MOFO 80's Teen Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

I found a movie on IMDB I want to watch tonight

got several good things about it...

1. It has to do with a Cult
2. It has to do with a Prophecy

and the best part

Rufus Sewell.. hellva ugly guy but damn great actor... so underrated.

I have no idea who Rufus Sewell is?
Have you ever seen Heath Ledger's film " A Knight's Tale"?

Have you ever seen "Dark City"?

Years ago I read a book called "Bless The Child".. it was about a drug-addicted young mom who gave her mother her fatherless child to raise... years later, the young mother came back home, all cleaned up from drugs and engaged to a man and she wanted her child back. But things were not as they were to be seen. Now this man was a leader of a satanic cult and believe that this young child could bring back Satan. The book was great... then they made a movie and changed a few things around... Rufus Sewell was the actor who played the satanic cult leader.

@Citizen Rules , I recommend his first two films but I don't think you would enjoy "Bless The Child" but he's in other good movies as well.

Rufus Sewell makes a great bad guy!
I hate him - which means he's really convincing as a villain.

He played Alexander Hamilton in the John Adams (HBO) series - and Hamilton was not portrayed as a great guy in either the series or the book it was based on.

Just caught a bit of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter on TV the other night (I don't watch edited movies with commercials on TV so only glanced at it), but I saw Sewell playing the main Vampire - so now I'd like to see the whole movie.

He was the best part of Bless the Child - he seemed to emanate evil right out of the screen!

Plus I worked with a guy named Sewell who I really didn't like - which only helps in my disliking the evil that Rufus puts into his characters!

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
As usually I can't find any of movies from thsi HoF, which I haven't seen on legal websites
I will watch Akira, because I found it somewhere, but the rest is elusive to me. Too bad

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)

Weird Science (1985)

Funny at times, but one of John Hughes' most inept films.

John Hughes was on a roll in the 1980s writing and directing such critically acclaimed hits as: The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Uncle Buck and Plains Trains & Automobiles. All those films have one thing in common...they accurately delve into the psyche of outsider teens. Those films excel at creating character depth which then drives the story forward, thus making those films great.

But John Hughes wrote Weird Science in a mere two days and it shows. Instead of insightful teen angst, that comes from real world type situations, we get fart, boob, crap and bra jokes, in lieu of anything more introspective. The first 20 minutes is pure spectacle as the boys hack into a Pentagon super computer and thereby create the woman of their dreams. I have to say the first 20 minutes was pretty dull, but once Kelly Le Brock shows up things do improve. Oh sure Miss Le Brock was hired for her pouty lips and hot bod, but she's also real good in her role as Lisa, the dream woman with spirit!

Anthony Michael Hall fresh off The Breakfast Club shows he still had the chops to delivery fast dialogue imbibed with his style of jittery quick speech. And he's good too, especially in the blues bar scene when he's drunk and trying to be oh so hip.

On the other hand, his side kick Wyatt played by Ilan Mitchell-Smith, is just plain lack luster with a whiny voice that makes you want to see him get his ass kicked by the mutant bikers that show up at their party.

Very cool to see Australian actor Vernon Wells recreate his role from The Road Warrior (1981) as a mutant biker dude. They even get the mohawk and leather studded costume down pat. I've got to give a shout out to the great Bill Paxton. He was one helluva a colorful bad guy here and a really talented actor too.

Despite a few good actors and a few good laughs, Weird Science main claim to fame for me is the title song by Oingo Boingo.
Have to agree it lacks depth. I’d sum it up by calling it a 80s nerd ultimate fantasy type movie. Both end up being the heroes and getting the..... spoilers. I watched it again recently with a few others on this list. Apologies haven’t written them up not that I have a vote it’s not a movie to be taken seriously. Just good absurd fun but have to be in a carefree mood I guess.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm sorry that I haven't been around for the past couple of weeks, but I've been very busy with work. Hopefully I'll find some time to write up some movies after Black Friday.

I just wanted to check in and let everyone know that I'm still in this HoF. I've watched most of the movies, and with only one exception, I've liked the movies that I've watched so far. (I didn't hate the one movie, but I just didn't like it as much as the rest of the movies I watched.)

I think the only two movies I have left to watch are Weird Science and Akira, and a rewatch of my nomination, (My Bodyguard).

Stand by Me (1986)

I've seen it before and liked it..This time around, I still enjoyed it.

It was nicely shot and that really added to the film's appeal. I enjoyed seeing the country side and the small town. I've been to one of the areas where they filmed, Cottage Grove Oregon.

All the kid actors were excellent in this. I wish there had been more character arcs for the four leads and less time spent with the bigger teen bullies (Kieffer Sutherland and his gang). The teen bullies added nothing to the film IMO and took away from the more important coming of age story. The film was already short at 90 minutes so I don't think the teen bullies were needed. When they were in the film it felt more like a Hollywood entertainment film and I thought they were silly.

I liked the story of the boys going on a distant journey and traveling down the railroad tracks, that was symbolic for them growing up. Good movie.

Grease 2 (1982)

I love this movie!
It's fun and energetic!
It's light & bouncy and full of energy like an 80s music video. It's got great song numbers, that are more 80s pop rock than they typical movie musical songs. The cast is awesome and everybody looks like they're having a blast going back to school at good ol' Rydell!

I love that much of the filming was done on location and not in a studio. I love that
Michelle Pfeiffer did her own singing and her own stunt riding on the motorcycle too. The motorcycle ride scene has got to be the craziest stunt put onto film. She was nuts for doing that

She's amazing in this and makes the movie, so did the leader of the T-Birds Johnny (Adrian Zmed) who's a blast riot...All of the T-Birds were pretty darn colorful. So were the Pink Ladies, what a fun cast! Many people consider Michael (Maxwell Caulfield) the lead because he gets top billing and yes he's not that exciting, but he's not suppose to be, as he's a square and the male equivalent of Sandy from Grease. His onscreen time is actually limited with Johnny the leader of the T-Birds getting most of the good lines, and that's why the movie works.

I loved the songs: Back to School that one had nice choreography.
Michelle Pfeiffer's song Cool Rider and damn she can actual dance too! Loved the part on top of the high ladder, she's fearless. Reproduction is a hilariously naughty & sexual charged song. The bowling alley number is great visually too. And of course my favorite is this:

If I could only watch one movie, Grease 2 might just be it!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grease 2 1982.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	49856  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have you ever seen Heath Ledger's film " A Knight's Tale"?

Have you ever seen "Dark City"?

Years ago I read a book called "Bless The Child".. it was about a drug-addicted young mom who gave her mother her fatherless child to raise... years later, the young mother came back home, all cleaned up from drugs and engaged to a man and she wanted her child back. But things were not as they were to be seen. Now this man was a leader of a satanic cult and believe that this young child could bring back Satan. The book was great... then they made a movie and changed a few things around... Rufus Sewell was the actor who played the satanic cult leader.

Sewell IS great and underrated. He is sublime as a bad guy. Loved him in The Illusionist

Sewell IS great and underrated. He is sublime as a bad guy. Loved him in The Illusionist
Yeah I watched it last night.. I knew he was in it... I have seen several of his films.

Yeah I watched it last night.. I knew he was in it... I have seen several of his films.
I've seen The Illusionist, you might have recommended it to me. Someone did after I reviewed the The Prestige. Have you seen that one?

I've seen The Illusionist, you might have recommended it to me. Someone did after I reviewed the The Prestige. Have you seen that one?
Yup, I have seen The Prestige at the cinema... when it first came out.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Stand By Me

I don't know if there is any other film that really captures friendship like this one does. Even though I did not grow up in this time period, I connected with each and every kid with their struggles, their humour and relationships.

Based on the Stephen King short The Body, Stand By Me manages to be unique enough that people forget that it's a Stephen King story. King does well with characters and that translates well to the screen here.

There are a lot of 'moments' in this film that are memorable. I don't think of just one, I think of them all. Pie eating contest, sick-balls, leach on groin, dead body, baseball-mailbox, etc. These scenes act as childhood memories almost.

I don't know if any other film really makes me think about my childhood as much as this one. The last line in this film is depressingly true.

Love this movie.

Suspect's Reviews

Review list in first thread is updated. Please let me know if anyone's review is missed.