The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Have not seen either one and just recently watched the second remake with Judy Garland which I quite enjoyed and should watch the original A Star is Born with March.
I'm sure you already know this but the 1930s A Star is Born isn't a musical like the 1950s version. And I think they're remaking it...again!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've seen both the 1937 and the 1954 versions of A Star Is Born, and I liked both versions a lot. Even though I prefer the 1954 version, I thought the 1937 version had made my list, but I just checked, and it looks like it got cut in the last round of cuts.

I haven't heard of L'Atalante.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm sure you already know this but the 1930s A Star is Born isn't a musical like the 1950s version. And I think they're remaking it...again!
yep, the one March is about an actor and actress, the Judy Garland one is an actor helping up and coming singer, the 70s one with Streisand (I believe) is with rock music and the most recent (this year) is with Bradley Cooper and lady gaga.
When I watched Garland's version on TCM a few Sundays ago, they had Cooper on talking before and after the film.

Have never heard of L'Atalante, so not on my list. I haven't seen the Janet Gaynor version of A Star Is Born, only the Judy Garland version. So it didn't make my list either.

#8. Destry Rides Again (72)

Countdown entries so far that I chose for my list!

Monkey Business (1931)

Sons of the Desert (1933)

My Ballot:
2. Sons of the Desert (1933)
25. Monkey Business (1931)
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	MonkeyBusinessCast1.png
Views:	112
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	49148   Click image for larger version

Name:	SotD.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	49149  

Yahoo! Finally another from my list....Fury,love that film. Who says Spencer Tracy can only play comedy opposite Kate Hepburn, he's so good at being full of rage.

My list so far1
9 Bachelor Mother
10 Swing Time
17 Fury
23 A Star Is Born

Sadly didn't get round to Fury as I couldn't locate a copy to watch but after seeing the modern musical version not so long ago (and finding I enjoyed it quite a lot) I did watch Les Misérables for the first time and loved it enough for it to take the #8 spot on my list.

Seen: 21/34
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
3. La bête humaine [The Human Beast] (Jean Renoir, 1938) [#78]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
8. Les Misérables [Les Miserables] (Richard Boleslawski, 1935) [#67]
16. Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo [I Was Born, But...] (Yasujirô Ozu, 1932) [#75]
19. A Star Is Born (William A. Wellman & Jack Conway, 1937) [#69]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 2.01):
66. Nirmala
65. The Whole Town's Talking

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Didn't see either. Have a feeling I'm really going to dig the top 50, as most of that I'll have seen and liked. Sue me for being 30s mainstreamer

I've only actually seen two of the films so far...

88. Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)
70. L'Atalante (1934)

Both absolutely fantastic films that would have made me list. Young Mr. Lincoln would have been near the very top of my list. It's one of the best John Ford films in my eyes and perfectly encapsulates everything that is great about him. Its a simplistic moral tale that blends fact and fiction, that's elevated in its nuanced approached, and tells its story through how the camera moves and captures gestures, symbols and so on.

My memory of L'Atalante isn't as clear as a hypnotic poetic film that sucks you in like a dream. A must watch for lovers of cinema, and I'm surprised that it's not higher. I desperately need to rewatch it myself.

Some films that would have been on my list, in a rough order:

Ceiling Zero
Only Angels Have Wings
Stagecoach
M
Modern Times
City Lights
It Happened One Night
Bringing Up Baby
Scarface
Trouble in Paradise
La Grande Illusion
The Rules of the Game
A Night at the Opera
Duck Soup
The 39 Steps

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Les Misérables was number seven on my list! Bolesławski didn't direct it, though. He did direct a 1935 film of the same title, but it's not the movie.

The film was directed by Raymond Bernard (the same guy who directed the one-pointer Wooden Crosses) and released in 1934.

I know Google gives you year 1935 and director Bolesławski upon googling the film, but sometimes it's good to double-check with many sources.

In short: YOU FAILED CITIZEN! AREN'T YOU ASHAMED OF YOURSELF?!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Hey, two more of mine. I had Destry Rides Again as my number twent-five and Fury all the way up at number nine.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've been an advocate of Fury most of my life. For me, it's easily Lang's best American film. The story of mob violence and revenge is another film which is exciting social commentary which shows how little life has truly changed after 80 years. Sidney and Tracy are believable as a loving couple torn apart by the worst aspects of human nature. Once again, it seems impossible that I didn't list it but I guess I'm a wacko - as if the 10 of us in this thread didn't know.

Boleslawski's Les Misérables condenses Victor Hugo's epic to its basics and is still very powerful in its depiction of law and order, crime and punishment and how cruelty and indifference cause injustice. Fredric March suffers, finds aid and support from human goodness but is constantly thwarted by Charles Laughton's blind sense of never-ending judgment. By the way, Bernard's gargantuan multi-part version [released in 1934] is damn fine. Not on my list.

I had Fury at #23. I probably should have had it higher but it's been a while since I've seen it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
VERY surprising that I haven't seen Fury considering it's a film right up my alley and even MORE surprising that I haven't watched Laughton in Les Miserables

EDIT: And now to rectify that:

VERY well filmed and firmly engaging version of Victor Hugo's Les Miserables with both Laughton and March doing exemperary jobs as the lead characters and a very cool cameo by John Carradine in the Universal Cafe inciting riot.
Would have TOTALLY been on my list.

Watched 18/34 (52.9%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Love Fury and agree that Spencer Tracy is phenomenal in it. And Sylvia Sydney---she was some kind of babe back then, wasn't she? Wasn't on my list as I had to go with a couple of more Tracy movies that I liked better. And Sylvia Sydney was on my list in a film but I'm pretty sure it won't show up here. Oh well. Didn't see this version of Les Misérables, but boy do I want to now! Those two powerhouse actors together? Get out of town! I'll definitely check that one out.

List:
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)