The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Today's reveal were a pair of Paramounts, or a paramount pair if they were on your list! Not on mine as I haven't seen them....yet. I figure as the host I should eventually watch everything that makes the list. So far you guys are picking some sweet ones.

Love Me Tonight breaks the duck for me. Superb musical with lots of neat camera tricks and great set pieces (That opening!). Really shows off Mamoulian's range as a director.

My List
#15. Love Me Tonight (Rouben Mamoulian)

Didn't watch either of those. Perhaps surprisingly, seeing as I love wordplays, I've never been much of a fan of the Marx Brothers - did try three of theirs again for this and sadly nothing's changed in that regard.

Seen: 2/10
My list:
25. Mädchen in Uniform [Girls In Uniform] (Leontine Sagan & Carl Froelich, 1931)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Love Me Tonight is my #16. The direction is witty and inventive, the dialogue, lyrics and acting hilarious, and the melodies extremely memorable. Here's the best copy I could find.

Monkey Business didn't make my list. This trailer contains nothing from the actual film but is appropriate for this post since all 4 Bros. imitate Maurice Chevalier to get their roles in the movie.

Seen 10/10
My List
16. Love Me Tonight (92)
18. The Bitter Tea of General Yen (98)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Grew up on the Marx Brothers and have seen them all and while I do have my favorite on the list, this wasn't it. Some great trouble making aboard a steam cruiser they're stowing away on.

Woman Passenger: Where's the Doctor? A doctor! I want a doctor!
Chico: Sit. Stay calm. We take care of you. Oh, she's got a chill. Cover her up.
[Harpo sits on her]
Chico: No, no, no, no. Get up. Get up. Take her pulse. Take her pulse.
[Harpo takes her purse]
Chico: No purse! Put it back. Pulse. I think you best take a temperature. That's good. Alright, we take care of you, lady. Alright. Alright. Alright.
Woman Passenger: Oh, you fools! I'm not the patient!
Chico: Well, we're not the doctor.

Have not heard of Love Me Tonight but from @Nathaniel's description, I AM curious.
EDIT: and now, with @mark f's post, the curiosity GROWS

Watched 6/10 (60%)
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven 1 Pointer[/quote]

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn):
90. Ferdinand The Bull
89. The Scarlet Pimpernel

Have heard of but haven't seen Love Me Tonight. Have seen all the Marx Brothers movies and loved 'em all. It's funny about that clip you posted, mark f...they do that Maurice Chevalier song at another time...I believe when they're trying to sneak on a ship and the one I'm talking about is a bit funnier, especially when it gets to Harpo's imitation. I do have a Marx Brothers film on the list but not Monkey Business. I had to put my favorite MB movie on here. It's nice to see these great films here as I'm a bit of a Turner Classic Movies junkie and love old movies.

i like the black cat well enough but it didn't make my list. it's a pretty average universal horror movie, but i guess ulmer's direction makes it a bit more notable
criticker