Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Unlovable (Suzy Yoonessi, 2018)

This ia quite an interesting indie drama about a woman with sex and love addictions that force her into rehab when she loses everything from her job to her relationship with her boyfriend. Her sponsor lets her live in her grandmother's home for 30 days where she meets her sponsor's brother and the two form a music group, forging a bond between two "unlovable" people.

Great indie drama based on the events of lead actress Charlene deGuzman with a great performance by John Hawkes, who plays her sponsor's reclusive brother. Hawkes even wrote three original tunes that were used in the film and I can't get the song "Time Traveler" out of my head...has a Weezer/Redd Kross indie rock feel to it.

Village of the Damned (1995) by John Carpenter

Schlok!

The Selfish Giant (2013) by Clio Barnard

Quite good kitchen sink drama, but not on the level as Ken Loach or Terence Davies.

+

People on Sunday (1930) by Fred Zinnemann, Edgar G. Ulmer, Robert Siodmak and Curt Siodmak

Excellent city documentary from the thirties.

Snooze factor rating = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Apostle

Usual Netflix fare. Semi interesting story ruined half way through by change in direction.

Thought Michael Sheen was decent, while Dan Stevens floundered a bit.

When Marnie Was There (2014)

The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Apostle
(2018)

F*ck what a gore ride! I love pagan movies that turn out bloody!

Mandy

Crazy evil in a crazy good film. Supernatural horror or a hallucinogenic nightmare or something of the two, it gives no clear answers but is one hell of a wild ride all drenched in glorious eye popping pallete. Nic Cages range of emotions is spellbinding. Throw in Bill Duke and real life cenobites for good measure and my mind is considerably blown mandy is the ****ing nuts.

+

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

I think Mandy is gonna have a small run on the Redbox and
other avenues. Happy Halloween from Abraxas!

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Monster Party

Writer/director Chris Von Hoffmann outdid himself after his feature film debut Drfiter with this story of three teenage thieves infiltrating a lavish dinner party only to learn the guests at this party are a group of serial killers! And these three will have to survive the night as they become the prey. Great established cast from Julian McMahon and Robin Tunney to Sam Strike, who is definitely meant to do horror films after this and the recent Leatherface.

Hereditary (2018, Ari Aster)

Very well shot, slow-burn supernatural horror with an auteurish feel. Some genuinely creepy moments in this.

Excellent movie. Really enjoyed it.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Wow, someone else who knows of Ugly Americans?

use to watch "all the t.v." .

The Headless Woman (2008) by Lucrecia Martel

A depiction of the ambivalence in the psychological development of the protagonist. A very situational film which in many ways lack the context of a thoughtful narrative. In a sense the distance between the protagonist and her surroundings seems like an interesting way of depicting psychological ambivalence, but in the end the films is way to subtle and lack a strong manuscript.

I still regard Martel as one of the more interesting directors of latin america, with Zama being her masterpiece.

+