The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Another two I've seen but I'll not count The Mummy as it's been decades since as sadly I didn't get to revisit it before the deadline. Did get round to Lang's The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse though and even if it goes a little over-the-top in the closing stages it's still a wonderfully compelling watch imo that has held up well enough to take the #21 spot on my ballot.

Seen: 28/46
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
3. La bête humaine [The Human Beast] (Jean Renoir, 1938) [#78]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
5. Le jour se lève [Daybreak] (Marcel Carné, 1939) [#57]
8. Les Misérables [Les Miserables] (Richard Boleslawski, 1935) [#67]
16. Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo [I Was Born, But...] (Yasujirô Ozu, 1932) [#75]
19. A Star Is Born (William A. Wellman & Jack Conway, 1937) [#69]
21. Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse [The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse] (Fritz Lang, 1933) [#56]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 2.01):
54. Zangiku monogatari
53. The Hunchback Of Notre Dame

Didn't care very much for the Mabuse sequel. Had it's moments but didn't live up to the longer silent first film.

the mummy is alright but it's one of the lamer universal horror pictures, of which i think i had three on my list
criticker

I do love The Mummy but it didn't make my list. I love all the old Universal monster flicks and any old classic monster movie, so I've got a few on my list but I tried to spread the wealth on my list or I might have top-loaded it with monster movies! Haven't seen The Testament of Dr. Mabuse although I do like Fritz Lang. So, neither made the grade this go-round.

#6 Gunga Din (61)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)

Very happy to see Pepe Le Moko make an appearance, it's another having that cracking Gabin chap in and a film I love .... just not quite enough to earn a place on my ballot though. I didn't make myself rewatch Wuthering Heights, I might like it more as a (supposedly) mature adult than I did as a youth but if I did it would still have been highly unlikely to make my ballot. I'm also not counting it as watched as it's been so many years since.

Seen: 29/48
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
3. La bête humaine [The Human Beast] (Jean Renoir, 1938) [#78]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
5. Le jour se lève [Daybreak] (Marcel Carné, 1939) [#57]
8. Les Misérables [Les Miserables] (Richard Boleslawski, 1935) [#67]
16. Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo [I Was Born, But...] (Yasujirô Ozu, 1932) [#75]
19. A Star Is Born (William A. Wellman & Jack Conway, 1937) [#69]
21. Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse [The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse] (Fritz Lang, 1933) [#56]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 2.01):
52. The Dawn Patrol (1938)
51. A Night At The Opera

Pretty sure I saw Wuthering Heights with my mom in my teen years. Can't be sure so obviously I don't count it. Whatever version I saw it left absolutely no desire to return to the material in any way. Perhaps eventually.

Wuthering Heights is my grandmother's favourite film, still have yet to see it.
Wow, that's kind of weird, because my wife asked her grandmother what her favorite film was and she said Wuthering Heights. And her favorite actress was Merle Oberon.

Seen The Mummy many times as a youth. I didn't quite love it then so I doubt it would have made my list had I watched it again.

I was aware of Dr. Mabuse but wasn't that interested in seeing it. Now that it's made the countdown I'll happily try it.

If I watch Wuthering Heights again, it could become a favorite. With one watch, it didn't make my list.

I never heard of Pepe Le Moko before it was nominated for a HoF. I liked it enough to vote for it here.

9. The Scarlet Empress (#63)
18. The Young in Heart (#65)
19. City Girl (#74)
21. Pepe Le Moko (#54)

I saw Wuthering Heights when I was a teen and liked it but not enough to include it on the list. Pépé le Moko I have not heard of till now. Skunked for today!

#6 Gunga Din (61)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have never heard of Mabuse, have seen The Mummy a number of times and did not make the list. It's been FAR TOO LONG since I've seen Wuthering Heights to remember it.
But, Pepe WAS on my list at #5.

Pépé le Moko

As I've stated, my original nom would have been the remake to this, BUT, once seeing THIS, AND with @Citizen Rules assistance in finding it online, (THANKS - YOU ROCK) there was NO WAY I'd have gone with the remake, Algiers, regardless of my past love of it.

There has been several references to this film as being one that could easily be tagged as noir BEFORE noir came into being. With not only the cinematic style, but with many of the story plots and characters that would become a staple of the genre.
There is also a belief that this character is the inspiration for the cartoon skunk, Pepe le Pew lol

Filmed partially in Algiers with some very well constructed, and detailed sets filmed in studios, we delve into the labyrinth of the Casbah. Home to the criminal element through out the world, with one, in particular, Pépé, who is beloved and feared by them all. Played with the charm and danger befitting the character by Jean Gabin.
Along with the police force that DARE NOT attempt to arrest him within the Casbah, is the clever and patient Inspecteur Slimane, who is both friend and enemy to le Moko.

This movie provides an excellent, and, at times, gritty look into their world and how the "chase" of the past becomes shifted and tossed about with the entrance of a gorgeous woman from Pépé's beloved Paris, his home, which he misses terribly.

I am thrilled that I came across this, for me, unknown original.
Hope you all enjoy it!
Watched 25/48 (52.0%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)