FilmStruck streaming service

Tools    

I had planned on getting Filmstruck, but thanks to my propriety Sony Blu Ray player I couldn't get the Filmstruck app. What sucks for me is my library recently got rid of 1000s of DVDs to make room for newer stuff. Guess which DVDs they got rid of? Most of the older classics

I had planned on getting Filmstruck, but thanks to my propriety Sony Blu Ray player I couldn't get the Filmstruck app. What sucks for me is my library recently got rid of 1000s of DVDs to make room for newer stuff. Guess which DVDs they got rid of? Most of the older classics
Yeah man, I still think we have more access to stuff then we ever have so I don't want to sound like a cry baby. For profit companies are going to move away from the older stuff though, there just isn't enough mass appeal anymore to turn big profit. I like Netflix for what it is but their classic selection has always been atrocious. I got excited last month because three Welles movies showed up in anticipation for his lost film coming up. 3, whoopty doo.

My hope is that as streaming services can't handle huge classic libraries that more and more will show up on YouTube. They still have a tendency to remove a lot of films but maybe as more of that stuff doesn't have proprietary value that stuff will stay there.

I don't know. It's an interesting time. Streaming is still a baby relatively speaking. I may be shocked at what is available 5-10 years from now. Filmstruck was just such a God send that if it couldn't survive it's hard to see something else stepping in in the near future.

Master of My Domain
One streaming service tanking doesn't automatically prove that physical media is superior, but MoFo is funny that way.

One streaming service tanking doesn't automatically prove that physical media is superior, but MoFo is funny that way.
Just for the record, I never said physical media is superior and streaming sucked...Rodent said that.

I said this about Filmstruck
It sucks that Filmstruck is being axed. Obviously there's more money in endless and mindless sequels & reboots, than there is in offering the public a chance to see hard to find older classics and indie films.

Master of My Domain
Just for the record, I never said physical media is superior and streaming sucked...Rodent said that.
Right. And I'm not blaming anyone, just pointing out a flawed way of thinking.

Criterion was on Hulu and it sounds like you have an internet provider issue. Never had one problem with streaming unless my router was acting up. I loved the way the library was curated. Loved the clean layout. Loved how you could search by decade, genre, or director. Loved how they had a leaving soon section. Filmstruck kicked Netflix's ass in layout, not even close for me.

I know I might be coming across as a bit if a jerk but Filmstruck was a wannabe cinephiles dream come true. I am so sad it's gone soon.

Criterion was on Netflix until 2011 and then moved to Hulu until 2016 and then moved to Filmstruck

Criterion was on Netflix until 2011 and then moved to Hulu until 2016 and then moved to Filmstruck
Interesting, I have no memory of Netflix carrying Criterion.

What makes me sad about this is that we'll probably never get another perfectly curated space for old films, art house and Criterion again. The film world will be markedly worse without it.

It celebrated classic cinema from every corner of the world, from the glossy star studded blockbusters to the low budget and obscure. It was a site where you could watch Ozu and then put on Shaft to relax. It had the mainstream and the weird, and you felt how loved every film was.

Not to mention, they featured films that were often long out of print as far as any time of physical home release was concerned.

Streaming is going to dictate the film canon for 21st century artists. I really don't hope these companies and their disgusting counters end up burying anything that is old and/or obscure and not on the AFI Top 100. This is really disgusting.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
So nobody thinks this is gonna be repackaged and rebranded as a new service? I had never even heard of it until today. Hence maybe the "old brand's" problem.

So nobody thinks this is gonna be repackaged and rebranded as a new service? I had never even heard of it until today. Hence maybe the "old brand's" problem.
Filmstruckout perhaps?

Don't get me wrong, I do see the appeal of streaming and the use of online services...

However, as I've said many a time... Ł10 for the disc to watch it whenever I want without paying again and again and again, with superior sound and picture quality, is by far and away a better prospect to me personally than using online sites.

Look at Netflix, they change their lineup all the time so when the time comes that you'd want to watch something, you can't... and look at Disney, who I've heard will be moving everything they own to their own site for which you will have to pay more money for. Considering Disney own something stupid like 80% of everything now, it's just a finger in the eye of anyone who uses the web to get their movies.
This news of an online site shutting down, kinda sums up the unreliability of depending on other people.
It's just my opinion.

You do realize with streaming services like Filmstruck you don't pay for each movie over and over? It's a monthly subscription.

I think it's more of a "I know what I have and it will always be there with or without an internet connection" versus "all this stuff you may or may not want and hoping the internet never goes out".

Yeah I think their is a bit of naivete to think it's not going to pop on on a different streaming service (Amazon, Disney, or WB)

I think it's more of a "I know what I have and it will always be there with or without an internet connection" versus "all this stuff you may or may not want and hoping the internet never goes out".

this is my thinking on it as well. Streaming is convenient but i'd rather own for a multitude of reasons.

I have Drive. I have Predator. On Tuesday, I'll have 3 copies of Mandy .

Streaming is great, but I really wanna watch movies when the utilities go down or the apocalypse is happnn .

I have Drive. I have Predator. On Tuesday, I'll have 3 copies of Mandy .

Streaming is great, but I really wanna watch movies when the utilities go down or the apocalypse is happnn .
There's that and more, too. What about if you wanna take some screen grabs and make a sick flyer for a double feature sat night with a buddy to post on FB? What if you wanna reverse engineer the Columbia Pictures lady? What if Prime or NF has an old movie logo bumper intro and you wanna see it in HD? Ya gotta wait til it buffers. Can you pause until it does.///buffer? Not bloody likely. I want to see the touchstone Pictures emblem NOW and I want it full rez. What about special feautres? Falling asleep to Wim Wenders director's commentary? What about rewinding FF?! Catch a quick glimpse of Kevin Bacon's penis? No problem! On blu ray you just rewind..and the best part is, besides him not being as big as everyone says...you don;t have to wait for the streaming connection to "catch up" so you can see an HD penis!

Hearing about the cast of Predator having dysentery and sword fighting may be my favorite part of the movie.

Quick math. I spend about $200 a year on physical media, $120 on Filmstruck. We will give it a nice generous round up to $400.

I watched 108 movies on Filmstruck last year, most criterion titles. In the interest of being fair we will say that would average $15 a piece to buy. That's $1,620.

A difference of $1,220, and I am being very generous considering criterion are $20 during sales. So I am assuming I can get half the films I watched for $10, which I probably can't.

Yeah, I love buying and owning movies too, but there isn't even a comparison on cost to me yearly.

So until you guys start buying my media for me or I all of a sudden have a weird desire to watch Kevin Bacon naked over and over, I will continue to mourn the passing of Filmstruck.