Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hi there new blood.

What did you like in Superman Returns?

It's been years since I watched it for the last time, seven years if my memory is right, I didn't like it, so it's probably at least a cool movie, since I used to like Batman & Robin, yes, that was my vision of Super Hero back in the day.
What I remember liking about it was it being an homage to the Christopher Reeve films – for instance Kevin Spacey was a perfect alternative for Gene Hackman; and I loved Parker Posey as the moll . Kate Bosworth was really disappointing though for me. I thought she was miscast.

Oh and the machine gun scene rules .

Demolition Man (1993)

I probably shouldn't even post a rating for it since I am seeing this movie for the first time in a completely different era. For what it was though, I liked it. I've never been a Stallone fan, but I like his character here. The movie's forecasting of the future was relatively accurate in some spots and downright laughable in others, but that may have been part of the intent since there are some comedic lines thrown into the movie. If only I had watched it 10+ years ago...I wonder if the most recent Blade Runner will look like this in the actual year 2049?

Welcome to the human race...
Day of the Dead: Bloodline -

What if Day of the Dead but Bub is a creepy stalker?

What if Day of the Dead but Bub is a creepy stalker?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BUB IS AMAZING

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Welcome to the human race...
I was obviously planning on doing a review for my October horror thread, but really it'd just be a really verbose way of rewording that post.

Insiang (1976)

-

I don't know where I came across this but director Lino Brocka has another I'd like to see. Insiang is a poor teenage girl whose father left home and whose mother is mean and controlling. She has another serious problem, and that problem is she's beautiful. This is a bleak slice of life from the streets of Manilla.

Queen of the Damned
(2002)
3.5/5

I have read the books "Blood and Gold", "Pandora", "Merrick", "The Vampire Armand" and "Queen of the Damned" as well as some of the other vampire novels by Anne Rice. Marius is and will always be my favorite character from the series. I wish they would make his book, "Blood and Gold", into a film.

Room 2015
★★★ Watched 11 Oct, 2018

I'm reminded of a criticism levied against Beasts of the Southern Wild in how it used a child's point of view to romanticize destitution and suffering. Room isn't as unabashedly doe-eyed, but the sequences narrated by the boy come closest to conjuring that cloying, confused sensation. I should be happy it's a movie about a dark experience which manages to carve out little slivers of light, but I'm a little too cynical for perfume to cover up the stench of a corpse.

Still, I deeply admire how Abrahamson structures the story. I hope equal time being dedicated to the healing process is adopted by other creators especially when handling nonfiction material. It strikes me as a healthier way of understanding trauma beyond the point of conception.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

''What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down.''

Snooze factor rating = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Paris Texas

Director: Wim Wenders
Written by Sam Shepard
Rated R
150 minutes
Key actors: Harry Dean Stanton, Dean Stockwell, Natasha Kinski, Aurore Clement, and Hunter Carson

A man(Travis) has stumbled back across the border (of sanity?) in a catatonic state. His brother, Walt, takes Travis in while he recovers from his trauma. Walt and his wife, Anne, have been looking after Travis' son, Hunter, because Travis and his wife, Jane, have been missing. Travis' is able to stay with Walt until he is functional enough to begin looking for his wife. He takes Hunter without telling Walt or his wife, and they make an adventure in looking for Jane. In the end Travis is only able to achieve a partial reunion to his family at great sacrifice to himself.

The film elements are all here. There is solid acting throughout, the direction is good, the cinematography is good; however, the star of this movie is the writer of the story, Sam Shepard. You will look long and hard to find scripts as powerful as this one. There are a pair of scenes in this movie that Roger Ebert has singled out as among the best monologues in film history (I have shared a link to a portion of one of those scenes above.) I have rated this film as a five for the following reasons: The script is fantastic, the acting is good, the direction is good, the emotional impact is a strength in this movie. If you require hooks, gimmicks, swift movement of plot, etc. this movie is not for you. However I believe that as a film directed at those who enjoy steady plot and character development, and can be patient with its length and pace will have a hard time finding movies that can match this film. For that audience I rate this one a five.

Hotel Transylvania 3

Not the strongest in the series, but I've always enjoyed these entries. The jokes are simple, but the characters are all likeable and varied.