The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Seen both, neither on my list, but only because I had to cut a lot of movies. I'm glad to see both make the countdown!

Trouble in Paradise
is a surprisingly modern feeling film with one of my favorites, Miriam Hopkins. Herbert Marshall and Kay Francis are pretty great in this too.

Frankenstein is invibed with James Whale's film vision of the literary classic. I literately felt sorry for the monster as the film packs a lot of humanity into the creature. The sets and cinematography are impressive. I much prefer this one to 1935's Bride of Frankenstein.
Trouble in Paradise is a wonderful film, and the repartee between H. Marshall and M. Hopkins was delightful. In fact Marshall's dialogue is arguably some of the best he ever got to act! He usually played a dour or a soap opera type part. Still, "Paradise" didn't make my top 25.

Movie history is almost unimaginable without Frankenstein, and also Dracula (which preceded Frankenstein in 1931). I think it's interesting that Lugosi turned down the role of the monster in Frankenstein, which allowed Karloff to be suggested for the role that would make his career.

I had Frankenstein at #24 (and Dracula at #20). In contrast to your opinion I had Bride of Frankenstein all the way up at #6! I think I was just so impressed with Elsa Lanchester's work as "the Bride", that it influenced my opinion. The earlier film may actually have been better. Colin Clive was better in the first one, having been impaired during "Bride".

~Doc

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Trouble in Paradise

playful innuendo and snappy banter and clever use of windows, mirrors and shadows as story telling devices would have made my list. So glad I took the time tonight to discover this one.

Watched 51/82 (62.1%)
List: 16/25 + (1 pointer)

1) Top Five
2) Top Five
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8) A Night at the Opera (#27)
9) Downright shame if it doesn't
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11) Fearing greatly for this one
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
14) Dr. Jekell & Mr. Hyde (#28)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16) Top 10
17) Fingers crossed
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
21) A childhood favorite I don't see making it
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23) Frankenstein (#19)
24) Won't make it but wanted folks to be aware of it
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Frankenstein is iconic beyond iconic, and I think it influenced so many films of this genre.I agree totally with @Citizen Rules that you feel sympathy for the monster. I recently saw Mary Shelley, and that film gives reasonable explanation and/or inference as to why the monster evolved to embody both horror and pathos.

I haven't seen this film in many years, but the scenes, and archetypal characters live on in memory, and in all the films that followed. For me, the most unforgettable scene is when the monster is picking flowers by the waters' edge with the little girl.

I also was, when thinking of its influence, remembering Jeff Goldblum in The Fly, and how he was - similarly- a sympathetic figure; drawing more heartbreaking empathy from the viewer - as he became less and less human and more and more bizarre.

Seeds of complexity abound that were sown many years earlier - from this 2Oth century movie
( and 19th century literary) classic.

Frankenstein is iconic beyond iconic, and I think it influenced so many films of this genre.I agree totally with @Citizen Rules that you feel sympathy for the monster. I recently saw Mary Shelley, and that film gives reasonable explanation and/or inference as to why the monster evolved to embody both horror and pathos.

I haven't seen this film in many years, but the scenes, and archetypal characters live on in memory, and in all the films that followed. For me, the most unforgettable scene is when the monster is picking flowers by the waters' edge with the little girl.
It's interesting that in the original print the monster kills the little girl. This, from IMDB:

... In one scene, the Monster (Boris Karloff) walks through a forest and comes upon a little girl, Maria, who is throwing flowers into a pond. The monster joins her in the activity but soon runs out of flowers. At a loss for something to throw into the water, he looks at Maria and moves toward her. In all American prints of the movie, the scene ends here. But as originally filmed, the action continues to show the monster grabbing Maria, hurling her into the lake, then departing in confusion when Maria fails to float as the flowers did. This bit was deleted because the censors objected to the violent end of the little girl. This scene is restored in the DVD reissue. ...

So in the edited cut, people are later aware of Maria's demise, but aren't told how it happened. Something tells me that today's ghoulish audiences would find Maria's drowning to be one of their favorite scenes...

~Doc

Watched both - Bride Of Frankenstein was really never in contention for my list, Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs on the other hand certainly was but sadly despite it being a quite delightful romp down memory lane it didn't quite make it in the end.

Seen: 57/84
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
16. Alexander Nevsky
15. The 39 Steps

Now flicks from my list are coming at a steady pace. Bride of Frankenstein I had all the way up at number four, my highest placer to show yet. That gives me thirteen. Of my remaining twelve I still gotta believe at least ten of them are in the collective top seventeen. Only two do I now see as on the bubble to make it.

MY LIST
4. The Bride of Frankenstein (#18)
5. The Informer (#93)
7. Make Way for Tomorrow (#32)
9. Fury (#68)
14. Ninotchka (#36)
17. Public Enemy (#42)
18. Stagecoach (#23)
19. A Night at the Opera (#27)
20. My Man Godfrey (#31)
21. Angels with Dirty Faces (#37)
22. Jezebel (#29)
24. The Roaring Twenties (#21)
25. Destry Rides Again (#72)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

my guess for the next 16:
16. holiday
15. grand illusion
14. king kong
13. freaks
12. bringing up baby
11. the rules of the game
10. the 39 steps
9. modern times
8. it happened one night
7. mr. smith goes to washington
6. city lights
5. all quiet on the western front
4. duck soup
3. M
2. gone with the wind
1. the wizard of oz

Interesting how Bride of Frankenstein finishes 5th in a 7 person 1930's Hall and yet it's far and away first of that field.

7. UR. Child Bride (UR)
6. 61. Gunga Din (1939)
5. 18. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
4. 86. Bachelor Mother (1939)
3. 54. Pepe le Moko (1937)
2. 32. Make Way For Tomorrow (1937)
1. 63. The Scarlet Empress (1934)

11. 59. Red Dust (1932)
10. UR. Mad Love
09. 71. Humanity and Paper Balloons (1937)
08. UR. Virtue
07. 46. Of Mice and Men (1939)
06. UR Goddess
05. UR I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang
04. 25. The Thin Man (1934)
03. 21. The Roaring Twenties (1939)
02. 28. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
01. UR It Happened One Night

1. The Music Box (#76)
2. No doubt it will make it
3. No doubt it will make it
4. Way Out West (#81)
5. A Night at the Opera (#27)
6. Sons of the Desert (#80)
7. No doubt it will make it
8. This one ain't making it
9. No doubt it will make it
10. No doubt it will make it
11. No doubt it will make it
12. Probably won't make it
13. No doubt it will make it
14. The Invisible Man (#30)
15. The Bride of Frankenstein (#18)
16. Monkey Business (#91)
17. The Lady Vanishes (#22)
18. Probably won't make it
19. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (#17)
20. No doubt it will make it
21. No doubt it will make it
22. I'll be surprised if this doesn't make it
23. No doubt it will make it
24. Probably won't make it
25. No doubt it will make it

Snow White was my #17. It is so iconic I definitely would have guessed it would be top ten making every list but Minio's. Been a long time but you never forget it.

I also was, when thinking of its influence, remembering Jeff Goldblum in The Fly, and how he was - similarly- a sympathetic figure; drawing more heartbreaking empathy from the viewer - as he became less and less human and more and more bizarre.

Seeds of complexity abound that were sown many years earlier - from this 2Oth century movie
( and 19th century literary) classic.
Was this the recent film with Elle Fanning? I saw this last week as well. Very good film and while I did know about her first born's death and how that wove into the fabric of the book, there were a few other tidbits I did not know about her father and how, initially, they tried passing the book off under her husband's name because no one would publish such a story by a woman.

Interesting how Bride of Frankenstein finishes 5th in a 7 person 1930's Hall and yet it's far and away first of that field.

7. UR. Child Bride (UR)
6. 61. Gunga Din (1939)
5. 18. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
4. 86. Bachelor Mother (1939)
3. 54. Pepe le Moko (1937)
2. 32. Make Way For Tomorrow (1937)
1. 63. The Scarlet Empress (1934)

11. 59. Red Dust (1932)
10. UR. Mad Love
09. 71. Humanity and Paper Balloons (1937)
08. UR. Virtue
07. 46. Of Mice and Men (1939)
06. UR Goddess
05. UR I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang
04. 25. The Thin Man (1934)
03. 21. The Roaring Twenties (1939)
02. 28. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
01. UR It Happened One Night
I got a chuckle out of that as well.

The Bride of Frankenstein

We belong dead.

This was a great little revisit to a film I don't think I've watched since my 20's if not late teens.
So much of it, beyond the iconic final scene, that I had forgotten, and so much of that made me think of Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein, since he did use this, along with Whale's first Frankenstein film as base material to create his comedy from, along with Gene Wilder.

Forgotten the wild, devilish demeanor of Dr. Pretorius, (Ernest Thesiger) whom I remember from my favorite A Christmas Carol (1953) when he played the Undertaker. There is also a great little cameo by John Carradine as one of the hunters that show up at the Old Blind Man's cottage. As well as the return of Dwight Fry, this time as one of the assistant murderers. And, of course, Clive Owen reprising his manic Dr. Frankenstein and his great reluctance to continue his experiments.

With a few comedic moments in this, it still remains a great old time monster film.
It's actually pretty amazing the body count The Monster runs up throughout this film. He does take out quite the number of villagers.

And, as the first film, the darkly lit castle and the bringing to life scene, is still pretty amazing. Along with those moments where Karloff gets to bring some emotion (genuine sadness, fear, longing) to the creature. Really love those moments.
And, of course, Elsa Lanchester was pretty d@mn incredible as The Bride. And, yes, @cricket, she is very much, a total babe!

Great choice in old horror, @Siddon! NICELY done!

Heigh HOOOO!!
Surprisingly, this wonderful animation from Disney is quite the iconic film that didn't make my list. I had rewatched this last year, having not seen it since my pup years and marveled at a lot of the backgrounds that I most likely took for granted in my youth.

Watched 53/84 (63.1%)
List: 16/25 + (1 pointer)

1) Top Five
2) Top Five
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8) A Night at the Opera (#27)
9) Downright shame if it doesn't
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11) Fearing greatly for this one
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
14) Dr. Jekell & Mr. Hyde (#28)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16) Top 10
17) Fingers crossed
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
21) A childhood favorite I don't see making it
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23) Frankenstein (#19)
24) Won't make it but wanted folks to be aware of it
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

I loved Bride of Frankenstein as a kid but this was one time something being nominated for a HoF cost it a spot on my list. I still liked it, but not enough for me to vote for it.

Also loved Snow White as a kid but I haven't seen it in many years.