Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi

Tools    

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
That’s interesting news, didn’t know that but also an anomaly. The things great. I’m very confident no one will be hailing this film in decades to come. I’d even wager that you’ll dismiss it as average once your agenda changes and/or when there’s no one left to argue.

A system of cells interlinked
But I didn't like it!

Welcome to the human race...
That’s interesting news, didn’t know that but also an anomaly. The things great. I’m very confident no one will be hailing this film in decades to come. I’d even wager that you’ll dismiss it as average once your agenda changes and/or there’s no one left to argue.
Same goes for Blade Runner. It's not as anomalous as you think, and again I cite the uncertainty of even trying to guess at how people will treat it in the future. Also, you do realise that for there to be no one left to argue they either have to agree with me or at the very least shut up about it, so if you want that to happen then you'd better hurry up and start liking this movie (or stop arguing).

A system of cells interlinked
TLJ.

The Thing rocks.

Anyway, I gave TLJ another shot, but I just don't ave fun watching it, and it annoys me pretty much all the way through. I did get a chance to finally see Solo, and I agree with Iro in that it suffers from some of the same problems people cite in TLJ. I did like it more than TLJ, but not a lot more.

That’s interesting news, didn’t know that but also an anomaly. The things great. I’m very confident no one will be hailing this film in decades to come. I’d even wager that you’ll dismiss it as average once your agenda changes and/or there’s no one left to argue.
Same goes for Blade Runner. It's not as anomalous as you think, and again I cite the uncertainty of even trying to guess at how people will treat it in the future. Also, you do realise that for there to be no one left to argue they either have to agree with me or at the very least shut up about it, so if you want that to happen then you'd better hurry up and start liking this movie.
No one can know what this will be in the future you’re factually correct...but we can wager. In 10 years if this is regarded as a sci fi classic...maybe you guys can think of a punishment for me although that would be punishment enough.

TLJ.

The Thing rocks.

Anyway, I gave TLJ another shot, but I just don't ave fun watching it, and it annoys me pretty much all the way through. I did get a chance to finally see Solo, and I agree with Iro in that it suffers from some of the same problems people cite in TLJ. I did like it more than TLJ, but not a lot more.
Glad to hear you like the thing. Not really keen on seeing Solo maybe one day.

Wouldn’t it be funny if I got one, decided to give TLJ another go, strapped in, felt the immersion like never before and ended up hating it even more. That would be your fault.

Whatever, if this this thread and others like it are any indication you'd probably second-guess my recommendations anyway.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
As always, time will tell. The Thing flopped hard with 1982's critics and audiences only to later be hailed as one of the greatest horror movies ever made, so you never know what'll stand the test of time or not.
Manhunter too was an odd one, considered a great film today.

TLJ is however not Manhunter, The Thing or Empire, and frankly over time will likely be considered worse than it is at the moment.

You know there are more examples than Marvel of consistent box office, Harry Potter for example, Dark Knight. I think a trend will show that where a film series sequels sit well with the audience and are well received the box office is quite steady, rising even. Some series even dip then rise again when audiences like them better, Fast and Furious for example.
Exactly. There are lots of examples of all sorts of trajectories, so this really isn't some remarkable thing that proves some deep level of fan disgust. And that's the bar, remember? I don't dispute that the response has been mixed, and that that factors in. I'm disputing the idea that $1.5 billion is some shockingly low total that a) requires some special explanation and b) can be explained by an army of angry fans. Especially coming from someone who seems to have a confusing emotional stake in the idea that their anger is shared.

Pretty telling that you keep trying to use relative box office, too. That rigs the game, because The Force Awakens was a cultural event in a way the next film was never going to be (even if they didn't release another SW film in between, which they did). It set an impossibly high standard.

I find this quite astonishing tbh.
You're seriously just now learning that taste is subjective?

According to you there's no such thing as good or bad anything, or crap even
Nope. According to me there's no way to prove these things are good, objectively. This is a very simple distinction I've made twice now, and really shouldn't have to make at all. Do you genuinely not understand it, or are you pretending not to?

so what pop music are you talking about?
Literally any pop music that's successful, but which you think is crappy. Use any book or movie with the same criteria, even, and then kindly explain the seeming contradiction. The point is the same. This "profit = quality" standard clearly doesn't work at all, and was presumably tossed out just because it seemed momentarily useful.

Sure if you look solely at TLJ, say a $250m budget + maybe $200m marketing returns you $1.3B, + whatever you get from digital sales/DVD it looks like a fantastic success. However when you look at the previous instalment $2B, then the resulting fallout leading to a loss/breakeven for Solo (and whatever poor returns from 9) that success is questionable.
Kinda weird to pretend Solo is on TLJ, rather than it being a mediocre film, needing reshoots, suffering from increased and accumulated SW fatigue, and a ton of other things.

Cmon you know full well its dodgy, you haven't explained what could have caused it, all you can do is attack me for leaping to an obvious conclusion, if it's wet outside I'm going to jump to the conclusion that its been raining.
You're not listening, dude. Please read what I said again more carefully. I've bolded part of it to preclude yet another misunderstanding:
You've misunderstood. You said it was "very suspicious" immediately, meaning back when the film came out, based on nothing more than the fact that the scores were higher than you thought they should be.

If anything, Solo's relatively lacklustre performance obviously proves that you can't rely on white men to lead these movies anymore.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Exactly. There are lots of examples of all sorts of trajectories, so this really isn't some remarkable thing that proves some deep level of fan disgust. And that's the bar, remember? I don't dispute that the response has been mixed, and that that factors in. I'm disputing the idea that $1.5 billion is some shockingly low total that a) requires some special explanation and b) can be explained by an army of angry fans. Especially coming from someone who seems to have a confusing emotional stake in the idea that their anger is shared.

Pretty telling that you keep trying to use relative box office, too. That rigs the game, because The Force Awakens was a cultural event in a way the next film was never going to be (even if they didn't release another SW film in between, which they did). It set an impossibly high standard.
What will your excuse be when ep7 limps in with a fairly mediocre result? I'm guessing you will stand rigid on something like "$700m, that's a solid profit, this movie is a success".

You're seriously just now learning that taste is subjective?

Nope. According to me there's no way to prove these things are good, objectively. This is a very simple distinction I've made twice now, and really shouldn't have to make at all. Do you genuinely not understand it, or are you pretending not to?

Literally any pop music that's successful, but which you think is crappy. Use any book or movie with the same criteria, even, and then kindly explain the seeming contradiction. The point is the same. This "profit = quality" standard clearly doesn't work at all, and was presumably tossed out just because it seemed momentarily useful.
To quote Andy Dufresne, you are being obtuse.

By your standard anything can be debated by slick argument. Hitler was considered a "bad guy", but to some he was and still is the good guy but I guess that's the point you are making. The Japanese say "10 people 10 colours".

The music industry probably doesn't compare to the film industry too well, there's lots of fantastic music being made that gets little recognition or barely gets noticed whilst all the "crap"(I agree with you) gets pushed out and gets hundreds of millions of views because the target audience is teenage girls.

Kinda weird to pretend Solo is on TLJ, rather than it being a mediocre film, needing reshoots, suffering from increased and accumulated SW fatigue, and a ton of other things.
So basically you think TLJ fan backlash, and subsequent excuse making/name calling of fans has nothing to do with Solo doing badly?

I won't deny there are of course other factors at play, some of which you mention, but SW fatigue is a pathetic excuse. The biggest of all is probably the idea to do the film in the first place.

You're not listening, dude. Please read what I said again more carefully. I've bolded part of it to preclude yet another misunderstanding:
You've misunderstood. You said it was "very suspicious" immediately, meaning back when the film came out, based on nothing more than the fact that the scores were higher than you thought they should be.
What exactly did you think I said was very suspicious upon the films release? You've lost me. What higher scores, public or critic?

I thought we were discussing recent bogus RT reviews.