Snapshots of History.

Tools    

The Hollywood Bowl?

Well thanks for the invite, @GulfportDoc.

These two gents; one English, one American, were not rock stars, but may as well have been in their milieu. How did they change history; the effects being felt to this very day?

Yes @GulfportDoc. They are scientists. Not code breakers, @Citizen Rules . Not in a movie I can think of offhand; but the tv show Law and Order has episodes that are related to their work.

Btw CR; very clever of you to see the name Johnny Mathis written in invisible ink on the pic. Well, it was invisible to three of us
So I still say you are the most eagle eyed of us all. ( And an honest man, too)

They made a discovery that impacted science, medicine, agriculture, law enforcement and Dolly.

You're definitely on the right track there @Stirchley, but no. These guys did their feat - which made Dolly possible-in the mid 1900s .

I'll wait til tomorrow to reveal; let's see if our Doc - or some other science fan- remembers this pair.

Final hint: one of these brilliant men ended his career in infamy, after he revealed some of his not so brilliant bigoted views of humankind.

I'll wait til tomorrow to reveal; let's see if our Doc - or some other science fan- remembers this pair.

Final hint: one of these brilliant men ended his career in infamy, after he revealed some of his not so brilliant bigoted views of humankind.
It must be Watson and Crick, the scientists who identified the double helix construction of DNA-- a big gift to crime dramas...

I'm not sure what one of the men said that did not conform to the "official" views of mankind. But true scientists --in contrast to the ones quoted in the New York Times ()-- are generally difficult to argue with.

Yes @GulfportDoc- you nailed it. I knew I could count on you. ( Your turn now . )

Watson and Crick won the Nobel prize for identifying the structure of DNA as a double helix in 1953.
And they also started the Human Genome Project which has led to - for better or worse- genetically modified. crops, DNA testing on crime dramas
( and in real life) ,myriad possibilities for advances in improving human health, and sheep clone Dolly.
And even works of art.

Watson, alas, also became known for misogynist and racist theories; and lost his job and lecture opportunities because of his insistent and outlandishly bigoted statements. (Not even worth repeating here.)

However, their work, which became the foundation of modern molecular biology, still stands true.

As does this artistic sculpture honoring the miracle of genetic design: