The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

So you did. For some reason I didn't include it in the spreadsheet so that explains why I thought it wasn't there. In any case, it sounds like you were the only one to vote for it so...yeah.
I had it on my list as well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Strange Days is Kathryn Bigelow's convoluted sci-fi mystery which certainly holds one's interest but never really crystallizes into something all that deep or meaningful. The film is watchable and has a good cast but ultimately comes across as a bit silly despite painting a vivid new world which unfortunately seems ridiculous in the end. I'll admit it would have been great if it continued more in the vein of the wow opening scene and ditched the more-obvious "mystery". It didn't make my list.

All it would take is 30 points for Away From Her to make the countdown.

Okay, when I was predicting the top ten I was deciding whether or not to have Away From Her or Strange Days show up. I did't want to see so much Bigelow there so I dropped Strange Days and guessed with Away From Her. Which tells me one thing...Away From Her did not make the list.
What number on your list was it?

I had it on my list as well.
Same question, what number on your list was it?

I find it difficult to believe that Holden didn't vote for Away from Her.
@Holden Pike

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
VERY happy to see Strange Days make the top ten. Always enjoyed this film. Some great actors with a solid story that touched on social issues at the time and never got preachy about. D@mn good movie!

Watched: 28/92
#1 A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
#2 Titus
#3 The Matrix
#4 Voices
#5 Strange Days
#6 Ravenous
#7 If it hasn't it won't, but hey, it is, kind of, a musical, so. . .
#8 Morvern Callar
#9 It might, maybe
#10 The Ascent
#11 Chocolat
#12 Little Women
#13 Orlando
#14 Don't see too many folks voting on this, but still, wonderful film
#15 It won't. Oh well

#16 The Dressmaker
#17 Tank Girl
#18 A League of Their Own
#19 A comedy that might yet pop up. A Dark Horse call, if you will
#20 Don't see it happening
#21 Another wonderful flick that won't make it

#22 The Hitch-hiker
#23 Annnd, that's right, more Penny Marshall love - thank you
#24 Still possible
#25 Hope and a prayer for this one

I had it as my #6.
I believe I had Away From Her at #11.
Two votes for Away From Her at #6 and #11 on your guys list, would equal 20 points & 15 points, for a total of 35 points. It should have made the countdown.

The 100th movie is Now and Then with only 29 points and the 99th movie is The Invitation with 30 points.

Two votes for Away From Her at #6 and #11 on your guys list, would equal 20 points & 15 points, for a total of 35 points. It should have made the countdown.

The 100th movie is Now and Then with only 29 points and the 99th movie is The Invitation with 30 points.
Did either of you send in partial list? If so it's possible the partial list were pro rated so that the movies didn't get as many points as a full list. One of the past Countdown host had discussed using a scoring like that, so maybe that's what happened.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm as surprised by this as anyone else. I thought I went through each list and added every title I found to the spreadsheet (and there were almost 300 titles by the end), yet somehow I happen to have skipped over this one twice? Part of me wonders if the cell got overwritten or deleted somehow during the tallying - and of course the question of whether or not this happened to any other titles...

So, should I just go back and re-edit the list to include it? I think it would end up being #92 (just below Julie and Julia and Bound, both of which also had 35 points but which would win a tiebreaker anyway). Sounds like I have to at this rate.

Welcome to the human race...
#8.
Near Dark

(dir. Kathryn Bigelow, 1987)

1 x 1st, 2 x 3rd, 2 x 4th, 2 x 9th, 1 x 14th, 2 x 15th, 1 x 16th, 1 x 19th, 1 x 20th, 1 x 23rd
=
209 points

Did either of you send in partial list? If so it's possible the partial list were pro rated so that the movies didn't get as many points as a full list. One of the past Countdown host had discussed using a scoring like that, so maybe that's what happened.
I sent a full list.