1930s Hall of Fame Part 2

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
no worries about your reviews not being "in depth", @MijaFrost, they spoke how you feel, and in the end that's what truly matters.

I agree about wanting the husband to eventually find out as well in Red Dust. And yes, Harlowe is VERY sexy in this. There's been some amazing photos just for this movie alone for her and yes, VERY sad that she died young. I REALLY need to see her in Hell's Angels before making my list for the 30s Countdown.

And I like your thought on Mad Love being a "cautionary tale"

...I agree about wanting the husband to eventually find out as well in Red Dust. And yes, Harlowe is VERY sexy in this. There's been some amazing photos just for this movie alone for her and yes, VERY sad that she died young. I REALLY need to see her in Hell's Angels before making my list for the 30s Countdown.
You do need to see Hell's Angels Harlowe had real star quality and shines in most of her movies. I wish we could have done a third 30s Hof, I think it would have helped more films get exposure.

You do need to see Hell's Angels Harlowe had real star quality and shines in most of her movies. I wish we could have done a third 30s Hof, I think it would have helped more films get exposure.
I completely agree. SO many films that are rarely known from that decade.

Just a quick notice for us slackers, the tentative deadline is on the 20th, which is, technically, about five days since this day is one hour from being over.
Do either of you ladies, @MijaFrost or @Pussy Galore need a little more time?
I have one left, Mija has 2 and PG has 4 left to watch along with 2 others to review. Now I know PG is excellent at doing last minute binge-watching, but, like I said, If anyone needs an extension, by all means, let me know and we'll adjust it.

EDIT:: my apologies to PG whom I have always assumed was a woman with a HELLUVA great name!
SORRY

and thank you CR for the heads up

Weird is relative.
Thanks for asking, Ed. One I haven't reviewed is my nom which I'd already seen, then the other is one I need to re-watch, which I have on hand.
It shouldn't be a problem to have it viewed by the 20th, but if anyone else needs an extension I'm fine with that.

In response to above posts - Why couldn't we have a third 30s HOF? Just wondering.

In response to above posts - Why couldn't we have a third 30s HOF? Just wondering.
We could eventually and I'd be up for it. CR just means that he would have loved to have another HoF before the countdown starts which would not be possible as it's two weeks from now.

We could eventually and I'd be up for it. CR just means that he would have loved to have another HoF before the countdown starts which would not be possible as it's two weeks from now.
Yeah, that's what I meant. It's my own fault too, I should have started the 1st 30s HoF much sooner and then there might have been time. Oh well next Countdown that MoFo does maybe we can get in 2 or 3 themed Hofs to help support it.

BTW I hope all of you will be sending me a list for the:The MoFo Top 100 Movies of the 1930s Countdown Link for rules

Yup, I have Dr Jekyll and Mad Love ready to watch at home and someone sent me a link for Red Dust so I'll be able to watch those in the next 5 days.

Btw, I'm a man lol

Yup, I have Dr Jekyll and Mad Love ready to watch at home and someone sent me a link for Red Dust so I'll be able to watch those in the next 5 days.

Btw, I'm a man lol
I had always thought you were a woman, simply because of the name, and, of course, thought wrong

Weird is relative.
It Happened One Night

This is a charming and fun little story. It was my second viewing after some years, and like the first time I watched it, I thought it was slight but likable. I did have an issue with how disrespectfully Clark Gable's character treats Ellie. He calls her "brat" and constantly orders her around. I guess she liked his rather domineering attitude, though. I just hope he wouldn't become genuinely abusive later on (offscreen, if the story were to continue)...

The Goddess

I had nominated this film because I was so moved by this tale of a woman who is willing to do anything for her child. I don't condone street prostitution, and I'm sure she had other ways to make money, but regardless, it's touching to see how much she cares for him and how he is her whole world, even as she is essentially kidnapped by a brutal pimp who steals her earnings.
It was very saddening when she realizes that her son is being ostracized because of who she is, when all she wants is for him to have a good life so he can escape the kind of hardship she has faced.
She deserved more from life than what she received, but at least she was able to instill some hope in her child.

Coming up to the deadline now and I'm curious to see how the results turn out. It was a challenge to rank these and I haven't a clue where anything will finish.

Made for a good HoF.

Coming up to the deadline now and I'm curious to see how the results turn out. It was a challenge to rank these and I haven't a clue where anything will finish.

Made for a good HoF.
these past few HoFs have been incredibly hard to make a voting list on and this appears to be no exception to it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
these past few HoFs have been incredibly hard to make a voting list on and this appears to be no exception to it.
I agree. Much harder than it used to be. The Russian HOF is seemingly easy so far though.

Humanity and Paper Balloons

The title of this film is a very poetic expression of what was to be experienced. Though I must say there was more humor than I had expected and thought there would be a more precarious, albeit trauma-filled movie. Instead, there was a very good balance of, for the lack of a better word: humanity to this film. Expressed in the various tenants and spreading out to the landlord and the samurai "boss".

Even though there was a short run time to this, it still went along quite quickly, saying a lot of the entertainment and how well it kept me intrigued as well as involved in the various characters and everything that occurred.

It did have a very nice return to the start with death playing a factor in both the beginning and the completion of the film. Tying in the Humanity of it with all the life that transpires between the two.

This is quite the hidden gem. Thank you pahaK for sharing it.

Update
I'll watch Dr Jekyll today

Mad Love: It was short, but effective. The plot is sometimes far fetched, particularly the fact that it's the hands and not the brain who is murderous haha. Still I was entertained, Peter Lorre has a particular presence that most actors don't have which makes it pleasant to watch him. Nothing special about the characters, but a well thought genre film.

Roaring Twenties: That I enjoyed very much. Particularly the beggining where they explain that the 20's will probably be a forgotten period in history because there's a crazy german who seems powerfull now and that it's just after WW1. The way it was made/edited was very effective and it almost seemed like an historical source of hos americans saw their own history in 1939. The story itself was alright, I'm not sure I liked the sudden change of personnality in James Cagney it seemed a little sudden, but I see what the films is trying to say, that the hard difficult situation made an honest military man a hardened criminal.

Red Dust: It seemed to me like a melodrama, I like Mary Astor very much, I find her attractive and pleasant to watch, but it wasn't really enough to make me enjoy the film. I have a hard time to understand the motivations of the characters in those kind of film where there is a love triangle and the characters hesitate between who to love, etc. Also, I thought the dning was very over dramatic which made it even harder for me to understand the characters motivations.

Ed do you know when the reveal results will be done?
Once I get PG's vote in, I'll calculate and set up an evening to post them.
If he sends it tonight, then tomorrow night.
I'll put up a mention to all and a rough time to do it.Though it is a safe bet that it will be in the evening.

@Siddon, @cricket, @Citizen Rules, @MijaFrost @Pussy Galore, @Nathaniel, @Thursday Next, @pahaK, @Chypmunk, @rauldc14

The Votes are In!!
The Reveal is ready!!

This is a bit last minute, which I apologize for, power was out due to heavy winds in my area for a chunk of the day, BUT, if everyone is geared to, we can do this, this evening.
I'm thinking around 8 pm Eastern Time, if that's a go.

I'll be adding the number of positions for each reveal along with the number of points and the position they were at with each group of 3, and then the final amount with the final 2 Lists.
So that's the first set of three, the second group of three, the third set and final points and positions all lumped into each reveal.
Just a fun bit of trivia to add to them.