The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Yes! Two of my favorites back-to-back! Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with Frederic March is my favorite version of that classic tale and I agree with @Citizen Rules about the special effects being so grand. And I felt so sad for Miriam Hopkins in that movie. A Night at the Opera is my favorite Marx Brothers movie of all, with many classic bits but my favorite moment is Harpo clambering up the stage curtain impossibly with no handholds. So glad to see these two make it.

#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#10 A Night at the Opera (27)
#12 My Man Godfrey (31)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)
#22 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (28)

"DJMH" is a wonderful film. The '31 version being the 6th film of the RL Stevenson story, and the first "talkie" version. Reportedly there have been 8 theatrical films of the novella to date.

Frederic March did turn in a convincing portrayal of the drug induced split personality, and the whole production was unique for its time.

It didn't make my top 25 however, because to my taste there are too many other great films for that distinction (though 4 of mine were horror).

Spencer Tracy's version 10 years later was also impressive. But my favorite Jekyll/Hyde portrayal was Jack Palance's in a 1968 television film of the story. His Hyde was chilling and terrorizing-- a demon devoid of any human feelings, whereas his Jekyll was warm, soft and contrite. An amazing performance.

~Doc

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I've missed the past week of entries as my laptop was broken, but catching up, I've seen most of the last 20, with the exception of Jezebel, Invisible Man and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

On my list were:

46. Of Mice and Men (1939) - #11

I watched this for the hall of fame and was really impressed with it, really quite a bleak film. Unusually, I prefer the films of both this and The Grapes of Wrath to the books.

45. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (1939) - #17

I watched this after seeing others rate it highly on letterboxd and it is a very well made tragic film about selfishness and sacrifice.

36. Ninotchka (1939) - #16

I haven't seen it for ages but I remember it being surprisingly funny, with a sort of timeless quality to it. I enjoyed Ninotchka's putdowns.

34. Pygmalion (1938) - #9

I like My Fair Lady but this is even better. Great to see it so high up on the countdown.

32. Make Way For Tomorrow (1937) - #5

I watched this really recently. At first I didn't think it was great but then it hit the bit where
WARNING: spoilers below
she tells her daughter she really wants to move to a retirement home because she's seen the letter
and it just hit me. The whole sequence with the old couple's day out together is pure brilliance.

Yay - seen both and voted for both Scarface is a great watch, even with the awful, but thankfully brief, 'public appeal' in it and was my #10, The Thin Man wins no awards for it's murder mystery, but it's serviceable, and anyway the real joy of it is in the interaction between Powell and Loy (and Asta).

Seen: 50/76
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
24. It's Love I'm After
23. Roberta

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
And now, for the catch up of the weekend:

Make Way For Tomorrow

SPOILERS

What a very sad, but VERY enjoyable film!!

A great little tear-jerker that starts a little slow with some of the "children's" acting, but once Bark and Lucy are separated to live with one of their children, you suddenly find yourself quite invested. And by the end, OH how the tears come!!

It is a great concept and one you rarely see. An elderly couple whose children don't want, or claim they are unable to have them stay with them. Any of us who have elderly parents can truly relate to this film and it's dynamics.
Speaking of, I rather liked how we saw it, mostly, through Lucy and Bark's view of things. While getting the gist of the reasons why no one wanted them or were willing to make allowances for them. Especially to keep them together which was the ultimate heartbreaker of this film. That, in their final years, after 50 yrs of marriage, they would split them up to accommodate themselves instead of helping those who raised and sacrificed for them.

One scene that irritated me was the Bridge game scene. Specifically when everyone felt bothered SIMPLY because she was rocking back in forth in her chair. I seriously started cussing at the screen. One of the best sounds of my childhood was that of a rocking chair.
Of course, when she had her phone call (so touching) I was watching each of them in the background and scowling, "Yeah, feel like a bunch of d@cks, don't ya? Good!"

And, of course, that final day together was so beautiful. The long walks, the ride to the hotel they honeymooned at, and how total strangers all gave them such courtesy without knowing the full details of what that day meant to them.
Also, the little comments and looks they gave each other throughout. You could see a couple who had spent a life together.
Truly wonderful scenes.
LOVED the phone call Bark made telling their kids they wouldn't be back. Put a huge grin on my face.

And, oh my god, the good-bye!!
My heart STILL hurts thinking about it!
Especially the final fade out as Lucy's smile fades and she looks about and behind her.
What an emotional ending!!!

WOW!!

It's a very hard watch, but quite a wonderful one!!
My Man Godfrey was at #3.

Countless watches of this film, and while I mentioned I haven't seen the colorized, I think that was incorrect, scanning over images of this excellent comedic film of a spoiled socialite (Carol Lombard) that hires a bum (William Powell) to be a butler to her family who also deserves mention:the graveled voiced Eugene Pallette as the father who is beside himself with the nuthouse of a family he has; Alice Brady as the pleasantly oblivious mother and Lombard's streetwise, rambunctious sister played with a devilish delight by Gail Patrick. Along with them, the wisecracking maid Jean Dixon make for a rip-roaring family and movie. A huge favorite at our house that we watch, time and again.

The Invisible Man with Claude Rains is a d@mn fine film but I just did not have room for it.

Jezebel was my #13.

Bette Davis took FULL command of this film and while there ARE some notable scenes and associates of the craft within this film it remains a Bette Davis film. Her first film with Director Wyler she unleashes the catty tigress in all her fury and cunning. Definitively one of THE films to watch when talking about Davis.

And with one point away in my list as well, though in switched order, Dr Jekell & Mr Hyde came in at #14.

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

This IS a pretty impressive psychological horror for its time and, watching this, it's easy to see how cricket would enjoy this as a modern film. It does have a more visceral experience while also adding more depth than simply the usual "gentleman and the brute".

March does an excellent job as both sides of "Good Ash and Bad Ash" lol. But, seriously, there is a very good mix of the two. It isn't a completely stark line separating the two. Jekyll is not completely wholesome and Hyde isn't narrowed down to simply being a monster. He is the unleashed, unfettered Jekyll.
I've seen a few versions of this story in my time and the norm is that both aspects are at the farthest extremes of one another. Day and night as it were. But in this film, we see a far more intimate correlation between the two "sides".
We see the "why" of Mr. Hyde's appetite as we witness Jekyll's frustrations and impatience. Giving a more fuller, more connected bond between the two parts of one man. A lot of this is in much of the dialogue that both Jekyll and Hyde share the same beliefs.

Dr. Jekyll: Things one can't do, are the ones I want to.

Dr. Jekyll: That's not a matter of conduct; but, elementary instinct.
Dr. Lanyon: You ought to control those instincts.
Dr. Jekyll: Are you pretending that either can or do? We may control our actions; but, not our impulses.

One odd scene I rather enjoyed was the (I believe) the first night Mr. Hyde goes out, and it's raining and he looks up and smiles, enjoying the rain. I found that a nice touch showing the uninhibited, primal joy of being in the rain.

With some of the camerawork, the initial first person POV, I was a little iffy about. I do enjoy the technique, but for some reason, and this is solely on me, it seemed to cause a hesitation in the movie gets started. Again, I didn't dislike it, I simply had an iffy experience to it.
The split screens DID work pretty well for me. Especially in scenes where there is a slow close to one side as a final comment was made.
Same goes with the acrobatic/jumping of Mr. Hyde when he was being chased. Exhibiting his more primate side, as it were.

And, of course, before I close I MUST give due credit to Miriam Hopkins as the victimized Ivy Pearson. My heart TRULY went out to her and for her. An excellent, excellent bit of acting, procuring such sympathy from us, the audience.

And yes, CR, this DOES deserve one of my BRAVOs!!
Next, my all-time favorite Marx Brothers movie at #8, Night at the Opera

With the always mentioned State Room skit and the famous Contact skit, my all-time favorite is the final climax of the Marx Brothers causing utter and complete chaos at the Opera. From Groucho's heckling from the audience to Chico and Harpo causing mayhem behind the scenes, on stage and in the orchestra pit. Just f@ckin brilliant and I laugh every single time I watch this film even though I know all by heart.

Though a few years since seeing the heavy shootout ending of Scarface, it did not make my list.

and, at #15, another beloved Powell flick with my ideal partner, Myrna Loy

The Thin Man

As previously mentioned in multiple reviews this is far more about Nora and Nick Charles, along with their dog Astor, than the Whodunit premise of the Thin Man series. Though it must be said, there is quite the cavalcade of "suspects" and twists to keep one invested. Especially with the final dinner and the "reveal" of the murderer.
But, again, it is The Charles that make this film so effin charming and a joy to watch. Their quips and snappy comebacks between each other is a pleasure and a joy. You rarely see such drunken behavior in such a fun light as you do with these two. Especially Nick, who would prefer to drink and spend the wads of cash available than to sleuth. Though like any habit, NOT investigating an intriguing case is HARD to ignore.

Even their introduction is a like bottle of free champagne brought to your table and the cork exploding with a loud POP.
There's Nick, teaching bartenders HOW to properly make his favorite drink, along with what music is best to shake the concoction to.
And, with a loud burst, enters Nora, pulled in by Astor.
Letting us know that the Party has begun and the Hosts have arrived.
This is where it gets fun and the real enjoyment begins.

One of my favorite couples on Old Hollywood screen is these two. Just love 'em.

Watched 47/76 (61.8%)
1)
2)
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8) A Night at the Opera (#28)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
14) Dr Jekell & Mr Hyde (#28)
15) The Thin Man (#25)

16)
17)
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Nortre Dame (#40)
21)
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Just for fun, here's the complete list of movies nominated in the two 1930s Hofs, the ones that have so far made the countdown are linked.

Bachelor Mother (1939) #86
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Child Bride (1938)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) # 28
Gunga Din (1939) # 61
Humanity and Paper Balloons (1937) #71
I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Mad Love (1935)
Make Way For Tomorrow (1937) #32
Of Mice and Men (1939) #46
Pepe le Moko (1937) # 54
Red Dust (1932) # 59
The Goddess (1934)
The Roaring Twenties (1939)
The Scarlet Empress (1934) #63
The Thin Man (1934) #25
Virtue (1932)

Damn! that's a lot of them, I wonder which of those others will still make it? Guesses anyone?

Just for fun, here's the complete list of movies nominated in the two 1930s Hofs, the ones that have so far made the countdown are linked.

Bachelor Mother (1939) #86
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Child Bride (1938)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) # 28
Gunga Din (1939) # 61
Humanity and Paper Balloons (1937) #71
I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Mad Love (1935)
Make Way For Tomorrow (1937) #32
Of Mice and Men (1939) #46
Pepe le Moko (1937) # 54
Red Dust (1932) # 59
The Goddess (1934)
The Roaring Twenties (1939)
The Scarlet Empress (1934) #63
The Thin Man (1934) #25
Virtue (1932)

Damn! that's a lot of them, I wonder which of those others will still make it? Guesses anyone?
I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932) and It Happened One Night (1934) DEFINITELY

If Child Bride doesn't make top ten I'll be somewhat slightly shocked fo' sho'

Really loved the wit of The Thin Man. Had it at #8. Scarface is one of those movies that reminds me why I used to not watch many old movies. Feels quite dated.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm surprised Scarface made it this far.

I don't see anymore than Chain Gang, It Happened One Night, and Roaring Twenties making it. A shame Goddess won't.

Aw (thin) man, I was hoping that would be higher.

The Thin Man was my #2. It's really hard for a comedy to remain entertaining decades later, I've found. It takes a real classic to transcend cultural norms and pace, particularly comedy based on subtle social conventions, which change a lot over time. The Thin Man does slightly suffer from the pacing issue, as nearly all older comedies do (they're relatively sparse compared to today's punchline-dense affairs), but the humor, when it comes, is still hilarious today.

And the dog, Asta! For a time, the most famous dog in America. Throwing a tag into a movie to amuse people is almost shorthand for Bad Movie now, but only because films like this did it so cleverly in the first place.

And you really just can't beat (or teach) the kind of rapport that Powell (who's from my native Pittsburgh!) and Loy have together. Which is probably why they made six of these things before all was said and done.

And because of that, and because it's unlikely any of the others will appear even higher, I'll go ahead and quote the third film in the series:

Nick: A Bacardi.
*sees wife approach*
Nick: Two Bacardis.
Nora: The same.

@Yoda That made me chuckle. I need to find time to watch the others. They are all sitting in my Fimstruck watchlist. Unfortunately that won't matter much soon.

I was going to say you could buy the whole box seat cheaply, but apparently it's $250 on Amazon now! I bought it nine years ago for probably $30 or something. Wonder what happened there.

I wouldn't say I loved The Thin Man, but I loved Nick, Nora, and Asta, so I had it as my #24.

I liked Scarface but didn't vote for it.

I'd be very surprised if The Bride of Frankenstein didn't make it.

I've had three of mine show up recently, including The Thin Man, A Night at the Opera, and The Invisible Man. I had two Marx bros. movies on my list and I just jammed them together without a lot of thought, but really A Night at the Opera is the better movie and I should have had it higher.

My List:

10. The Thin Man (#25)
11. Ninotchka (#36)
14 Horse Feathers (#51)
15. A Night at the Opera (#27)
16. The Invisible Man (#30)
17. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
19. The Awful Truth (#60)
21. My Man Godfrey (#31)
23. Fury (#68)
25. City Girl (#74)

I wouldn't say I loved The Thin Man, but I loved Nick, Nora, and Asta, so I had it as my #24.

I liked Scarface but didn't vote for it.

I'd be very surprised if The Bride of Frankenstein didn't make it.
yeah, got my fingers crossed for Bride of Frankenstein

I was going to say you could buy the whole box seat cheaply, but apparently it's $250 on Amazon now! I bought it nine years ago for probably $30 or something. Wonder what happened there.
Probably out of print. Usually when I see those kinds of prices that's the case.