The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm rather happy with that image I made of Swing Time, if I do say so myself Swing Time was my #10 and is the second Ginger Rogers film to make the list. I just love that film, it's very watchable and even those who say they don't like musicals have said they enjoyed it.

Watched both of those, I enjoyed Swing Time even if it did take a little while to fully engage me and Sons Of The Desert might be a little drawn out but has some good Laurel & Hardy moments in it. Neither quite made my list though and I'm slightly surprised Swing Time is this low.

Seen: 10/22 (still rather low but not quite so embarrassingly so)
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn):
78. Waterloo Bridge
77. Tabu: A Story Of The South Seas

Swing Time was a contender for my list but didn't quite make it.

Sons of the Desert was just ok for me.

I think this is the longest I've gone on a countdown with nothing from my list appearing. I usually have a few of the lower entries.

Swing Time was a contender for my list but didn't quite make it.

Sons of the Desert was just ok for me.

I think this is the longest I've gone on a countdown with nothing from my list appearing. I usually have a few of the lower entries.
I was surprised at how varied the countdown list is, and how few of my own films made the countdown.

The reason we still cherish movies like this one is they were made at a time in our nation's history when a movie was enjoyed because it took you out of yourself (and your struggles). A classic movie with these divine dance scenes transported you to a more magical place, and made you smile, smile, smile. . And for this viewer ( and a few million more) Astaire /Rogers still remain the yardstick for all other dancers that followed. When they dance: it's pure joy - perfection!
80+ years later - they still make us smile!

swing time is pretty good but i prefer two other astaire/rogers films, both of which made my list
criticker

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Neither made my list. Sons of the Desert was the first L&H flick I remember seeing - believe it or not, at my grammar school. Check out the trailer here; the entire film is on YouTube.

Swing Time is a solid Astaire/Rogers film with great Jerome Kern songs and comedy support from Victor Moore, Helen Broderick and Eric Blore.

See you tomorrow. Same Bat Time. Same Bat Channel.

Thanks for posting the clips, @mark f - especially the two from Swing Time. Can't wipe the smile off my face now.

Swing Time just missed my cut, though I probably should have made room for it.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Like Holden, Swing Time, sadly, did not make the cut, though a very enjoyable musical. Double sorrow since I was unable to watch another of theirs, Top Hat, which I'm very sure would very likely HAVE made the list.
Here's my review from the Live Musical Hall of Fame:

Swing Time

Having read CR's and Gideon's reviews I just HAD to start off with Swing Time as well.

While these two ARE the epitome of THE dance duo, it was quite a treat watching them dance around a comedic story line. Particularly in the very beginning. Along with, not only the supporting actors, but the extras; all of which contributed comedic chops beautifully.

It's extremely hard to pick a favorite musical number with such a top notch selection. Both the first dancing number in the dance studio and then the final dance number had a memorable cylindrical appeal in regards to the very first and then, what they believed, to be the final time they would ever dance together in the film. Quite lovely.
As for songs, I would definitely have to go with "A Swell Romance". The banter and mock arguing was very enjoyable to see unfold.

And yes, Victor Moore and Helen Broderick stolen scene upon scene upon scene. Which is a truly extraordinary feat considering WHO they were stealing scenes from.

A very wonderful classic and I'm so glad I was finally able to have the circumstance to view it. Thanks Nestorio for nominating this!

Even though my review MAY be short, it pales to the length of enjoyment I had watching this.
Haven't seen Way Out West or Sons of the Desert since I was a wee tyke and just did a rewatch of Porky in Wackyland (thanks, as always @mark f for the link) which I also haven't seen since for as long ago as Laurel & Hardy and chuckled to see what may be the precursor for Daffy Duck in spirit and similar voicing.

Watched 14/22 (63.6%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

The reason we still cherish movies like [Swing Time]is they were made at a time in our nation's history when a movie was enjoyed because it took you out of yourself (and your struggles). A classic movie with these divine dance scenes transported you to a more magical place, and made you smile, smile, smile.
I like that. That's why I often watch a movie, to escape, to be happy, to smile...and that's why I love old movies so much as they often deliver that warm fuzzy feeling.

And for this viewer ( and a few million more) Astaire /Rogers still remain the yardstick for all other dancers that followed. When they dance: it's pure joy - perfection!
80+ years later - they still make us smile!
Amen to that. Fred Astaire could float on air, I swear. And even though he had other dance partners in films, I always love seeing him with Ginger Rogers

Love Laurel and Hardy and Way Out West is probably my favorite of theirs. I love Sons of the Desert also. Still, I didn't include L&H on my list. Swing Time is an awesome movie and I love Astaire and Rogers but for some reason, didn't put them on my list. There's just too damn many great 30's movies! Arggh!! I love Porky in Wackyland but my favorite Bob Clampett short is The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (1946 and not available for this list, plus, like Chypmunk I usually don't include shorts on these lists). So, again, despite me loving all these, none made my list. Still, this improves my chances for those on my list to hit the big time!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Swing Time was one of several Astaire/Rogers movies that I considered for my list, but it's not the one that made my list. I'm glad to see that it made the countdown because it deserves to be in the Top 100.

I didn't watch Sons of the Desert because I'm not a fan of Laurel and Hardy, but I've seen some of their movies over the years, and this might be one of them.