The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm so into Marlene Dietrich. I don't even think she's that pretty but she's dirty hot. The Scarlet Empress is the highest from my list to show up so far, and it finally gave me my first HoF win after 2371 tries.

I watched Captain Courageous, I think for the movie tournament? I liked it quite a bit but not enough to make my list.

9. The Scarlet Empress (#63)
18. The Young in Heart (#65)
19. City Girl (#74)

I watched Captain Courageous, I think for the movie tournament? I liked it quite a bit but not enough to make my list.

Yes I nominated that and Dodsworth in the last movie tournament

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Captains Courageous is a good movie, but it didn't make my list.

I tried watching The Scarlet Empress for this countdown, (when it was nominated in the HoF), but I just couldn't get into it, so I didn't finish it. I'll have to try watching it again someday.

Yes! Another from my list to make it. And that one is Captains Courageous, a film I saw way back in the 60's when my elementary school rolled the projector in our auditorium for all us wee ones. I was totally transfixed then and every time I get the chance I watch it. So it definitely made it at #13. The Scarlet Empress, despite my liking Marlene Deitrich, I had never heard of, so no-go there.

#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)

I have fond memories of Goodbye Mr. Chips and have seen it a few times through my life but the last would have been over 30 years ago and sadly I just never got around to rewatching it for this so I couldn't reliably put it on my ballot and for me this will be 'the one that got away' as I'm pretty sure it would have stood a very good chance. Didn't rewatch Gunga Din - would've definitely watched it as a kid (but that's far too long ago for me to count it as watched in the stats), can't honestly say it left much of an impression though.

Seen: 24/40
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
3. La bête humaine [The Human Beast] (Jean Renoir, 1938) [#78]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
8. Les Misérables [Les Miserables] (Richard Boleslawski, 1935) [#67]
16. Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo [I Was Born, But...] (Yasujirô Ozu, 1932) [#75]
19. A Star Is Born (William A. Wellman & Jack Conway, 1937) [#69]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 2.01):
60. It's A Wonderful World
59. Kid Galahad

Another O-fer. I think more than any other list this will give me a great watchlist for the decade.
It's a solid list, I was surprised at how diverse it is...and how many I need to watch myself

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Goodbye, Mr. Chips is a wonderful story of love and loss at a British boys school with terrific chemistry between Robert Donat and Greer Garson (oops!). In fact, every scene with Oscar winner Donat is great I find much of the film extremely humorous yet equally as much a sobfest. Almost made my list.

I love Gunga Din, my 23rd. Great comedy, action and adventure - Spielberg and his collaborators borrowed liberally from it for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I love the camaraderie of the "Boys", but it does turn pretty scary there. I'd much rather have Gunga Din (Sam Jaffe) on my side than the Thugee leader. I hope it's OK if I still cry [yet again] at the end too. Oh yeah, if you'ce ever traveled throughout Cali [California, not Kali!] you might be amused to find Mt. Whitney in the middle of the Himalayas.

Seen 40/40
My List
4. Porky in Wackyland (82)
5. The Young in Heart (65)
16. Love Me Tonight (92)
18. The Bitter Tea of General Yen (98)
23. Gunga Din (61)

Goodbye, Mr. Chips is a wonderful story of love and loss at a British boys school with terrific chemistry between Robert Donat and Rosalind Russell. In fact, every scene with Oscar winner Donat is great I find much of the film extremely humorous yet equally as much a sobfest. Almost made my list.

I love Gunga Din, my 23rd. Great comedy, action and adventure - Spielberg and his collaborators borrowed liberally from it for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I love the camaraderie of the "Boys", but it does turn pretty scary there. I'd much rather have Gunga Din (Sam Jaffe) on my side than the Thugee leader. I hope it's OK if I still cry [yet again] at the end too. Oh yeah, if you'ce ever traveled throughout Cali [California, not Kali!] you might be amused to find Mt. Whitney in the middle of the Himalayas.

Seen 40/40
My List
4. Porky in Wackyland (82)
5. The Young in Heart (65)
16. Love Me Tonight (92)
18. The Bitter Tea of General Yen (98)
23. Gunga Din (61)
What you said about Gunga Din---dead on! Not only one of my favorite movies of the 30's but one of my favorite movies, period! You're also right about the "borrowing" for "Temple of Doom." Last time I watched it, it just dawned on me that they had done that even though I'd seen both movies many times. D'oh! So it made #6 on my list. I've wanted to see Goodbye, Mr. Chips for a long time but I always seem to miss it when TCM airs it. It's almost like I'm not meant to see it!

List so far:
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Goodbye, Mr. Chips is on that Haven't Seen MUST See List and watched Gunga Din for the 30s HoF and though it was a lot of fun, did not have room for my final list. Glad to see it make it!

Gunga Din

AKA: The Dangers of Bored White Folk

Had a lot of fun with this one and I'm pretty sure if I had seen this as a kid or teen, it would have been a favorite of mine. Shame it took so long into my life to finally getting around to seeing this, but very happy to have finally done so.

Yes, Grant's accent and it's continual disappearance is quite apparent, but, I gotta admit, knowing full well about it, I kinda actually ignored it.
The comedic aspects and the "troublesome boys" of these three men who need war to keep them occupied or trouble WILL ensue was very nicely done. Each of their personalities interacted and combined very well and the friendship REALLY came through when they were together.

The same can be said about the action sequences and the scenes between. It all kind of rolled along quite nicely and I stayed entertained throughout. While I could nitpick the fight scenes, I won't since I grew up watching such and simply chuckle and enjoy.

Some of the filming, especially at night was really well done and they did a great job with desert scenes.

Surprisingly, I have very little say, even though I enjoyed it as much as I have.
Still, a very fun lil adventure flick - BRAVO Cosmic!

Watched 22/40 (55.0%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Was gonna say "Cary Grant, the original film adventurer," but that probably more accurately goes to Douglas Fairbanks for his early action flicks like The Thief of Bagdad (1924). Regardless, Gunga Din is my #16.

Ballot:
2. SONS OF THE DESERT (1933)
10. LITTLE CAESAR (1931)
16. GUNGA DIN (1939)
25. MONKEY BUSINESS (1931)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunga Din.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	49228