Fright Night.

Tools    

Hi,

I just watched the movie Fright night. The 1985 version. And I watched it a couple of times. I am confused as to what the heck the Billy Cole person is supposed to be. I know that he is supposed to be a vampire. But he is the weirdest vampire I have ever seen. He is shown as the main vampires like bossum buddy throughout the whole movie. I didn't get it until pretty much the end of the movie that he was something else, other worldly. For most of the movie I just assumed that he was like a butler. But human. Or a human that Jerry Dandrige took kindly to and didn't want to kill. Like maybe it was a homosexual thing. Is this another one of those weird Hollywood pagan things? Because Billy Cole does not make it obvious to me that he is a vampire. He makes a statement before his death, "What are you, Vampire Killers?" And then Peter Vincent shoots him in the head. Then he comes back. And he keeps coming back after continuously getting shot. The last time he almost looks more possessed or zombie like. But you still don't see glowing red eyes. And you never see his fangs. I know that he is a vampire.

But is it possible that he is something else? Like some other kind of monster? Like a ghoul maybe? Because doesn't he do a lot of Jerry Dandrige's dirty work like disposing of dead bodies. And I think Jerry Dandrige is the one that gets to have all the fun killing people. It's like Billy Cole his bossum buddy is basically like his butler. But maybe a ghoul. Because you see him with the big bag disposing the bodies. And that is what ghouls are associated with, like cemetaries and being around dead people. And Billy Cole's really bizarre and graphic looking death to me still did not make it obvious he was a vampire. Green ooze coming out of his hands. Mold on construction materials? His body liquifying into that green snotty looking ooze. And then it became sand. And then his bones and everything shattered.
So what is he?? A vampire of the weirdest kind? Or a ghoul? Or something else? I'm puzzled. Anyone else puzzled by the guy? And you see him walking around in Daylight too like the daylight doesn't bother him. I thought the sun and daylight is the enemy of vampires. Maybe he's just a hologram and they didn't program in the right programming to make it totally a real vampire, so they put a composite of a ton of other weird stuff. I almost want to call him the Lumber Liquidators vampire or the green ooze man ghoul. I am not complaining though. I loved the movie.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
People's best guess is 'Vampire Servant.'

He was bitten by Jerry, but not turned into a full vampire. That's the best guess people have given the clues the film gives, even though there is no definitive answer. It would be interesting if he was something else and then there was a whole series about Peter Vincent and Charlie killing Werewolves, Zombies, etc.

Suspect's Reviews

To me it seems like his character was written as a device for the story concerning Jerry. They just composited him as a supernatural creature with no defining characteristics, but an all encompassing disposition as vampire/demon/ghoul, etc.

He's Jerry's wing man and caretaker. He was most likely given infected treatment just at the cusp of full blown vampire, but not all of the way - for simply being able to walk in daylight and keep an eye out for Jerry's rest time in the coffin.

Am I remembering wrong, or when Charlie asks Evil for the advice on vampires, where he tells him things like he cant enter his house without being invited etc., does he say something about vampires having undead protectors to watch over them during the day while they sleep? It might even be Peter who tells him, it rings a bell that someone does say it. He is an otherworldly creature, but undetermined, like he doesnt betray any of the signs of being a vampire, he is out in sunlight, the cross doesnt harm him etc. The only one really is the stake, which seems to have the power to kill any kind of supernatural creature. Evil is effectively staked in his werewolf state with the piece of wood, even though he isnt a full vampire as he doesnt (as far as we see on screen anyway) kill or feed. Likewise Charlie and Peter have to protect Amy from the sunlight until Jerry is dead.

Am I remembering wrong, or when Charlie asks Evil for the advice on vampires, where he tells him things like he cant enter his house without being invited etc., does he say something about vampires having undead protectors to watch over them during the day while they sleep? It might even be Peter who tells him, it rings a bell that someone does say it. He is an otherworldly creature, but undetermined, like he doesnt betray any of the signs of being a vampire, he is out in sunlight, the cross doesnt harm him etc. The only one really is the stake, which seems to have the power to kill any kind of supernatural creature. Evil is effectively staked in his werewolf state with the piece of wood, even though he isnt a full vampire as he doesnt (as far as we see on screen anyway) kill or feed. Likewise Charlie and Peter have to protect Amy from the sunlight until Jerry is dead.

I believe I remember that. I guess I don't really pay attention to everything that is said in the movie. Some things I think directors and producers, and writers really stretch the viewer to have to assume and deduce. I will be willing to give Fright Night a pass because it is such a good movie. But it does bother me a little. This whole almost a vampire thing sounds kind of like Wesley Snipes character in blade. I will be willing to say that Billy is a supernatural creature, because it takes the stake to kill him. But I kind of want to maybe recant some on saying ghoul, I think what I meant to say was a Golem. What I found on the internet says that a Golem is a super natural creature created by magic often to serve it's creator. And it is shaped out of sand and you dance around it and say a combination of letters and the secret name of God. Maybe pour on some secret syrup. Well this Billy Cole when he dies he turns into sand.

Or maybe they could have had like a little clip of Greta Brawner on CSPAN talking about some kind of supernatural creature, and that would be what put two and two together to know what Billy Cole is. Well I am no expert on the supernatural. I know as much on the supernatural as I do about red eyed tree frogs. And that is Jeff Corwin's expertise.
And supposedly some folklore Vampires and Werewolves are the same thing. Or they both originated from the same place. Like you can kill a werewolf the same way a stake through the heart. And both are afraid of their reflections. I think I read something about that. Well thanks for the help guys. I am sure we'll know when Al Franken writes his next book. And you know the supernatural creatures are like the mafia. They all work together. Kind of like lawyers. I'll just say that he is a golem. Because that's a big deal. That the main scary vampire, Jerry cannot go outside in daylight (we see pretty graphically in the end what the daylight does to him), but his butler guy Billy Cole can. Deceptive.

I believe I remember that. I guess I don't really pay attention to everything that is said in the movie. Some things I think directors and producers, and writers really stretch the viewer to have to assume and deduce. I will be willing to give Fright Night a pass because it is such a good movie. But it does bother me a little. This whole almost a vampire thing sounds kind of like Wesley Snipes character in blade. I will be willing to say that Billy is a supernatural creature, because it takes the stake to kill him. But I kind of want to maybe recant some on saying ghoul, I think what I meant to say was a Golem. What I found on the internet says that a Golem is a super natural creature created by magic often to serve it's creator. And it is shaped out of sand and you dance around it and say a combination of letters and the secret name of God. Maybe pour on some secret syrup. Well this Billy Cole when he dies he turns into sand.

Or maybe they could have had like a little clip of Greta Brawner on CSPAN talking about some kind of supernatural creature, and that would be what put two and two together to know what Billy Cole is. Well I am no expert on the supernatural. I know as much on the supernatural as I do about red eyed tree frogs. And that is Jeff Corwin's expertise.
And supposedly some folklore Vampires and Werewolves are the same thing. Or they both originated from the same place. Like you can kill a werewolf the same way a stake through the heart. And both are afraid of their reflections. I think I read something about that. Well thanks for the help guys. I am sure we'll know when Al Franken writes his next book. And you know the supernatural creatures are like the mafia. They all work together. Kind of like lawyers. I'll just say that he is a golem. Because that's a big deal. That the main scary vampire, Jerry cannot go outside in daylight (we see pretty graphically in the end what the daylight does to him), but his butler guy Billy Cole can. Deceptive.
I think thats fair, from what I know of Golems, it does make sense in a way. Though I think it works that he is deliberately ambiguous as that makes him a little scarier. We know where the threats come from with Jerry, and how to be protected from him. Billy we dont know.

I know all films play around a little with horror mythology, but one constant in vampire myth seems to be that you are not a full vampire until you have killed and fed on blood. Hence when Jerry dies, Amy reverts back to human form (and likewise the laugh from Evil at the end suggesting that he is still alive too)

I think thats fair, from what I know of Golems, it does make sense in a way. Though I think it works that he is deliberately ambiguous as that makes him a little scarier. We know where the threats come from with Jerry, and how to be protected from him. Billy we dont know.

I know all films play around a little with horror mythology, but one constant in vampire myth seems to be that you are not a full vampire until you have killed and fed on blood. Hence when Jerry dies, Amy reverts back to human form (and likewise the laugh from Evil at the end suggesting that he is still alive too)

I guess this is why I am against sequels being made for movies even the ones that I like. Because so much is unexplained. And they just assume and then make another one and just keep going with "it." Like DragonSlayer. I love Dragonslayer as much as fright night. But I wonder why in the heck does princess Elspeth run straight to the Dragon (to be eaten) after Galen saves her. I go on IMDB and I see dozens of people expressing the same view. Like.. Ok??
The best I can say is viewer be ware. Hollywood likes to run wild. All of the tropes, says Sarah Silverman. Does she even know what a trope means? She is talking about some princess movie she is in. What is the trope when Princess Elspeth goes and dives to the dragon's lair to be eaten. I don't think there is one. It is just an excuse for Hollywood to horror us and show off some gore and special effects. But it patronizes the viewer. Big time.
You are right about Evil Ed. You are led to believe a sequel was coming! I know there was one made. But I haven't seen it. I guess the sequel to me is trying to figure out the weird and macabre stuff that wasn't explained to me in the first one!
Yeah Khan there's a golem! And he is mentioned as well as a bad guy in the new Star Trek movie. Bad guy Khan! He just appears. As if by magic. And he has super abilities. Strength or intellect. A golem to be fair is basically Frankenstein. And that goes hand in hand with Dracula or some mega vampire (I suppose) needing a henchman. That takes orders. Well good that there is some consensus that we are not supposed to accept everything that happens in a good movie. To go back to Dragonslayer you have Valerian say that she used to be a boy. Like she says it about ten times. We get it! And in case we didn't case the first five or six times Ulrich says it again at the end. So..
Tell us the pertinent information! Unless there is something else going on here.
"I used to be a boy. Remember?" Umm. So what is Billy Cole? (We get it, you used to be a boy.) Do you want to be a boy permanently?? Do you want to be a golem?!

Good thing that Billy Cole was such a lenient Golem. I thought he was pretty cool to have as a neighbor. He was the one that needed to ditch Jerry! And ditch the Merlin who was hiding behind the bushes (that we didn't see in the movie) doing all of the shapeshifting spells.

I have to put this up. It is an old thread. But I have to nab you. But, the matria system has to be activated. Interesting stuff Smudge. You haven't seen Fright Night part two (neither have I, one is enough.) But I have seen The Prophecy. Remember how Christopher Walken recruits people and then assigns them over to his cause. Like Jerry. I have put this under a microscope just like Billy Cole. And — they are the same thing. A golem. I don't even think it is a guess. Same carrier concentration. It is like both of them are made up of some kind of goo. And neither of the two look enthusiastic about living. I know what you are going to say about The Prophecy, like it is paranormal or some ET (Angel) ESP reincarnation stuff and he saves someone Lazarus like from the dead.

Isn't that the same we are talking about with Billy Cole? A Golem. They put this out there at us Father Flanagan. Like more tornadoes. More hail. Another Father Flanagan, eh well just make one. I got a feeling like that too today I went to a Catholic church and a priest was kneeling doing a Prayer recitation to some statue of a God, yeah it's a religious belief. But it is like he is a henchman to it. If you are a true religious believer I would say don't watch these movies, but if you are someone who goes to Church and reads the bible but just wants to enjoy a good flick, well, it's just the science freak in me. People get into the old school Final Fantasy games, and by old school I mean not even 16 bit era, but the playstation, and just how the Matchbox toy characters display their own unique persona and that is lost in video games in the later generation consoles, when memory limitations are not a problem. This is Golem like. We are paying subservience to some kind of tail groomed system.
I should call this Fright Night and The Prophecy. It's like an Augusto pinochet. Jerry in Prophecy the Golem tell me he isn't Pinochet. Billy Cole tell me that he isn't Jen Psaki or Antony Blinkin (I mean my Gosh, Billy Cole really is a dead ringer for Antony Blinkin.) I would actually be willing to bet Paypal cash to any expert that Billy Cole is no way a vampire. Him being a vampire wouldn't even make sense it would make Fright Night more like the Lost Boys or Blade. And I would probably bet the same money that Avatar is basically Joseph Mengele.