MoFo Health Thread

Tools    

I believe it can slow your metabolism
I'm not sure that's inherently bad, especially if it's not permanent.

and can harm your body as it can't function well without enough calories or nutrients.
Well, it's not functioning without calories, it's just getting them from fat stores. This is why people lose weight rather than, ya' know, die.

As for nutrients, sure, but you don't have to cut nutrients (particularly essential ones) to cut calories.

I think it's a bit different for each body. I my job I have a lot of people asking me what's the best for....whatever it is they're suffering and I always feel like a tool telling them, honestly, it's a crap shoot with a lot of stuff. It's up to what your body likes.

I find it the most relevant with natural anti inflammatories. That's so body personal it's ridiculous running around recommending stuff. We all lead such different lives, including what we eat that it affects practically everything.

Anyway, counting calories is pretty darn effective, in my experience, particularly when trying to form new habits.
Heck, yes. But I am all for daily exercise as well. I don’t believe an ideal weight can be maintained without consistent exercise.

I know people who stay thin with basically no exercise, so I'd say it's extremely person-dependent.

Might also depend on how broad the term is, though, IE: whether "exercise" means something fairly intense or prolonged, or really just means "not completely sedentary."

Not an ideal goal to be “thin”. I think a minimum of 30 minutes of some kind of exercise is the least one can do daily. I walk for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours daily & this works well for me. I’m a vegetarian & I try hard not to over-indulge in carbs (which I love) & I am slim. So I am happy.

If I wasn’t afraid of water I would swim daily, which is a great exercise since everything is moving. Running I hate with a passion. Would not go to a gym even if you paid me.

So, as you say, person-dependent. Everyone needs to find something they can stick with without feeling deprived & unhappy.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I vouch for trying it all until something works.

- I've always been thin, ya know skinny with flab . Doing IF without cutting carbs and same type of exercise has me knocking 2 shy of a six pack.

- No caffeine after the first few hours of the day. If I get in bed early, I can be dead to the world for 7-8 hours.

- F that wheat, sez the Doughnut King.

I'm not sure that's inherently bad, especially if it's not permanent.
Chili. That'll speed your metabolism up. I mean real chili. Start with cayenne and build up to as far as you can. Combine that with green tea extract. Boom.

A system of cells interlinked
I know people who stay thin with basically no exercise, so I'd say it's extremely person-dependent.

Might also depend on how broad the term is, though, IE: whether "exercise" means something fairly intense or prolonged, or really just means "not completely sedentary."
I used to be this way, but not anymore! If I don't exercise regularly, I start to develop a bit of a gut. Not huge, but I am tall and thin as it is, so it kind of makes me look like some weird fat skinny guy. Meanwhile, I have gotten myself into pretty good shape over the summer - now I just need to keep it going!

When I started trying to do the Athlean X-100 challenge (100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 body-weight squats, 100 inverted rows) in as little time as possible, the first time I tried it, I came in at 28:34! Yikes! That was pretty bad, and I kept getting gassed and would have to rest for minutes at a time. Now I do it in about 14:25. I still get pretty gassed, but I have seen big improvement. Cardio is still my number one issue, which is pretty normal for a fellow my age, I guess.

Yeah, most of the people I know who fit that description, I should add, were/are under 40, or even 30. I imagine it becomes less viable over time, particularly if exercise is defined broadly (IE: moderate walking).

so low carb/high fat or high fat/low carb?

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, most of the people I know who fit that description, I should add, were/are under 40, or even 30. I imagine it becomes less viable over time, particularly if exercise is defined broadly (IE: moderate walking).
I have settled into a routine of 3 days of weight training, broken up by two days of cardio/burst training, and two days of rest with no exercise activity. I usually sit around watching flicks on those days.

Hold on I need to eat this taco...

OK, moving on!

Sometimes on the cardio days, we go for a fast walk for about 3-4 miles total. It;s starting to get cold though, so some adjustment to more indoor based cardio stuff will happen soon.

so low carb/high fat or high fat/low carb?
I'm not sure I understand the significance of switching the order.

I started off by emphasizing protein and avoiding carbs. I still mostly do that, but I think more of total calories now. But it happens naturally anyway, since most of the things you need to eat to not be hungry while still keeping calories low end up being pretty high in protein.

Fruit is the notable exception: I find a piece of fruit in the middle of the day makes a huge difference. Especially apples. I expect the fiber has a lot to do with it.

That's when listening to the body comes in. Sometimes, it knows sub-zero degrees is coming and I'm not going to have a good time of it slightly underweight as I am. I'm not RAKE thin but sometimes someone refers to me as that. I'm DEFINITELY not rake thin, but I'm definitely on the small side. I'm vegetarian but not vegan, so no flesh, but I do a bit of dairy as long as it's got all the eco stamps etc. (which yes I know is probably bull****). Anyway. In the summer I shed weight. My body wants fresh stuff then, makes sense.

Then if you have the principle of keeping the nicer dried fruits in the house instead of chocolate, etc etc if you're wanting to snack, it's easy to maintain a decent weight without exercising your arse off.

I'm not sure I understand the significance of switching the order.

I started off by emphasizing protein and avoiding carbs. I still mostly do that, but I think more of total calories now. But it happens naturally anyway, since most of the things you need to eat to not be hungry while still keeping calories low end up being pretty high in protein.

Fruit is the notable exception: I find a piece of fruit in the middle of the day makes a huge difference. Especially apples. I expect the fiber has a lot to do with it.

typo lol

I meant high fat/low carb vs high carb/low fat

Yeah, I very much believe in general truths about this stuff, but I've definitely become a bigger believer in the "do what works for you" thing. In most cases the math/effectiveness stuff is accurate and applies to almost everyone, but as they say, the best diet is the one you stick to. What literally works and what "works" in the sense of being sustainable for a specific person are different things.

For example, I know on paper it's supposed to be very important to eat a good breakfast, but I find it very hard to do that and still stick to a good, sustainable diet. It seems to spur my hunger. I'm sure it's good advice with some sound science behind it, but for whatever reason I find it difficult to do, and I've found I can structure my day differently, and it seems to work, so I give the fact of it working priority over what's generally ideal for a non-specific person.

typo lol

I meant high fat/low carb vs high carb/low fat
Thought so, but wasn't sure!

I guess I'd say protein more than fat, but yeah, low carb in general. I think if you figure out what works health and weight wise, though, you're fairly likely to end up with that kind of skew, even if you're not explicitly trying to deemphasize carbs.

I have no idea what to think honestly. The health nut in my family advises super high carb veganism but I am definitely not doing that

I have no idea what to think honestly. The health nut in my family advises super high carb veganism but I am definitely not doing that
Listen to your body. It'll show you what it doesn't like.

When your body craves something, listen to it. OF COURSE within reason. I'm not talking a kilo of chocolate here. But something, you crave iron so bad you can taste blood in your mouth.

For vegetarians, that's when we hit **** like lentils, and seitan (OH THE MEMES) and things that take that iron craving away. Meat eaters, well...eat it medium.