The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I didn't even consider counting partial lists differently.

Anyway, Near Dark was my #4. Made my last Top 100 a few years back, though I get the impression it might not now. A boring choice for this list, perhaps, and it's never quite managed to feel like an all-time classic to me, but as it is it's pulpy '80s fun.

I'm as surprised by this as anyone else. I thought I went through each list and added every title I found to the spreadsheet (and there were almost 300 titles by the end), yet somehow I happen to have skipped over this one twice? Part of me wonders if the cell got overwritten or deleted somehow during the tallying - and of course the question of whether or not this happened to any other titles...

So, should I just go back and re-edit the list to include it? I think it would end up being #92 (just below Julie and Julia and Bound, both of which also had 35 points but which would win a tiebreaker anyway). Sounds like I have to at this rate.
I remember a couple other Countdowns had little mistakes and the host had to go back and correct it, so stuff happens and it's no big deal. I would think the easiest thing to do is to just edit your master list of the movies post.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post1930002

I'm pretty sure that master list post is where Yoda takes a countdown list from to add it into MoFo's data base. So it should be an easy fix

Duly noted. I may still edit the individual posts because it'd bother me otherwise, but I'll definitely edit the master list once it's all over.

Duly noted. I may still edit the individual posts because it'd bother me otherwise, but I'll definitely edit the master list once it's all over.
So it's in 92nd place and Now and Then is removed? Just checking to keep the Letterboxd list up to date.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had Near Dark at my #23. It's a modern updating of the traditional vampire saga where a young cowboy (Adrian Pasdar) is turned by a pretty young thing (Jenny Wright) into joining her "family" traveling throughout the American Southwest in an RV. Bigelow gets to show off plenty of style and the vampire lore is tweaked enough to keep the viewer off-guard and on their toes. The "family" is gloriously played by veterans from Aliens (Bill Paxton, Lance Hendrickson and Jenette Goldstein) and young Joshua Miller, while the cowboy's Dad (Tim Thomerson) and young sister (Marcie Leeds) search for the missing teenager.
[
Seen 93/93
My List
2. Olympia (41)
3. Olivier, Olivier (76)
4. Wonder Woman (17)
5. The Piano (21)
7. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (14)
8. 13th (51)
9. The Matrix (20)
10. Boys Don't Cry (11)
11. A New Leaf (67)
12. Europa Europa (24)
13. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (38)
16. Awakenings (13)
17. The Heartbreak Kid (45)
19. Sleepless in Seattle (15)
20. Frida (49)
21. Harlan County, USA (71)
22. Bound (90)
23. Near Daek (8)
24. A League of Their Own (19)
25. Detroit (40)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
So it's in 92nd place and Now and Then is removed? Just checking to keep the Letterboxd list up to date.
Or perhaps we should disqualify Chocolat after all...

Or perhaps we should disqualify Chocolat after all...
Yeah, that came to mind personally i hope it isn't removed. First of all, because it's a different case. Chocolat did get enough votes to make the list it was just a mistake, and it wasn't a mistake for another eligible film so those votes are completely discarded. Feel that's sort of covered in the can't change your list rule, and there's also precedent for it as Honeykid voted for Blackadder II in the TV Countdown when he meant Blackadder Goes Fourth, it wasn't removed. It's also for selfish reasons as more Claire Denis films on the lists is a plus for me especially ones i haven't seen.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It's also for selfish reasons as more Claire Denis films on the lists is a plus for me especially ones i haven't seen.
Ah, but I want Now and Then to stay in for selfish reasons too

Ah, but I want Now and Then to stay in for selfish reasons too
Me too! Think you're forgetting my post about how much i loved it as a kid

Seriously though, i do think the situations with Chocolat and Away From Her are different and there's precedent to keep Chocolat in. Whatever Iro decides is cool, just means i've seen one more of the final list.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Near Dark fell short of my list but always got a kick out of this vampire flick and used to watch the hell out of it back in the day.

Watched: 29/93
#1 A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
#2 Titus
#3 The Matrix
#4 Voices
#5 Strange Days
#6 Ravenous
#7 If it hasn't it won't, but hey, it is, kind of, a musical, so. . .
#8 Morvern Callar
#9 It might, maybe
#10 The Ascent
#11 Chocolat
#12 Little Women
#13 Orlando
#14 Don't see too many folks voting on this, but still, wonderful film
#15 It won't. Oh well

#16 The Dressmaker
#17 Tank Girl
#18 A League of Their Own
#19 A comedy that might yet pop up. A Dark Horse call, if you will
#20 Don't see it happening
#21 Another wonderful flick that won't make it

#22 The Hitch-hiker
#23 Annnd, that's right, more Penny Marshall love - thank you
#24 Still possible
#25 Hope and a prayer for this one

#7.
Lady Bird

(dir. Greta Gerwig, 2017)

2 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd, 2 x 5th, 2 x 6th, 1 x 10th, 1 x 11th, 1 x 15th, 1 x 16th, 1 x 19th, 1 x 24th
=
214 points

Lady Bird was my #24. Not sure if it will hold up but i liked it quite a lot when i saw it. One more of mine will make it.

Seen: 61/94
My List: 20/25

01. Ratcatcher
03. Vagabond
06. A New Leaf
08. Le Bonheur
09. Morvern Callar
10. Paris Is Burning
11. The Ascent
12. The Heartbreak Kid
13. American Honey
14. Marie Antoinette
15. Night Moves
16. Strange Days
17. Cleo From 5 To 7
19. Pariah
20. Red Road
21. Mustang
22. Wendy and Lucy
23. 13TH
24. Lady Bird
25. Je, Tu, Il, Elle

Also a guess at the order of the top six:

01. Lost In Translation
02. American Psycho
03. Big
04. The Hurt Locker
05. Point Break
06. We Need To Talk About Kevin

I remember a couple other Countdowns had little mistakes and the host had to go back and correct it, so stuff happens and it's no big deal. I would think the easiest thing to do is to just edit your master list of the movies post.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post1930002

I'm pretty sure that master list post is where Yoda takes a countdown list from to add it into MoFo's data base. So it should be an easy fix

What CR said, yeah. Get in touch when the list is finished with the "final" correct version and that's what I'll put in the Lists area. NBD.

I'd be happy to put it there, particularly if nobody objects.

The Action list was a lot of fun (and I think we should occasionally do fun, niche-y, "unofficial" lists like that) but if I recall, it had a very short window for submissions to go with a few other deviations from the usual process. A little more art than science, I'll grant, but that was my thinking at the time.

Trying to walk a tricky line here between not adding just anything, but also not formalizing too much, since the community-run aspect is important. Open to feedback on this balance, BTW.