The Planet's Most Famous Film Characters

Tools    

If every living individual on the planet were to tell you all the characters they know - from film, what name would be mentioned most frequently?

In an attempt to find the answer, I've conducted research involving thousands of people from all over the world. The response has formed a list based on a multitude of different cultures and their perspectives.

Note that animated characters were not considered during the research. That leaves out your Cinderellas, Mickeys, Tarzans, and so on. If a character spawned from something other than film – a book, a comic, a theme park ride, take your pick – it was still considered for this list. The following were the results:

1. Harry Potter
  2. Superman
  3. Batman
  4. Spider-Man
  5. James Bond

Food for thought: Further down the list were Sherlock Holmes, Indiana Jones, Forrest Gump, Jack Sparrow, The Joker, Terminator, Dracula, Wolverine, Hulk and Iron Man. Interestingly, and perhaps as expected with most, three franchises would dominate a larger list:
  • Harry Potter with Harry, Hermione, Ron, Voldemort, Snape, Dumbledore
  • Star Wars with Luke, Leia, Han Solo, Darth Vader, Yoda, Obi-Wan
  • LOTR with Frodo, Aragorn, Legolas, Sauron, Gollum, Gandalf

Seeing as Potter and Bond bear monumental franchises on their shoulders, I can see why they're well-known to so many. Superheroes are superheroes, I guess. How many people were involved in this research, if you don't mind me asking?

If every living individual were to tell you all the characters they know from film, what name would be mentioned most frequently?
In terms of sheer ubiquity and cultural penetration - with the admission that he’s still extremely new in overall historical terms - my mind immediately went to Harry Potter. I can’t imagine anyone old enough to talk not knowing that character.

The truth is in here
I think the fact that those characters in the top 5 were created before they ever became movie characters has helped them sustain their longevity. Just look at Batman and Superman. They've been around since the 30's!

How many people were involved in this research, if you don't mind me asking?
Close to 17 000 people were involved.

Rose and Jack from Titanic are pretty big considering how hugely successful the movie was.
Both had a lot of inclusions among female respondents in particular, but the impression is that they're more comparable to principal characters from films such as Hunger Games and Twilight. It appears that their cultural status is quite far off major characters from the largest franchises.

But you're talking about a book series that began in 1997 and a film series that started in 2001. I don't doubt Harry Potter's popularity but there are characters, such as James Bond, that have been in films and other media for more than 50 years. Don't you think people around the world who are older than 30 would know other characters?

Don't you think people around the world who are older than 30 would know other characters?
That's an oddly worded question. I believe what you mean to ask is if I think those people would know other characters, while not knowing Harry Potter. If that's the question, the answer is 'of course'. But I would bet my house and wife there are more people who know Harry Potter than any other character, mainly because of his worldwide presence. Harry Potter is the global superhero of the century. It speaks for itself that he's almost as popular in Eastern culture as he is in Western culture.

1. The Bride
2. Yoda
3. Lara Croft
4. Gandalf
5. Darth Vader
6. Harry Potter
7. Dirty Harry
8. Aragorn
9. James Bond
10. Vito Corleone

anyone with me on Heath ledger's The Joker?

Did anyone say Tom and Jerry?