The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Lady Vanishes (Alfred Hitchcock, 1938)
-

Classic Hitchcock flick, the best one from his pre-Hollywood era, still has the joys of an archetypal mystery thriller laced with dark humor. It's not so much what happens but how it does which brings so much pleasure, and if my rating seems a bit low, it's probably because I've just seen it so many times, and it's been ripped off incessantly down through the years. It still has all the classic elements in place and has us pulling for the young woman (Margaret Lockwood) who knows that an old lady has disappeared from a train but nobody else claims to have seen her. At least young Michael Redgrave agrees to help her get to the bottom of things, and there's an almost rogues' gallery of supporting characters, including Charters (Basil Radford) and Caldicott (Naunton Wayne) who turned up in a few later British thrillers.
The Roaring Twenties is a wildly-entertaining gangster flick but it (and the Hitch flick) still didn't make my list. [That makes nine in a row I didn't list.] My fave Bogie quote from the film is "I always say, when you got a job to do, get somebody else to do it."

A lot to catch up on. Three more from my top 10 have shown.

My List
#1. Definite
#2. Surely this has made it
#3. Make Way For Tomorrow (Leo McCarey)
#4. The Scarlet Empress (Josef von Sternberg)
#5. Port of Shadows (Marcel Carné)
#6. Not making it
#7. Humanity and Paper Balloons (Sadao Yamanaka)
#8. The Roaring Twenties (Raoul Walsh)
#9. Definite
#10. Pygmalion (Anthony Asquith, Leslie Howard)
#11. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums (Kenji Mizoguchi)
#12. Not making it
#13. Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde (Rouben Mamoulian)
#14. Definite
#15. Love Me Tonight (Rouben Mamoulian)
#16. Not making it and I'm a bit surprised
#17. Definite
#18. Definite
#19. No chance
#20. City Girl (F.W. Murnau)
#21. Vampyr (Carl Theodor Dreyer)
#22. A Day in the Country (Jean Renoir)
#23. Not making it at this point and I'm surprised
#24. Definite
#25. 42nd Street (Lloyd Bacon)

I'll join the crowd and say that I think I've seen The Lady Vanishes but it's been forever and a day if I have. Now The Roaring Twenties is firmly ensconced on my list at #23 and it's one of my favorite gangster flicks so I had to include it. Still haven't hit that bump yet where a big section of mine fail to make the grade. And we're fast approaching the Top 20 so it may sting pretty smartly!

#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#7 The Thin Man (25)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#10 A Night at the Opera (27)
#12 My Man Godfrey (31)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#19 Stagecoach (23)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)
#22 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (28)
#23 The Roaring Twenties (21)

Yup, we're starting the top 20 tomorrow. Any guesses as to what will make it? Or won't make it?....I think the next 20 will be kind of surprising. All I can say is some great films that I thought where a shoe-in didn't even make the countdown.

Wow. I never really considered Vampyr for this list. I thought it was a very good, stylish movie. I'm a bit shocked it made it this high on the list, but that's just me. On the flip side, I'm one of those people who love Stagecoach and see the appeal for it as a classic film. It made my list at #23. It's getting to where I'm scoring one film a day but I know I'm gonna hit a major pothole soon!
I agree with your points. Vampyr didn't make my list either. Presumably the subject matter is topical for today's youth.. I had Stagecoach (a classic) at #17, and The Lady Vanishes at #15.

And CR, if you're reading this, you MUST watch The Lady Vanishes right away..

~Doc

I'm guessing none of the Will Hay comedies are gonna make it

Seen both, neither on my list, but only because I had to cut a lot of movies. I'm glad to see both make the countdown!

Trouble in Paradise
is a surprisingly modern feeling film with one of my favorites, Miriam Hopkins. Herbert Marshall and Kay Francis are pretty great in this too.

Frankenstein is invibed with James Whale's film vision of the literary classic. I literately felt sorry for the monster as the film packs a lot of humanity into the creature. The sets and cinematography are impressive. I much prefer this one to 1935's Bride of Frankenstein.

Didn't manage to get round to Trouble In Paradise, did give Frankenstein a rewatch though and that secured the classic monster movie the #6 spot on my ballot.

Seen: 55/82 (>ed% )
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
18. Anybody's Woman
17. Our Betters

Lady Vanishes was my #18. Like the other Hitch on my list I thought it had a cool premise, great characters, and good performances. Something about them kept them from coming together into a great whole like the Hitchcock's I love. They are both very good films though.

Trouble In Paradise was my #24. If I am being honest I mostly went off of star rating on that one because I really don't remember too much about it outside of the leads being thief's. I really want to see it again and want to eventually see all of Lubitsch. I think he will be a director I will really like

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Trouble in Paradise was my number EIGHT!

Not just my favourite Lubitsch of the 30s, but my favourite Lubitsch ever!

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Frankenstein was a great movie, but it's terrible when compared to the novel. I'll be honest and say I'd rather watch the Kenneth Branagh film because the story's close to the novel.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Frankenstein is the iconic monster flick I went with and as CR mentioned, it does pack a lot of humanity into the film and the creature.
Can't remember if I've watched Trouble in Paradise so, another for the need to list.

Watched 50/82 (60.9%)
List: 16/25 + (1 pointer)

1) Top Five
2) Top Five
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8) A Night at the Opera (#27)
9) Downright shame if it doesn't
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11) Fearing greatly for this one
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
14) Dr. Jekell & Mr. Hyde (#28)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16) Top 10
17) Fingers crossed
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
21) A childhood favorite I don't see making it
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23) Frankenstein (#19)
24) Won't make it but wanted folks to be aware of it
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

nice, lubitsch is the greatest and trouble in paradise was my #1. frankenstein was my #17
criticker

This is what's appeared on my list so far.

1. The Music Box
4. Way Out West
5. A Night at the Opera
6. Sons of the Desert
8. This one ain't making it
14. The Invisible Man
16. Monkey Business
17. The Lady Vanishes
24. Might make it, might not

I had The Lady Vanishes at #8 and Frankenstein at #13. Is it right to assume Bride of Frankenstein will make the list?

My List:

8. The Lady Vanishes (#22)
10. The Thin Man (#25)
11. Ninotchka
13. Frankenstein (#19)
14 Horse Feathers (#51)
15. A Night at the Opera (#27)
16. The Invisible Man (#30)
17. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
19. The Awful Truth (#60)
20. Vampyr (#24)
21. My Man Godfrey (#31)
23. Fury (#68)
25. City Girl (#74)

I've only seen two Ernst Lubitsch films but I loved them and going through the list of his movies, I must see more! The sheer star power in the comedies has me salivating (well, on the inside). I had not heard of Trouble in Paradise before but now it's a must-see. Frankenstein is a great, classic movie and Karloff made the monster so sympathetic while still killing people and that's not an easy task to pull off but he did it. Still, I do have a Frankenstein movie on my list but it's one I'm positive now will not make it, yet it remains my favorite. If the first Frankenstein is at #19, then my pick has no chance. This is one of those potholes I was sure I'd hit.

#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#7 The Thin Man (25)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#10 A Night at the Opera (27)
#12 My Man Godfrey (31)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#19 Stagecoach (23)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)
#22 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (28)