Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I must admit that I may just be cheating a little bit here because ...

I wanted to try and find the proper forum to ask the following question, "There is a film that I consider to be very underrated and I'd very much like to recommend it to you all as well as I'd like to write a sentence or two explaining the reason why. This is not nearly large enough to constitute a review and I'm not at all certain how to go about this. Specifically, can anyone please tell me, where would be the best place for me to post such a recommendation?

I'm not sure that it is at all appropriate to start a new thread in the Movie Discussion forum. I would very much appreciate if anyone here can point me to the proper forum for such a thing. But in the meantime, here is the description of the movie that I would like to recommend to you - especially if you love the "Film Noire" genre.

I hope that you may be old enough to have seen some of the "I Love Lucy" episodes because I'd like to tell you about a a film in which Lucille Ball appears and she does not come off as anything whatsoever like her screwball "Lucy" character from her TV show. Believe it or not, she plays a lady who I find to be romantically very attractive - the kind of lady that I would like to ask out for dinner and/or some romance.

The film is titled "The Dark Corner" (1946). It stars Lucille Ball, Mark Stevens, William Bendix and Clifton Webb. Lucy portrays a secretary to a small time Private Investigator who is hard-working and honest and the kind of man that most men would like to have as a best friend. The story is about a murder and some standard kind of events often present in "film noire". But it revolves around the P.I. and his secretary. Lucy does not behave anything like the screwball you may well know. She made me believe that she was a very sweet young lady from the Midwest - just the kind of gal that I'd like to romance and marry. She does a great job in this role and she almost single-handedly carries the entire film.

Not to downplay Mark Stevens. Although I had never heard of him before or since he made this film. AAMOF, to my recollection, I remembered the lead role as having been played by Alan Ladd and that may tell you just what you need to know about the character he played. As an actor, he is awfully reminiscient of Alan Ladd - at least in my opinion he certainly seems to be.

William Bendix was great in this film. IMHO, he is very under-rated and I almost always greatly enjoy his participation in any film I see.

But, it is the "give and take" between Lucille Ball and Mark Stevens that made this film so enjoyable and I strongly recommend it to you on that basis.

P.S. I'd like to make one or two other tiny suggestions to anyone who writes movie reviews. I am strictly an amateur when it comes to writing movie reviews. So, please take these suggestions with a grain of salt.

I saw something that one of the reviewers did on this site and it looked like a terrific idea to me (although I'm finding it difficult to explain why). However, I will go out on a limb and suggest this as part of a standard procedure that any movie reviewer might consider when writing a future review. Please do not be offended at the idea that a know-nothing amateur like me is trying to tell you how to do your job. Just ask Yoda. That's just the kind of fool I am.

Actually, I'd like to make two suggestions to you. Here they are. I hope you may find one of them useful.

The first suggestion is that when reviewing a film, I have found it can often save the reader considerable time and trouble if the reviewer includes the year it was released in the title. i.e.

The Dark Corner (1946)

I have found a few movie reviews on this site that do not list the year the film was released and that made things downright difficult for me if I wanted to find more info.

Also, I saw a reviewer include one of the most memorable lines of dialog from a film very close to its title. I don't know exactly why I think this is such a good idea. But it sure did make the film memorable to me and it sure did help me pinpoint the name of the film and/or find the film in a movie review site whenever I needed to find some info about the film. In general, I just think it's a real good idea.

For example, when it comes to the movie "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", I consider that move to possibly be one of the ten best movies ever made and the line that I'd display prominently would be close to:

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges" ... or ...

"Badges? We don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

I'm not sure which line would be best for The Dark Corner. But it might well involve a roll of nickels or a white suit. After you have seen this film, you will certainly remember the significance of that roll of nickles and the white suit.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this recco and I hope you may find some time to watch The Dark Corner and I sure do hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. I really loved it. It's not necessarily a great film. But for some reason, I could watch it over and over again. It was truly that wonderful.

This has been just a tiny suggestion for anyone writing movie reviews. I'm very sorry that I don't remember who it was who I first saw doing this, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the people who review films on this site.

Best wishes to all of you. Ciao for now and have a great day.

BTW, one other film I'd like to recommend is "The Big Steal". It is also film noire. But not as noire as most oither film noires. It was made in 1949 and stars Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer and - well, what do you know? William Bendix. Bendix plays a bad guy in both these films. I always enjoy his participation. It doesn't matter whether he plays a good guy or a bad guy.

OK. Ciao for Now! Doggone it all to Heck! I still can't post any links. Oh dear.

Welcome to the human race...
Halloween (1978) -

Halloween II (1981) -

Halloween III: Season of the Witch -

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers -

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers -

Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers -

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later -

Halloween Resurrection -

Halloween (2007) -

Halloween II (2009) -

Halloween (2018) -

Any questions?

I Saw The Devil (2010)
Ang-ma-reul bo-at-da

What made this movie be opposed and criticized was not just the shockingly violence and explicit horror, with scenarios that you could fell like you were the victim almost in first-person, was the process, and that process is what makes this movie magnificent. Human emotions are a gift from our animal ancestors. Cruelty is a gift humanity has given itself, and the process is the pure representation of that cruelty, and because we can't embrace it, we like to picture it from someone else's eyes. This is a masterpiece in that sense.

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★★
An exercise in atmosphere, still frightening after 40 years.

★★
This is what I call wasting potential. Lack of atmosphere, lack of substance, bad script, lacking of freaking violence (it's a Slasher for God's sake), lacking interesting characters. The film has an interesting long sequence, with Michael walking the streets leaving bodies behind, at the end of this sequence I said to my girlfriend: This movie will not have anything better than this sequence! And unfortunately I was right -
WARNING: "Halloween" spoilers below
what about that romance? does not make sense! And the cell phone that is silly discarded? And the plot twist involving the "New Loomis"?
This film is a true mixture of bad ideas, bad script and bad acting. The only interesting character is Michael Myers himself, and he uses a damn mask... twenty minutes in, and I just wanted him to kill everyone in the most violent way possible (especially the niece, the daughter - and her husband too, damn it idiot, he was there just to be a useless jerk). Even Laurie was annoying, it wasn't a pleasure seeing this movie. Disappointed.

★★★★
Violence, this film is all about violence. It was a pleasure to see Joe Taslim (The Raid) as the main character, I've bee waiting for this since 2011! Well done.

The best film that I watched this weekend, very clever filmmaking. It's all about loneliness. Melville is a genius. Loved the blue colors. Actually, I loved every aspect of it.

Une femme est une femme (1961, Jean-Luc Godard)

Playful, whimsical Godard, experimenting with sound and cinematic language. Not all of it works but it's a lovely watch nonetheless, with sweet, enchanting atmosphere, eye-popping colors, and Anna Karina at her most luminous.

BBC documentary from about a decade ago in two parts. Loved it though it made me cry. How anyone can hurt an elephant is beyond my comprehension. And that includes idiots who buy ivory.

Snooze factor rating = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Blade Runner 2049

Second viewing.

So much better the second time for some reason. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Medium to Slow paced and intimidate.Predominately character driven exposing a mystery, broken up by grand visuals with bass thumping whoom whooomp nerrrp (lol) sounds. I like it more than the original. Would happily buy this on blue ray.

4.5/5

Blade Runner 2049

Second viewing.

So much better the second time for some reason. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Medium to Slow paced and intimidate.Predominately character driven exposing a mystery, broken up by grand visuals with bass thumping whoom whooomp nerrrp (lol) sounds. I like it more than the original. Would happily buy this on blue ray.

4.5/5
Do it. I have a 4k version, and I go back and watch bits of it every week. Truly stunning from Villeneuve and Deakins.

Saw this nice comparison of BR49 and Tarkovsky today:

Hard Target (1993, John Woo)

A slice of unabashedly poetic, nostalgia-drenched slow-mo action extravaganza, with Van Damme at the top of his game.
Silly and implausible? Hell yes, but that's part of the fun.

“I was cured, all right!”

Hard Target (1993, John Woo)

A slice of unabashedly poetic, nostalgia-drenched slow-mo action extravaganza, with Van Damme at the top of his game.
Silly and implausible? Hell yes, but that's part of the fun.
Hell Yeah!
The art of Decoupage: