It's hard for me to rate horror movies

Tools    

I rarely get scared at cinema. I watched Dawn of the Dead for the first time yesterday but it didn't scare me a lick. This happens with almost every horror movie I watch. Am I wrong in assuming I shouldn't look for scares because of this? I mean, one half of my loved DotD but the other half was bothered by the lack of svares and the soundtrack.

I don't get scared much and most horror is cheesy if its direct to video.... I watch what interest me and if it suxs I turn it off and give a bad rating on letterboxd....

A titled user of stuff
Same here. Horror doesn't scare me at all and to date I have yet to watch blood come trickling down the walls from the corner of the ceiling nor from the bathroom or kitchen faucet. And I never open doors.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Did you watch the original Dawn of the Dead, or the remake?

Welcome to the human race...
For the sake of comparison, what are some examples of horror movies that did scare you?

The truth is in here
I don't always get scared, but for me the key thing in horror is atmosphere. A great atmosphere is always the most important thing to make a horror movie work. You feel the mysterious mood, the looming dread. If a horror movie fails to invoke any kind of intrigue or immerse me whatsoever, it has failed completely.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The last horror movies I got really scared in I saw were The Descent and The Skin I Live In. The Descent was good for jump scared, but The Skin I Live In just kept me up that night and got under my skin, cause of the horrifying scenario and story.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I’m the opposite. Nearly everything scares me at the Moment lol. Even if it’s not good it just needs to have a bit of quiet and then a loud booming jump scare and I’m on edge for the rest of the film.

If you go and watch a horror movie with the mind set of this won't scare me then it probably won't. If you lose yourself in the plot it's may well scare you if it's a good enough film