Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
And a friendly advice for anybody who enjoyed Mandy and haven't seen Cosmatos' previous film Beyond the Black Rainbow: Don't wait. Go and see it!
Friendly advice #2 - Don't expect too much.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Friendly advice #2 - Don't expect too much.
...if you're from Mainstream Mafia.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Yes! I was afraid you were going to say you shut it off. Certain Women was one of my favorites from that year. I wish it would have made the Directed by Women countdown, but doesn't look like it has a chance now.
Looks like I’ve seen & enjoyed almost all of Kelly Reichardt’s movies. This may be the best I’ve seen.

Funny how if I like a movie I almost always like it from the 1st minute, which I did with this one.

Looks like I’ve seen & enjoyed almost all of Kelly Reichardt’s movies. This may be the best I’ve seen.

Funny how if I like a movie I almost always like it from the 1st minute, which I did with this one.
I've seen all of Reichardt's movies and liked them all, some more than others of course. So what have you seen and in what order would you rank them?

I've seen all of Reichardt's movies and liked them all, some more than others of course. So what have you seen and in what order would you rank them?
I never rank movies in order. Too lazy. Like I said, this is the best so far IMO.

Meant to ask you before. Did you post you couldn’t/didn’t finish The Florida Project? Was that you?

I never rank movies in order. Too lazy. Like I said, this is the best so far IMO.

Meant to ask you before. Did you post you couldn’t/didn’t finish The Florida Project? Was that you?
That was me. Not saying it's a bad movie, in fact it might be perfect at doing what it wanted to do. It just wasn't what I was interested in watching.

Rewatched the original Predator last night.

This movie never gets old. One of the best sci-fi action flicks ever made.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Rewatched of the original Predator last night.

This movie never gets old. One of the best sci-fi action flicks ever made.

Someone mentioned Predator during a pod for press about the Predator. The person said the visuals for Predator have aged horribly. I am a super fan, but all of Predator looks better than anything I've seen in a trailer for the Predator.

Bride Of Frankenstein aka The Bride Of Frankenstein (James Whale, 1935)

A poorly managed monsterosity

Someone mentioned Predator during a pod for press about the Predator. The person said the visuals for Predator have aged horribly. I am a super fan, but all of Predator looks better than anything I've seen in a trailer for the Predator.
I agree – he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Dated visuals or not, the original Predator still retains that irresistible nostalgic factor that makes it so infinitely rewatchable for me. Aside from the great cast, it has a palpable charisma and aura to it - a certain endearing naïveté in the way it visualizes the mystery of extreterrestrial powers, and the mythology of Arnie's iconic character. You can have the most incredible technology at your disposal but if you don't know how to use it properly and endow your film with a "soul" or magic of its own, even the best visuals won't save it.

Btw, I haven't seen the new Predator yet, and the reviews aren't that encouraging tbh.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
The cloaking effect is something that I enjoy immensely every time I see it.

There is one weak part in the original and it basically boils down to McTiernan having nothing to do with. It never really clicked till someone else pointed it out to me, but I always felt like I was watching an episode of the A-Team...well, besides the people getting hit by bullets part .

Welcome to the human race...
^I take it you're referring to Rossatron's video on the movie? I saw it posted on here in a different thread and that's where I saw it, how about you?

As for dated visuals, the only example I can really think of is how the very first shot of the cloaked Predator looks a little janky compared to the others - otherwise, it holds up surprisingly well by using the composited effects sparingly (few such cloak shots, only a handful of laser blasts) and, as always, focusing on the practical more than anything else. In regards to how it compares to The Predator, yeah, there's quite a bit of CGI in the latter and I'm hard-pressed to say that the quality is anything more than average (though its practical effects seem decent enough anyway).

Last movie watched...

Mandy -

Oh, dang.

I don't know how long this will last but its nice on Letterboxd, you can go by year and see all movies they have listed. I am watching the ones from the 1800's. I have several already completed (yes they are under 2 minutes each but they are still films). For being early cinema, I do find these amazing... so all ratings are 4/5.

Sallie Gardner at a Gallop
(1878)

Passage of Venus
(1874)

Traffic Crossing Leeds Bridge
(1888)

Man Walking Around a Corner
(1887)

Accordion Player
(1888)

@MovieGal recs:
Duel au pistolet (1896)
Luttes extravagantes (1899)
Thanks but I haven't gotten that far yet... still in the 1880s

Watched

Human Figure in Motion
(1884)

Buffalo Running
(1883)
I figured this way.. if I try by each year.. there may be films I would have never watched.. but hey .. I got the rest of my life to finish this

Ostrich Walking

(1887)

Descending Stairs and Turning Around
(1887)

Pferd und Reiter Springen Über ein Hindernis
(1888)

Leisurely Pedestrians, Open Topped Buses and Hansom Cabs with Trotting Horses
(1889)

Athlete Swinging a Pick
(1881)

Hyde Park Corner
(1889)

TEA WITH THE DAMES (2018) – alternatively: NOTHING LIKE A DAME

Four of the premier actresses of British stage and screen, who have also received Damehood (Dame being the feminine form of Knighthood) --Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Eileen Atkins, and Joan Plowright-- have a delightful reminiscent/gossip session, filmed at Plowright’s and Laurence Olivier’s estate in Sussex.

Even with today’s capacity for instant intrusion into celebrity’s lives, it still is refreshing to hear earnest and candid telling of anectdotes by four of the leading ladies of British acting. Their frank insights into some of the roles they’ve played and of the feelings they had both at the time and upon reflection make viewing this documentary most enjoyable.

From Judi Dench’s comment regarding her offer to play Cleopatra: “Do you really want a menopausal dwarf?”, to Maggi Smith’s devilish and sarcastic comments, we are treated to 84 minutes of fascinating commentary.

I’d like to hear about the offers and ultimate selection process in choosing the ultimate stars of this film. There are several others who would have qualified, so it must have been an interesting casting project.

Doc’s rating: 9/10 actresses; 7/10 production.

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }