The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I haven't seen Scarface so no-go on the list, but happily one of my favorites, The Thin Man is on my list! I can't believe what I'm hearing about the box set being so expensive---I bought the set a little over a year ago and it seemed like it was @$30 so I don't know what happened. Powell and Loy are so great together and they appeared in several non-Thin Man movies that were swell too.

#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#7 The Thin Man (25)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#10 A Night at the Opera (27)
#12 My Man Godfrey (31)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)
#22 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (28)

Really loved the aesthetic of Vampyr. Enough to have it at #17. Stagecoach is another Ford that I just don't get the love for.

Seen both but voted for neither. Vampyr very nearly squeezed onto my list and had I been going purely by ratings alone would certainly have made it, Stagecoach was also very much in the running but sadly just fell short. Both would easily be in my top 50 for the decade and glad to see the pair make an appearance.

Seen: 52/78
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
22. Modern Times
21. The Good Earth

I had Vampyr at #20. A visually stunning film made in a psychologically disorienting style.

10. The Thin Man (#25)
11. Ninotchka (#36)
14 Horse Feathers (#51)
15. A Night at the Opera (#27)
16. The Invisible Man (#30)
17. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
19. The Awful Truth (#60)
20. Vampyr (#24)
21. My Man Godfrey (#31)
23. Fury (#68)
25. City Girl (#74)

Wow. I never really considered Vampyr for this list. I thought it was a very good, stylish movie. I'm a bit shocked it made it this high on the list, but that's just me. On the flip side, I'm one of those people who love Stagecoach and see the appeal for it as a classic film. It made my list at #23. It's getting to where I'm scoring one film a day but I know I'm gonna hit a major pothole soon!

#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#7 The Thin Man (25)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#10 A Night at the Opera (27)
#12 My Man Godfrey (31)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#19 Stagecoach (23)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)
#22 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (28

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
can't remember vampyr, saw it at an independent/art venue movie theater back in the 90s so I can't honestly put it down as a watch, since a rewatch is really necessary. With Stagecoach I have only seen parts, never the full monty.

Watched 47/78 (60.2%)
List: 15/25 + (1 pointer)

1)
2)
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8) A Night at the Opera (#28)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
14) Dr Jekell & Mr Hyde (#28)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16)
17)
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Nortre Dame (#40)
21)
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

really glad vampyr made it this high. i watched it shortly before submitting and had it at #19
criticker

took the time and watched Stagecoach

Had forgotten who was in the cast alongside John Wayne, John Carradine, Thomas Mitchell, Donald Meek, and Andy Devine, whom I'll always remember as the voice for Friar Tuck in Disney's Robin Hood

Now, while it is a very good western, and shamefully I do not have any westerns on my list, I'm not honestly sure it would have made it.

Watched 48/78 (61.5%)

1)
2)
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
8) A Night at the Opera (#27)
9)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16)
17)
18) Red Dust (#59)
21)
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23)
24)

I'm on the fence on whether or not I've seen The Lady Vanishes, so, since it's on dailymotion, I'll simply watch it and therefore, note it.

Roaring Twenties was in the 30's 2nd HoF and I just didn't have the room for it and, looking over my list I'm even more surprised that no gangster flicks made it at all since I'm quite the fan of them.

The Roaring Twenties

You want the Brooklyn Bridge, all you gotta do is ask for it. If I can't buy it, I'll steal it.

cricket definitely hits the mark regarding the gist of this film.
It's almost set up in 3 Acts with all the filler that goes into this, involving the necessity to get into crime, the rise to power and, as these stories will go, the eventual fall. Which isn't a bad thing, at all. There's plenty to entertain even though the saga of a man who rises to power and then tumbles back down is an exceedingly common one this IS a very worthwhile film and one for anyone who enjoys the actors and the genre.

While there are two great actors here, Bogart and Cagney, you will see in any poster of this and, upon watching it, it truly centers around Cagney's character, Eddie. And Bogart, as the friend and then foe is an excellent antagonist for him. Since it's very hard to see anyone, really, stand toe to toe with Cagney BUT Bogart.

A lot of the voice-over narration that occurs DOES have a great bit of history thrown in while we see Eddie, having shared trenches and cigarettes with Bogart and a third friend, played by Jeffrey Lynn, who has dreams of being a lawyer; returning home to find the ONLY job available involves making and selling illegal booze.

Anyone who has ever watched a Cagney film knows just how easy it is to get behind him and wish him well. And this is no different. Where he plays a decent guy who plays fair with the usual Cagney charm AND temper.
When the fall comes, as they do, Cagney has a rough time picking himself back up and it's that inherent decency that triggers the finale to this decade-long story.

When I was a teenager, having only seen one huge gangster saga, The Godfather, this was pretty impressive stuff. For very good reason.
Now, having seen countless of them, it is still a great gangster saga, though a bit more genteel, it still remains one that any fan of the gangster genre SHOULD check out as being the -- (yeah, I am SOOO using the pun) godfather of them all.

Watched 49/80 (61.2%)

1) Top Five
2) Top Five
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
8) A Night at the Opera (#27)
9) Downright shame if it doesn't
11) Fearing greatly for this one
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16) Top 10
17) Fingers crossed
18) Red Dust (#59)
21) A childhood favorite I don't see making it
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23) Should be showing up soon
24) Won't make it but wanted folks to be aware of it

The Lady Vanishes takes a while to get into gear but when it does it's a lovely piece of intrigue that's a really good watch imo and it made the #18 spot on my ballot. The Roaring Twenties is a lovely watch too with Cagney & Bogey in good form and was in contention for a place in my 25 but sadly it just missed out in the end.

Seen: 54/80
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
20. King Kong
19. Duck Soup

Me and Ed are in the same boat, I can't remember if I've seen The Lady Vanishes or not? The missing woman on a train plot makes me think I did see it, but can't say for sure/

I have seen The Roaring Twenties several times and it was #13 on my list. And that's another from the 30s Hof to make the countdown.