The Best and Worst of 2018 (so far)

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Yeah series 1.

That’s a shame. I found it compelling. What oj series is that? Oj made in America?
Nah, OJ Made In America is a different show, that's from 30 For 30 the Sports Documentary people (ESPN i think). American Crime Story Season 1 is called The People vs OJ Simpson.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Yeah I was meaning the American Crime story just getting mixed-up.

I actually liked Versace better than The People vs. OJ Simpson, which was also a great series, but Versace was far more compelling, devastating, and interesting to me. I also loved the fashion, production design, and setting (plus the soundtrack), and was way more invested in these characters than I was during PvOJ. But, I also didn't know much about Andrew Cunanan, so discovering his story fresh was quite a roller coaster, plus I'm a gay man, so that might have added yet another element of interest/involvement to it. I really cared about his victims, and thought Cunanan was a fascinating monster.

Assassination Nation- (3/4)
Mandy- (3.5/4)

Honorable Mention
Nancy
(Dir. Christina Choe)
★★★

Andrea Riseborough is quickly transforming into my spirit guide.
I know people hated Black Mirror's Crocodile, but it turned into one of my favorite episodes if only for Riseborough's presence and performance. Every performance she truly lives as her characters, but like Tilda Swinton and Jessica Lange, has her own distinct traits as an actress that bring a fascinating texture to every one of her portrayals. She embodies each one of them, and can do so much through her eyes and facial expressions alone.

Nancy is a tense, sad, and subdued take on a potentially sensationalist material. An all too real exploration of loneliness that is beautifully played out by the cast, and the quiet, but hypnotic, filmmaking. The cinematography, editing, and especially the original score, cast a spell. A slow burn, but satisfyingly so.

I wouldn't have minded an extra 45 minutes to watch these characters and relationships develop, but where the film ultimately ends is still appropriate. Thanks again to another (after the aforementioned Crocodile) unforgettable final shot focusing solely on Riseborough's commanding talent, and a clear understanding of her character's journey.

edit: meant to give this 3 stars, not 3.5

Honorable Mention
Nancy
(Dir. Christina Choe)
★★★½

Andrea Riseborough is quickly transforming into my spirit guide.
I know people hated Black Mirror's Crocodile, but it turned into one of my favorite episodes if only for Riseborough's presence and performance. Every performance she truly lives as her characters, but like Tilda Swinton and Jessica Lange, has her own distinct traits as an actress that bring a fascinating texture to every one of her portrayals. She embodies each one of them, and can do so much through her eyes and facial expressions alone.

Nancy is a tense, sad, and subdued take on a potentially sensationalist material. An all too real exploration of loneliness that is beautifully played out by the cast, and the quiet, but hypnotic, filmmaking. The cinematography, editing, and especially the original score, cast a spell. A slow burn, but satisfyingly so.

I wouldn't have minded an extra 45 minutes to watch these characters and relationships develop, but where the film ultimately ends is still appropriate. Thanks again to another (after the aforementioned Crocodile) unforgettable final shot focusing solely on Riseborough's commanding talent, and a clear understanding of her character's journey.

is that caroline goodal?

You Were Never Really Here
(Dir. Lynne Ramsay)
★★★½

Haunting and unforgettable. Lynne Ramsay is near the top of the list of the freshest filmmakers working today. Sofia Coppola, Katheryn Bigelow, Sarah Polly, and Kelly Reichardt may be more popular, in a sense, but Ramsey deserves to be just as highly regarded and notable as her fellow female writer/directors. Though she's certainly earned her acclaim with the critics, she's not the most active, with her latest being only her fourth directed film since her marvelous debut Ratcatcher back in 1999. For me, though, this adds a certain special quality to her work, since there are such long waits in between them, I am always eagerly awaiting whatever she does next. And she has yet to let me down (Morvern Callar remains my favorite, but I could rave on about any one of her features), and You Were Never Really Here isn't lacking her distinct vision. It's yet another fresh step forward in her career, and something we haven't quite seen from her. While We Need To Talk About Kevin was restrained, if no less disturbing, in its portrayal of violence, this one is definitely the bloodiest film she's ever made. Still she knows exactly how much to show, and how much to leave to suggestion. Even darker themes are handled with such grace and subtlety, but just enough information so you are just as affected by it, while the violence is given a heightened, almost dreamlike, quality. Albeit not without a certain shock factor. Joaquin Pheonix delivers a performance up with his very best (I can't think of one bad performance from the actor) including The Master. But unlike that film he is such a gentle presence, clearly broken, but with a good heart, but also frightening when he needs to be. It's no wonder he won Best Actor at Cannes, and hopefully will get awards attention next year. Ramsay's signature fragmented style compliments the story perfectly, and she remains a visual and aural genius. Not to mention yet another great Jonny Greenwood score. A fascinating depiction of a broken psyche, a genuinely suspenseful thriller of vengeance, and a portrait of two lost souls growing a connection through shared trauma. This one stuns, simultaneously quiet and explosive.
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Annihilation

(Dir. Alex Garland)

★★★½

It's refreshing when a big studio like Paramount releases a film like Annihilation in wide release. Even if the studio didn't seem to have much faith in it, considering the month it came out, and the fact that outside the US it went straight to Netflix. Which is a shame, as this is a film that demands to be seen on the biggest screen possible, with the loudest sound. As pure entertainment, Annihilation holds up with repeat viewings, it offers up genuine thrills and excitement, sometimes it's flat out terrifying. Like The Shimmer itself, the film is both beautiful and nightmarish. I must applaud the production crew, their set design and visual effects work is dazzling, creepy, unsettling, and bold. The mix of practical effects and cgi is pulled off seamlessly, and the attention to detail, especially within The Shimmer, is awards worthy. As Alex Garland's second directorial effort, Annihilation makes good on the promise shown in Ex Machina, and does one better. There are two sequences within, one involving a mutant bear from your worst nightmares, and one taking place inside a lighthouse, that stand near the top of list of best cinematic experiences of the year. The original score by Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow is tremendous, and works as a character in itself. Some have criticized the film for its thinly written side-characters, and I can understand that, but it doesn't hurt the impact of the film thanks to the cast. This is very much Nina's journey, and Natalie Portman is our anchor throughout. Of course, Portman is great here. The supporting cast of characters aren't given nearly as much to work with, but actresses playing them bring enough to their performances and characters that we still care about them. Gina Rodriguez, in particular, is the standout, as her character's arc leads to one of the best set-pieces of the film, and she owns every moment of it. I'd venture to say Annihilation is a new classic of the scifi/action/horror genre, it works on so many levels, and Garland has such a control of the storytelling that it never becomes hard to follow, but leaves plenty to process and digest. Most of all, it's just downright exhilarating and riveting, a genre film driven by fresh ideas, sights, and sounds, that doesn't spoon feed the audience or treat them like idiots. It's a lot more intelligent than what we usually get these days (at least when it comes to mainstream genre pictures), and finds that middle ground where both casual film goers and those of us slightly more obsessed with the art of filmmaking can both leave the experience satisfied.

Hereditary
(Dir. Ari Aster)

★★★½

There are four things you can expect with any A24 distributed horror/thriller. 1) It's going to be a slow burn. 2) it's going to divide audiences 3) It's going to be unconventional 4) It's not going to be boring. Hereditary continues this pattern, and I couldn't be more pleased. The film is both a lacerating portrait of a family deteriorating, as well as a genuinely creepy and disturbing horror film. First time writer/director Ari Astor is masterful in his execution. Understanding the true horror that can stem from mental illness, trauma, guilt, cruel twists of fate, and despair, rather than rely on gratuitous violence and jumps cares. Though when it does decide to draw some blood, it does it sparingly but more effectively. Which may be one of the reasons the film is so polarizing. Unlike, say, The Conjuring series, where audiences can shut off their brain, jump out of their seats, and then giggle and move on, Hereditary is confrontational and uncompromisingly bleak. Leaving the viewer with plenty to digest once its over. Which is something most casual movie goers usually don't want to experience. But I digress. Toni Collette gives her crowning achievement as an actress here, the best work she's ever done. Whether you love the film or not, Collette's tightly wound performance is impossible to forget. This is my favorite performance by an actress this year, and if she doesn't at least snag an Oscar nomination next year, I'll riot. Also worthy of acknowledgement is Alex Wolf, who is every bit as great as Collette. To go into why his performance is incredible would potentially spoil things, but he's outstanding. From the editing to the cinematography and the set design, Aster proves himself again and again to be a born filmmaker. The only conflict with this film is the last 20 minutes or so. While these final sequences are still effective and tense, there's a slight feeling of a missed opportunity. Perhaps it's because the build up and mystery is so flawlessly executed and unconventional, that when the film starts falling into standard horror tropes it doesn't quite gel with everything that came before it, even if it's no less absurdly entertaining and disorienting. But this is a minor nitpick, because Hereditary is still horrific in a way that is hard to shake, and will remain in your mind hours, perhaps days, after watching it. On a psychological level, however, the film unsettles and torments. The oppressive atmosphere and dread takes it time to weigh down on the viewer, it's almost suffocating. Hereditary is unshakable and unforgettable, a monumental achievement for the genre, and an uncommonly impressive debut. Let's hope this isn't a fluke.

★★★

Whether or not Sicario needed a sequel in the first place is debatable. If you can refrain from comparing this to Dennis Villeneuve's masterpiece, which would be damn near impossible to match, Sicario 2 is a hugely satisfying follow up in its own right. Genuinely suspenseful, exhilarating, sometimes shocking, and intense. Plus Benicio Del Toro is just fantastic in this role.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Add the following to my honorable mentions.

★★★

★★★

If you care to take the time, would you expound on how you got to a 3 star rating for these two movies?

Welllll. I shot myself in the foot with this one guys/gals, because I've since seen several films I'd put in my top ten, which ****s up my entire ranking issue. So from here on out I'll just be posting mini, poorly written, reviews, and at the end of the year I'll finally rank them. Sorry for the mess. But I'm a mess myself, so it's not surprising. Love to all who have been following this.

If you care to take the time, would you expound on how you got to a 3 star rating for these two movies?
Yes. I will get to these. As Mandy has grown on me since I've seen it to the point I'd give it a higher rating, and A Simple Favor has done the opposite.

“I was cured, all right!”
2018 so far...
Edited: 19/11/2018

Burning ★★★★
First Reformed ★★★★
The Night Comes for Us ★★★★
The Outsider ★★★★
Leave no Trace ★★★★
Mission: Impossible — Fallout ★★★★
You Were Never Really Here ★★★★
Apostle ★★★
Destination Wedding ★★★
1987: When the Day Comes ★★★
A Prayer Before Dawn ★★★
Sharp Objects ★★★
Bohemian Rhapsody ★★★
Hereditary ★★★
Mandy ★★
A Quiet Place ★★
The Predator ★★
Upgrade ★★
Annihilation ★★
Halloween ★★
All the Money in the World ★★
Red Sparrow ★
Siberia ★
The Nun ★
Avengers: Infinity War ★

Welcome to the human race...
The Outsider ★★★★
The Jared Leto yakuza movie? If so, an intriguing rating - I was under the impression it wasn't good.

Also, are we going to start a separate thread where everyone can discuss this year's best and worst or just keep hijacking lostonmulholland's thread?

For.me:
First reformed
Mission impossible fallout
The 12th man
Annihilation
As best films
Worst films:
The nun

Apologies for my lack of activity, life can really change in a second.

I plan on cleaning this up soon, as I've seen quite a lot since I last posted. Planning on doing some more write ups, but here's some star ratings of recent viewings.

★★★★
First Reformed
Lean On Pete

★★★½
Suspiria
The Clovehitch Killer
A Star is Born
Searching
Custody
Maniac (Netflix Series)
The Rider
American Vandal: Season 2

★★★
Eighth Grade
The Night Comes For Us
Sorry To Bother You
Cam
Widow
Halloween

★★1/2
Assassination Nation
American Horror Story: Apocalypse
It's Always Sunny...

★★
Apostle
Channel Zero: The Dream Door (TV)
Hell Fest
Unfriended: Dark Web
Overlord

★1/2
Bad Times at the El Royale
Bad Samaritan
The Nun

Don't Leave Home
Hold The Dark

ZERO
Death of a Nation (Documentary)

“I was cured, all right!”
The Jared Leto yakuza movie? If so, an intriguing rating - I was under the impression it wasn't good.
Yeah, it's a very good tribute to the Yakuza Ninkyo Eiga films of the 60's.

I wrote a review (in Portuguese) on my old site:
https://orienteextremo.art.blog/2018...-anos-70-e-80/
Maybe a translator will be good if you want to know my thoughts.