The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

There's an old episode of Fantasy Island that reminds me of The Most Dangerous Game. I think it was the pilot for Fantasy Island where a hunter comes to the island looking for the most dangerous hunt of his life...so Mr Rourke (Ricardo Montalbán) hunts him down like he was the prey!

Thought Way Out West was ok but I'm not a big Laurel and Hardy fan.

I didn't have Porky in Wackyland on my list of 30's movies seen. I have seen it, but I don't live in Wackyland.

I choose not to put shorts on my ballots but did watch a couple though Porky In Wackyland wasn't one. However Way Out West is my favourite Laurel & Hardy offering and I had it at number four, glad to see someone else likes it a lot too.

Seen: 8/20 (still embarrassingly low)
My list:
2. Stella Dallas (King Vidor, 1937) [#87]
4. Way Out West (James W. Horne, 1937) [#81]
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931) [1 pointer]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn):
80. The Man Who Changed His Mind
79. Imitation Of Life

"Movie Crazy"
A 1932 comedy starring Harold Lloyd.
Are you fan of Harold Lloyd? I use to watch silent comedy shorts in the morning before school when I was a kid. Good stuff! The man was talented.

Are you fan of Harold Lloyd? I use to watch silent comedy shorts in the morning before school when I was a kid. Good stuff! The man was talented.

Yes, I'm very much a fan of his! Fact is that for the longest time, the only silent movie I ever knew or heard about was "Metropolis." Then, "The Artist" came out in 2011 and loved that. So, I decided to broaden my silent movie horizons a bit and sure enough, among the very first I saw starred Harold Lloyd. And they were witty, they had some charm.

So, I took more of a direct route, you might say, rather than passively being exposed to it. Which is kind of hard to do, anymore, I don't know who shows them other than TCM, or some channel like that. And so many of them are being lost due to obscurity and neglect. It's not like they're so tremendous and singularly entertaining or anything like that, but if you're looking for something different, they don't get much more different than "silent."

Yes, I'm very much a fan of his! Fact is that for the longest time, the only silent movie I ever knew or heard about was "Metropolis." Then, "The Artist" came out in 2011 and loved that. So, I decided to broaden my silent movie horizons a bit and sure enough, among the very first I saw starred Harold Lloyd. And they were witty, they had some charm.

So, I took more of a direct route, you might say, rather than passively being exposed to it. Which is kind of hard to do, anymore, I don't know who shows them other than TCM, or some channel like that. And so many of them are being lost due to obscurity and neglect. It's not like they're so tremendous and singularly entertaining or anything like that, but if you're looking for something different, they don't get much more different than "silent."
A lot of silent films are in the public domain so are legal to download. You can find many silent films (and other public domain movies) at YouTube, Dailymotion and the biggest legal public domain site I know of is The Internet Archive.

Top 14 Free Movie Download Websites Completely Legal Places For 2018

(note we're not allowed to post links to illegal download sites here at MoFo, but that link above is for legit legal movies).

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I didn't have Porky in Wackyland on my list of 30's movies seen. I have seen it, but I don't live in Wackyland.
Yes you do.
While I do agree with Chyp and HP that my #4 is in this set, it's Porky in Wackyland, my vote for the best, most-creative, craziest, funniest and fastest-paced short ever made - yes, even more so than the more famous Looney Tunes and Guy Maddin's The Heart of the World. Lots of it obviously inspired the craziest parts of Disney's Alice in Wonderland. Here's the complete flick along with many other Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies.
https://www.b98.tv/video/porky-wackyland/
Way Out West is a cute "western" but I prefer the L&H shorts to any of their features, although this is generally considered their best.
Seen 20/20
My List
4. Porky in Wackyland (82)
16. Love Me Tonight (92)
18. The Bitter Tea of General Yen (98)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I liked the story The Most Dangerous Game when I read it years ago, but I didn't really care much for the movie.

I only considered one short for my list, (although it didn't make my list), but Porky in Wackyland wasn't the short that I considered. It's a good one, but it wasn't enough of a favorite for it to make my list.

I'm not a fan of Laurel and Hardy, but I watched Way Out West for this countdown. It was better than I expected, but it didn't change my opinion of them. and it didn't make my list.

I've never heard of A Day in the Country.

I'm about to present the next two films on the countdown. Any guesses as to what they might be? Hint, one features a well known comedy team and the other a well known dance team.