The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
It's just a question of whether or not anyone would actually treat it as a challenge to score 100% on like all the other lists because I thought that was a major factor in why the lists section was developed in the first place.

I hope it's added personally. There's some films i'm not looking forward to seeing but them being on a list is an extra push and who know's i may be surprised. Already seen 67 unless the top six i posted isn't the final six anyway and there's a fair amount i do want to see.

Just checked on the Letterboxd list and of the 33 i haven't seen, i want to see 13, 6 or 7 i have no interest in and the others i don't have either inclination. That's better than i thought, probably because i already saw a fair amount of the films i don't think look good when i was a kid.

I just discovered that I'm a shameful chauvinist pig. I'll only have seen 19 films from this whole list. I think I made the right decision not to send in a list, as I've seen way too little films by female directors.

I'm happy that this list will at least give me some more reason to seek out their films. MoFo lists are always a good stimulation.

By all means. I certainly feel like I should make the effort to watch them all, even the ones that don't look particularly appealing like What Women Want. Part of me wonders if I should actually post a full list of everything that didn't qualify for the main list so you can see what kind of generally acclaimed films missed the cut on account of a lack of votes.

Is this going in the official list area? I thought it was going to end up like the action one.
I'd be happy to put it there, particularly if nobody objects.
I'm replying to both quotes at the same time:

I always thought the Directed By Women Countdown was going into the official list area...The Action Countdown was done under different circumstances, the main one being Omni decided on his own to do an Action Countdown, the MoFo community didn't have input into that decision.

Where as the Directed By Women Countdown was discussed by all interested MoFos in a thread, and as a group we decided the theme of what the next Countdown would be. We also did a HoF to support the Countdown...and there was ample time for MoFos to watch films directed by women and submit list. I really hope it's included in the official list, I'd be bummed if it wasn't.

There was also very little direction in the Action Countdown, anyone could vote for anything and it resulted in films that were arguably not action being included. Iro made decisions regarding Trans directors and male co-directors here. Another reason is this is the only chance for a significant amount of these films to make a list here, plenty of the action ones were already on lists and they have better chances than most in this one in the future.

It's just a question of whether or not anyone would actually treat it as a challenge to score 100% on like all the other lists because I thought that was a major factor in why the lists section was developed in the first place.
I personally don't treat the official MoFo list as a challenge to watch all 100% of the films. I'll never watch all the Comic Book, Animated, or Horror films on those list. But I do use it as a reference guide and as a movie watching idea, and of course as soon as I watch a film on the list I check it off. The list are one of the cool features here.

Good call. I couldn't immediately be bothered to go refresh my memory on the other ways that particular list deviated from community norms, but yeah, that "do it without the community discussing it much first" part is arguably the single-most important factor. And whatever the issues with criteria this time around, they were at least discussed and debated ahead of time.

Anyway, I've assumed I'd be adding it pretty much the whole time, too. I think, at most, I just sort of reserve the right not to add things if there's a major issue, or a shockingly small number of submissions, or something. Beyond that, if the community talks it out and comes to a decision and it follows the same broad parameters as the others, I'm happy to add it.

None of this is a criticism of the Action list, BTW. I like that there are different ways of doing this, and I think Omni actually did a very good job with it. I'm all for people having more freewheeling lists from time to time.

None of this is a criticism of the Action list, BTW. I like that there are different ways of doing this, and I think Omni actually did a very good job with it. I'm all for people having more freewheeling lists from time to time.
Yeah just want to co-sign this. I was the member most adamantly against it (only because it wasn't a community decision) but i contributed and Omni did a great job.

Really enjoyed Lady Bird. I look forward to whatever Gerwig does next. Ronan has become a favorite as well. This made my list, even if, significantly lower than 7.

I had 3 teenage girl coming of age type movies back to back to back, and Lady Bird was one of them. I liked all of them about the same.

1. Boys Don't Cry (#11)
2. Strange Days (#9)
3. Near Dark (#8)
4. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (#14)
5. Mikey and Nicky (#39)
6. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (#59)
7. The Virgin Suicides (#29)
9. Bound (#90)
10. Zero Dark Thirty (#10)
11. American Honey (#23)
13. Detroit (#40)
14. Nothing Bad Can Happen (#51)
15. Harlan County U.S.A. (#71)
16. The Heartbreak Kid (#45)
17. The Edge of Seventeen (#98)
18. Fish Tank (#12)
19. Lady Bird (#7)
21. Sleepless in Seattle (#15)
24. Deep Impact (#87)
25. Private Parts (#96)

My #s 8 and 12 still to come.

As far as if this should be one of the official lists, it's the same as how I feel about gay marriage. It may not be for me, but if it makes people happy, let it be.

I had 3 teenage girl coming of age type movies back to back to back, and Lady Bird was one of them. I liked all of them about the same.

I awkwardly cobbled your posts together to respond, "back to back to back" kills me so much that i need to leave the whole thing in.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think Lady Bird is certainly likable and relatable with realistic characters and situations. It reminded me of many older such films but with a more up-to-date and female perspective. I recommend it but didn't list it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have not seen Ladybird but I am inclined to believe it may be one that I'd enjoy.

Watched: 29/93
#1 A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
#2 Titus
#3 The Matrix
#4 Voices
#5 Strange Days
#6 Ravenous
#7 If it hasn't it won't, but hey, it is, kind of, a musical, so. . .
#8 Morvern Callar
#9 It might, maybe
#10 The Ascent
#11 Chocolat
#12 Little Women
#13 Orlando
#14 Don't see too many folks voting on this, but still, wonderful film
#15 It won't. Oh well

#16 The Dressmaker
#17 Tank Girl
#18 A League of Their Own
#19 A comedy that might yet pop up. A Dark Horse call, if you will
#20 Don't see it happening
#21 Another wonderful flick that won't make it

#22 The Hitch-hiker
#23 Annnd, that's right, more Penny Marshall love - thank you
#24 Still possible
#25 Hope and a prayer for this one
[/quote]

Trying to walk a tricky line here between not adding just anything, but also not formalizing too much, since the community-run aspect is important. Open to feedback on this balance, BTW.
With all the work that went into this and by the very aspect of it which would add to the other lists, I would agree to have it added to The Lists.

By all means. I certainly feel like I should make the effort to watch them all, even the ones that don't look particularly appealing like What Women Want. Part of me wonders if I should actually post a full list of everything that didn't qualify for the main list so you can see what kind of generally acclaimed films missed the cut on account of a lack of votes.
I'd very curious to see that list. I like to find those films that so few know about that really deserve to be seen. A huge chunk of films I've come across is BECAUSE of being a member here. So, yeah, please post that list.

And while I've said it before, thank you Iro for all the headache and bullsh#t of running one of these. They are difficult as all hell to run, from what I've heard and have seen from the outside, so. . . f@ckin appreciate ya!!

Once more unto the breach, dear friends:

#73 Children of a Lesser God Randa Haines
#72 Clueless Amy Heckerling
#66 Thirteen Catherine Hardwicke
#62 Something's Gotta Give Nancy Meyers
#47 Real Genius Martha Coolidge
#45 The Heartbreak Kid Elaine May
#34 Wayne's World Penelope Spheeris
#22 Monster Patty Jenkins
#21 The Piano Jane Campion
#16 The Babadook Jennifer Kent
#17 Sleepless in Seattle Nora Ephron
#13 Awakenings Penny Marshall
#10 Zero Dark Thirty Kathryn Bigelow
# 8 Near Dark Kathryn Bigelow

#6.
The Hurt Locker

(dir. Kathryn Bigelow, 2009)

2 x 3rd, 1 x 6th, 1 x 7th, 1 x 8th, 2 x 9th, 1 x 11th, 3 x 12th, 2 x 17th, 1 x 9th, 2 x 23rd
=
225 points

The Hurt Locker is terrific even if it has too much sunshine for my liking. As highly as I thought of it, I only watched it once and it didn't stay with me. It was one of my last cuts.