The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

La bête humaine steamed it's way to my #3, a chuffing good watch imo with a great performance from Msr. Gabin as the troubled lead and have I mentioned that I'm always up for some Simone Simon Watched Dodsworth as well and found it enjoyable but sadly it wasn't quite enjoyable enough to make my ballot.

Seen: 12/24 (recovering some credibility slowly)
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
3. La bête humaine [The Human Beast] (Jean Renoir, 1938) [#78]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn):
76. Tumultes
75. The Count Of Monte Cristo

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two more I didn't list. La bête humaine is Renoir's romantic murder mystery which for me the most iconic image is Jean Gabin wearing his goggles.

Dodsworth is a very good drama about a failed marriage and all its ramifications based on a Sinclair Lewis (Elmer Gantry) novel with a superb performance by Walter Huston as the surprisingly-naive husband.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
have not heard of Dodsworth and La Bete Humaine was a film I had originally wanted to see for this and then completely forgot about; ESPECIALLY with Gabin and Simon and directed by Renoir.

will definitely have to remedy that.

Watched 14/24 (58.3%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

Well, as I said before, I'm not very well versed in Renoir films so The Human Beast missed my list. I've missed several opportunities to see Dodsworth but I'll do my best to catch it next time on TCM. Still 0 for 0.

The Music Box is brilliant but as previously stated I choose not to include shorts on my ballots and didn't revisit it. However I Was Born, But... is delightful in it's depiction of playful childhood and did make it as my #16.

Seen: 14/26 (over 50%, still turning it around)
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
3. La bête humaine [The Human Beast] (Jean Renoir, 1938) [#78]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
16. Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo [I Was Born, But...] (Yasujirô Ozu, 1932) [#75]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn):
74. Babes In Toyland
73. Top Hat

I haven’t seen a single one so far....

But anyways, I’m kinda sad I missed out on this. These big decade lists were some of my favorites to participate in.

I haven’t seen a single one so far....

But anyways, I’m kinda sad I missed out on this. These big decade lists were some of my favorites to participate in.
Hang around MM, we just hit the 1/4 mark done and as we move closer to the top of the list the movies will be more well known.

i was born, but... was my #2. i haven't seen it in a while but i loved it and it's my favorite ozu of the three i've seen
criticker

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's embarrassing with all my pimping for The Music Box that I didn't actually list it - I certainly could have, but it would have only gotten a few points for being near the very end. Still I highly recommend that you watch Hashtag's video of the entire short if you haven't.

I Was Born, But... is one of Ozu's early, silent variations on some of his major themes of family, beer and baseball, highly appropriate in this time of the Fall Classic. It's not on my list though.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The only one of the last 8 I have seen is Swing Time. It was OK. I don't think I've ever seen a Laurel and Hardy film.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
You guys sure love your Laurel and Hardy films
loved them as a kid. I do have full length feature on my list and worried it may not even show up unless there are others who enjoyed it as well.
For them, this was always one of my favorite scenes:

and thanks @HashtagBrownies for posting the short for a revisit. Definitely a classic of theirs.

Watched 15/26 (57.9%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)