Hurricane Micheal

Tools    

Searched but did not see anything - if there is already a thread please just delete this one.
I know a few of us are in Florida and surrounding areas (Alabama and Georgia). Please stay safe and listen to evacuation orders. I think we are going to get the weak side of it here in Pensacola so we are staying put.

Best wishes and stay safe.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah, you be careful down there. As it is, it looks like it's heading our way but maybe just the edge of it. Hopefully it will weaken quickly.

I wish they would stop naming hurricanes after people. It's a dumb idea that should be retired. It must suck to live where a hurricane has caused great damage and even loss of life...and then to be named the same as the killer storm. If I was in charge of naming hurricanes I would use the Greek alphabet and numbers, like Alpha 7 or Delta 3

The national media coverage on this seems lacking a bit. I know that an alarming amount of people are riding this one out. Unless something changes this is going to slam into the coast with record numbers. Prayers with everyone involved.

There are people walking around Panama City beach with their dog and taking video on their camera. They seem happy. DO they know whats about to hit them? Oh well, I certainly wish them and anyone else on that beach and surrounding areas the best.

Complacency, ignorance or both I guess. It was what, 1995 since we had anything come directly for us? Maybe they weren't here and have NO idea. I cannot imagine being coastal in the next 5 hours. Exciting I'm sure! But not sure it's for me

@7thson
You still above water? Just getting spots of 4G coverage for news sites and thought I'd check in.

Yeah we were fortunate, not much more than some light wind and a lot of rain. A few trees and power lines down around the city but nothing I saw that was bad at all relatively. Once things cleared up we rode out to the beach here and there were a bunch of surfers having fun. Happy we just missed it, but feel really bad for those that took the full force of this thing.

How did you (or anyone else) fair? Where are you located?

Dothan, AL. Power went out early afternoon I believe for me. I had bits of 4G until around 4am I guess. Everything else dropped around then. My property is relatively unharmed, but down a half mile out are a lot of old oaks tangled up in power lines blocking the road. My guess based on how many lines are down, it may be Monday before we see power. In office now. We opened at noon. Sucks, as I'd rather be homing cleaning limbs out of the yard but I need to get paid I guess. At least we have power and internet services here though.

I got family in the panhandle area without power or water due to using a pump. I'm exhausted, waking every 30 minutes or so to wind gusts or family and/or office staff group skyping/texting each other. I feel like I just imagined this post so if it's full of errors then my apologies. I'm not sure if I'm actually typing this.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Still no power in the neighborhood. Driving in this morning I counted 8 downed lines along the 2.5 mile county road connecting us to the nearest highway. They've cleared the trees off the road, but lines are still collapsed across the roadway. No flooding though!

Glad you're safe and as well as you were before it all started yn - doesn't look too bad all things considered.
Is dat someone praying in the second last photie or am dey just chowing down on some grits???

(yeah yeah yeah - I know's it's not a person really and I DO know grits are)

Glad you're safe and as well as you were before it all started yn - doesn't look too bad all things considered.
Is dat someone praying in the second last photie or am dey just chowing down on some grits???

(yeah yeah yeah - I know's it's not a person really and I DO know grits are)
rofl? that pile of whatever on the left? I have no idea. People do leave trash on the side of the road around here a lot.

Marianna, FL was beat up pretty bad. That's about an hour south of here.

PC Beach... wow. 2.5 hours south (not sponsoring VOX lol, just had a lot of photos).
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...rida-panhandle

So yeah, all things considered, I can live without power for a few days.

@Chypmunk !!!!
lol clever hidden msg ;P I didn't see it until after I quoted you! The internet's version of lemon juice notes!

I was struck that you knew what a grit was too btw ;P Impressive. Most impressive.

So yeah, all things considered, I can live without power for a few days.
Yeah, all joking aside no power for a few days is a light price to pay really. Hope there weren't too many fatalities (preferably none but that would be unusual).

Last count I heard was 11. I don't know how much of PCB or Mexico Beach they've been able to really get to, but considering the level of the hurricane, WOW!

Totally agree that is a light price to pay (you sure that wasn't a pun there?) lol. Most of the area in this city has power. Some grids may be down for weeks though. Still. Better alive without power than the alternative.

Dothan, AL. Power went out early afternoon I believe for me. I had bits of 4G until around 4am I guess. Everything else dropped around then. My property is relatively unharmed, but down a half mile out are a lot of old oaks tangled up in power lines blocking the road. My guess based on how many lines are down, it may be Monday before we see power. In office now. We opened at noon. Sucks, as I'd rather be homing cleaning limbs out of the yard but I need to get paid I guess. At least we have power and internet services here though.

I got family in the panhandle area without power or water due to using a pump. I'm exhausted, waking every 30 minutes or so to wind gusts or family and/or office staff group skyping/texting each other. I feel like I just imagined this post so if it's full of errors then my apologies. I'm not sure if I'm actually typing this.

Sorry about the power issues, hopefully you will get it back on soon if not already. Glad you are okay though. Still have not heard from a few friends in that area. I had a cousin lose a lot just East of Panama City. Here are some pics, he was able to upload as he travels back and forth cleaning things up.

He is going to sleep in whats left of his house at this point as looters have been spotted and there is no law enforcement available atm to help out as they are still doing search and rescue.

That's insane. I heard we had looters here, wtf!? We're relatively untouched compared to PCB, so the idea of looters really is blowing my mind here. I have family in the Bonifay area that have no mobile signal, so maybe it's just that your friends cannot communicate ATM. Hoping everyone comes through safe.

Thanks for the update.