The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My Man Godfrey is my #7. It's been a fave for a long time, and I've been watching it a lot lately. Make Way for Tomorrow is a good film but not on my list.

Seen 70/70
My List
1. Pygmalion (34)
4. Porky in Wackyland (82)
5. The Young in Heart (65)
7. My Man Godfrey (31)
9. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (40)
10. Olympia (48)
16. Love Me Tonight (92)
18. The Bitter Tea of General Yen (98)
23. Gunga Din (61)
24. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
25. Horse Feathers (51)

I had My Man Godfrey #21. I had Make Way for Tomorrow on my watchlist, but I never got around to seeing it.

My List:

11. Ninotchka
14 Horse Feathers (#51)
17. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
19. The Awful Truth (#60)
21. My Man Godfrey (#31)
23. Fury (#68)
25. City Girl (#74)

Ahh, two really fine films. Make Way For Tomorrow, is yet another nomination from the 30s HoF. A really powerful film with a strong ending. I really enjoyed it but it didn't make my list.

My Man Godfrey
was my #12 It was also in an HoF in the past. I just love that film, so much so that when it was nominated for the 10th Hall of Fame I watched it twice, the second time in the digital colorized version, as I was curious as to how the process worked.
Nice review, CR. Ditto. "Godfrey" is a wonderful film. Powell and Lombard were almost as good a pairing as were Powell and Loy.

I had the film at #9.

~Doc

I loved Make Way for Tomorrow and voted for it, but it's placement really fell because it didn't stay with me. It feels unusual for that to happen with that kind of movie.

I also watched My Man Godfrey for the HoF. I first watched it in B & W and thought it was ok. Then I watched it in color and liked it quite a bit.

I suspect that if I watched them both again, I may like Godfrey more than Make Way this time.

3. The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
5. Of Mice and Men (#46)
9. The Scarlet Empress (#63)
12. The Blue Angel (#38)
13. Dark Victory (#52)
15. Horse Feathers (#51)
16. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (#45)
18. The Young in Heart (#65)
19. City Girl (#74)
21. Pepe Le Moko (#54)
22. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (#47)
25. Make Way for Tomorrow (#32)

I suspect that if I watched them both again, I may like Godfrey more than Make Way this time.
This is actually far less uncommon a circumstance than most would suspect, so much so there has even been an official term coined for it: 'Make Way For Godfrey'.

Seen both, The Invisible Man is well done and not at all hokey like I thought it might be. Worth a watch! But not on my list.

Yeah! one from my list Jezebel was my number #15. I've only seen it once and well over a decade ago, but that film stayed with me and that's saying a lot. Bette is aces.

Watched The Invisible Man a few times but they were in my youth and I couldn't fit in a rewatch in order to reassess it (or count it as watched) for this, Jezebel is a great fillum with yet another top notch performance from Ms. Davis and I'm delighted to see it turn up even if it didn't quite make the cut for my own ballot.

Seen: 46/72
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
28. Stanley And Livingstone
27. The Eagle And The Hawk

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two wonderful films which were in my Top 30 but didn't make mv final cut - I know; it sucks. The Invisible Man is my fave Whale horror/sci-fi/fantasy film. Claude Rains and the visiual F/X are incredible. Rains' girlfriend is played by Gloria Stuart 64 years before her Oscar-nomed turn in Titanic.

Jezebel is William Wyler's precursor to Gone With the Wind and has Bette Davis pulling out all the stops trying to outdo Scarlett O'Hara while constantly bickering with her fiancé (Henry Fonda). Davis really wanted the GWTW role (who didn't?) but it was basically the last one she really wanted that she didn't get.

I had high hopes for Jezebel going in and it did not disappoint. It was my #14.

I like The Invisible Man but it's been ages since I've seen it.

I think everything from my list makes it except my #17.

Adored Jezebel, my #3. Davis chewing scenery and also whatever character opposes her. Not many things better in cinema than that.

I've heard Make Way for Tomorrow is great but I've yet to see it. My Man Godfrey is one of my favorite movies of the 30's and it's on my list at #12. I love both The Invisible Man and Jezebel but neither made my list. I should have let Bette Davis represent on my list but I went for my personal favorites instead and just couldn't find room for poor Bette, much as I dig her. Great movies abounding on this list. Several of mine are not going to make it, I'm pretty sure, as a few of them are not widely popular. At least I don't think.

#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#12 My Man Godfrey (31)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)

A Night at the Opera is, for me, the "other Marx Bros. movie." That is, the one other than Duck Soup I really like. There are great moments in all of their films, but Opera is the only non-Duck one that, for me, strings a whole bunch of them together. The cramped room with all the servants and the contract negotiation being the first that come to mind, maybe in part because the former was spoofed in The Impostors and the latter in the general Marx Bros. homage Brain Donors (both highly recommended).

Anyway, great movie!

Rewatched Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde for the second 30s HOF and enjoyed it enough to place it #9 on my ballot. Gave A Night At The Opera a spin and it's quite amusing in places but some of it is also laboured and drawn out, pretty much the way I felt about all four of theirs I gave a shot to

Seen: 48/74
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
26. Young And Innocent
25. The Roaring Twenties

Another from my list, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was my number 7. Love that movie. Fredrick March takes a potent turn, as he goes from man to beast and unleashes his beastly desires on poor Miriam Hopkins, who's great in her own beleaguered sort of way. Awesome makeup & camera transition scenes when March goes from man to beast. And some of the best looking movie sets in an early film...who needs CG!

I'm so glad Jekyll and Hyde was nominated for a HoF because I didn't remember it all that fondly. I loved it this time.

A liked A Night at the Opera but didn't vote for it.

3. The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
5. Of Mice and Men (#46)
8. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (#28)
9. The Scarlet Empress (#63)
12. The Blue Angel (#38)
13. Dark Victory (#52)
14. Jezebel (#29)
15. Horse Feathers (#51)
16. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (#45)
18. The Young in Heart (#65)
19. City Girl (#74)
21. Pepe Le Moko (#54)
22. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (#47)
25. Make Way for Tomorrow (#32)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have three in a row from my list; Jezebel, Dr Jekyll, and Night at the Opera. Which I'll have to return later to properly post about since I'm on my phone.