in-cheek joke. I should do a better job spelling it out.

And literally every listing I found (imdb, box office mojo, wiki) defines its genre as comedy.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Michael Palin in North Korea
I was hoping no one would misunderstand or step on each others' toes. Michael Palin appears to be a nice guy, but there's no reason he has to use the word "propaganda" over and over. Especially considering he's from England.

Big Fish and Begonia
(Chinese: Da Yu Hai Tang)

4/5

Beautiful film, beautiful story.

now included with

Wolf Children
Spirited Away

as an animated favorite.

Weird is relative.

Big Fish and Begonia
(Chinese: Da Yu Hai Tang)

4/5

Beautiful film, beautiful story.

now included with

Wolf Children
Spirited Away

as an animated favorite.
I loved that one too! I'm happy it was finally released in North America this year.

Intruder (1989)

A killer stalks overnight workers of a supermarket. The story had me with high hopes but unfortunately is was a disappointment. Besides some good kills, it's pretty worthless.

Duelle (une quarantaine) (1976, Jacques Rivette)

Rivette mixes fantasy, mystery and noir in this sensuous, mesmeric charade of a film, like only he can. Great cast (Juliet Berto and Bulle Ogier are gorgeous here), amazing atmosphere, and (unlike in the case of Noroît) a story that's actually interesting to follow.

Loved it.

Ride Along (2014)

I must be 1/2 canned as i really enjoyed this. Some of the one liners are good laugh out loud stuff. Forget the plot, have a beer and enjoy Ice Cube trying to act...6/10

One Deadly Summer (1983)

Beautifully acted throughout. It has the feeling of "there's something in the woodshed" about it but the acting and storytelling make you not mind because of the pace of the film and dialogue. There's no big "reveal", rather a grinding inevitability. Excellent 9/10

Snooze factor rating = Z

Snooze factor rating = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it