MoFo Health Thread

Tools    

I have one now.. and the woman at work has one she let me use.
Is your BP still high right now? Has it been high in the past? Usually a person with high BP will have had a past history of having higher BP in the past.

I was going to post back and say Sudafed will raise your BP, it does me. It works by shrinking up capillaries so that your nose isn't clogged, but smaller capillaries also drive up your blood pressure, especially if you're already prone to higher BP levels. Read the label on Sudafed/Mucinex and see what it says about warnings for Blood Pressure.

I'm signing off right now, but I will check back tomorrow.

Is your BP still high right now? Has it been high in the past? Usually a person with high BP will have had a past history of having higher BP in the past.

I was going to post back and say Sudafed will raise your BP, it does me. It works by shrinking up capillaries so that your nose isn't clogged, but smaller capillaries also drive up your blood pressure, especially if you're already prone to higher BP levels. Read the label on Sudafed/Mucinex and see what it says about warnings for Blood Pressure.

I'm signing off right now, but I will check back tomorrow.
Mine fluctuates. I had a health coach at work who took my blood pressure at random times during the day.. some days in the morning, then a week or so in the afternoon after lunch and then before I left for the day.

It was never high.. but never at normal. Again the only time I see a doctor is when I don't feel good and that's when she says its high.

I see a dermatologist now and they have never said anything about it being high.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I don't even use a stove or oven; in fact, I use it for storage...

Doesn't everybody? Oh wait, I've got a dishwasher cabinet too.

Update.

Regarding weight, I'm trying to lose it at a slower rate because I hear that helps the skin adjust which can reduce loose skin. I think that month last year when I lost 24 pounds was too quick, maybe. I'm eager to lose this gut but I need to do it right, which means a steadier rate and more water!

This week has been great, a significant improvement over the prior week. I went to the farmer's market and got a bunch of stuff last Wednesday, and the idea is I use it up by the next Wednesday, and go back. This is good for me because it allows me to cook at home with lots of vegetables, and also stops me from eating out at restaurants, which I used to do daily. So yeah, I've been cooking a lot. The other night I made "braised tempeh and bok choy in a spicy ginger sauce" as it was called. Pretty good. Delicate balance in cooking vegetable, because you want them to taste good but hold their nutrients.

Also, I've been walking on West Cliff every day. That has been the best part of the day (although my best friend and I went to the beach every day last week, which was the actual best part of the day). So great in the morning, when the sun is coming up. Anyone who is familiar with Santa Cruz and West Cliff knows what I mean.

Slow and steady loss is best, it also makes it more likely to be sustainable.

Anyone who is familiar with Santa Cruz and West Cliff knows what I mean.
My fave movie Split was filmed in Santa Cruz in 88. Wonder if its still as progresdive as it was. Good job on thorough planning for health!

You know what is bad?

when you know you will have a tummy ache from eating a 5oz back of Pistachios.... ugh!

So I'm not *worried* about how my weight fluctuates each day, but it's always fun to see a two pound drop, even if there might be reasons for that more than just genuine weight loss.

I've been obsessed with broccoli sprouts, and have started growing my own. Incorporating them into my diet with ease.

Also, this is silly but I was often worried about loose skin when I lost all this weight. I'm not as much anymore because I learned/realized once I get down I can start bulking up and filling out the loose skin with muscle. I don't want to be Arnie big, but not being a lanky twig again sounds reasonable to me.

Good to hear, that's great stuff.

I'm gonna piggyback on your motivation, I'm up a bit after all the travel/dental stuff/holidays. I know it'll be fine, just bleh while I'm still in the middle of an uptick. Back on track today, though.

Re: loose skin. Yeah, it's not going to be as bad as you think, probably, not unless you get really really heavy and then really thin. Maybe some visible marks or something but nothing terrible, and as you say, really good motivation to add muscle.

I'm gonna piggyback on your motivation, I'm up a bit after all the travel/dental stuff/holidays. I know it'll be fine, just bleh while I'm still in the middle of an uptick. Back on track today, though.
I know what you mean. It's easy to lose some steam, especially when holidays roll around. I did just that this last week, and struggled with lethargy and staying motivated. I kept doing my walks and healthy eating, but it was much harder. I think the key is to just realize that struggle will pass as long as you keep your head up and keep moving forward.

Finished my first jar of broccoli seeds, came out nicely although I don't think I grew them long enough. I got a pound and a half more and have started two more jars.

Seeing my personal trainer today. I believe now that we have been focusing on other aspects of my life - nutrition, stress, mind, spirit, and some light stretches and exercises - we have been progressing enough to where he's going to start me on a more substantial workout routine with strength training and cardio. If I'm not mistaken, I am going to start going to the gym on my own, starting with once and then building up from there.

The nutrition stuff is getting a lot better now. I've gotten to the point where my cravings for fast food are minor to none. Tuesday, I went to my psychiatrist in Sacramento (two to three hours away), and tend to get In n Out, so I did. Not out of craving but habit. I'm glad I did because it was a big learning experience. I had been trying to debate whether or not to still eat In n Out even after quitting fast food, because I always loved it a lot. Eating it now that I'm eating a lot healthier wasn't as good. Not only was I stuffing my face with regret, but it didn't taste as good as I remembered, and I ended up getting a stomach ache throughout the day. Gonna stay away from all that stuff now. Actually, I'm at the point where, when eating bad stuff, the regret outweighs the taste. So that's good.

I also think I may eventually take up a martial art or something. I'm thinking boxing, which I am starting to get into. I don't want to do any competitions or stuff, some light one-on-one may be cool but I mostly want to learn the techniques and just get a bag. Seems good for conditioning and also stress relief.

@Swan, I’m Impressed by what you are achieving. Keep it up.

Thank you Stirchley. This thread is a good place to just ramble, and I'm grateful there are some people paying attention.

My personal trainer said if I stay on track I'll be able to start boxing/martial arts this summer.

I'm anticipating a lot of this:

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
My personal trainer said if I stay on track I'll be able to start boxing/martial arts this summer.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I was having some hair and scalp issues so I started buying healthier products from companies like Maple Holistics.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I was having some hair and scalp issues so I started buying healthier products from companies like Maple Holistics.
Hmmm....

Did you change your diet first?

Or do you work for the Chewlies Gumm corporation and its Maple Holistics subsidiary?

A change of diet and coconut oil work wonders. Literally, wipe out half of your medicine cabinet and replace with Coco Oh.

I solved my hair issues with a permanent marker pen

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Thank you Stirchley. This thread is a good place to just ramble, and I'm grateful there are some people paying attention.

I'm anticipating a lot of this:

Boxing’s a great sport. I did it for a number of years and competed. You should get into it. Stopped due to health issues which is what drew me to this thread just now. Btw that gif is Tyson fury. He is arguably the best heavyweight we have now. Not sure if you or many people follow boxing here butvgreat sport, highly recommend doing it and watching it.

I never followed it before Larry, but I'm starting to get into it right now, along with other martial arts.