17th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I didn't know there was a Director's Cut. I'd like to see that.

I took a quick look at my DVD, and it appears to just be the regular edition. Disappointed, I looked for my room mate's copy as well. It's the exact same version I have. So I take a look on Netflix. It's on there, but based on the runtime it appears to be the theatrical cut as well.
The extended has a few extra lines in numerous scenes and opens with Eddie explaining the 3 Card game he plays.
I have it on the dvd I own and I've only found the theatrical online.
If you really enjoy the film finding the extended is a very worthy indulgence.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Dressmaker (2015)
Directed By: Jocelyn Moorhouse
Starring: Kate Winslet, Judy Davis, Liam Hemsworth

I actually had to pause the film at one point because one of Molly's lines had me cackling like a madman, and I'm glad no one else was home at the time.
You can put it in spoilers if needed, but I gotta know, what line was it?
I may have done a little cackling to it, myself.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I won't get started likely for another week or two, but I welcome and links or if any are on Netflix YouTube or Filmstruck let me know. I know Aviator was on Netflix, hopefully still is.

Was that scene in the movie?
It is. When Una comes to town, all the women are walking around in their fancy dresses doing ordinary things. It's a short scene, but it was one of my favourites.

You can put it in spoilers if needed, but I gotta know, what line was it?
I may have done a little cackling to it, myself.
It's probably not even that funny, and it may have had more to do with Judy Davis' delivery than anything else. When Liam Hemsworth is getting fitted for his suit, she mentions that he could get "snatched up by some eligible spinster...or hag", and I just lost it haha.

Amélie (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain) (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
Imdb

Date Watched: 09/18/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 17th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by @TheUsualSuspect
Rewatch: Yes.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet makes films that are beautiful and highly imaginative. They're full of brilliant colors and quirky, off-beat characters who find themselves in bizarre situations. In many ways his work reminds me of that of Wes Anderson, but unfortunately that is not a compliment. Both directors create worlds that are wonderful to look at but are filled with characters that are so off-beat and quirky as to make them off-putting for me.

And this was very much true for the people of Amélie, particularly for Miss Poulain herself. I think I was meant to find her sly smile and wide eyes endearing, but instead I found her kind of creepy. Her rather unethical - if well-intentioned - methods of affecting other people's lives didn't help the situation, either.

Still - and has been the case with the three other Jeunet films I've seen - I was at least reasonably well entertained by all the weirdness. It's just not something that will stick with me or leave me with any desire to revisit it on my own.

+

And this was very much true for the people of Amélie, particularly for Miss Poulain herself. I think I was meant to find her sly smile and wide eyes endearing, but instead I found her kind of creepy. Her rather unethical - if well-intentioned - methods of affecting other people's lives didn't help the situation, either.
This is pretty much exactly how I remember the film as well from my previous viewing.

Ghostwatch (1992)

What an idea for a movie! Orson Welles would be proud...and it was originally shown on Halloween evening too, how cool is that! I would have loved to watch this on that night, I bet it would've been a very memorable viewing experience!

Ghostwatch originally aired on BBC in 1992 October 31st as a Halloween treat...or maybe as a Halloween prank on the viewers. It was a mockumentary presented as a live TV broadcast, where a team of investigate reporters spend the evening investigating paranormal activities at a reportedly haunted house.

I loved the way this was done, with the woman from Ghostwatch spending the night in the house along with a camera crew who are armed with spectral imaging equipment and the two little girls who had been terrorized by the poltergeist ghost nicknamed 'Pipes' are there. They're all stuck in that house, live on TV, as we watch mysterious noises and worse, happening right in front of our eyes.

Add to that the two anchor people back in the Ghostwatch studio, one a woman who's a true believer who too easily find reasons to believe the ghost is real. Then the older man who's the lead anchor of the show, he's more skeptical which throws the audience off balance and adds credibility that what we're watching is real. And then there's a reporter on the streets who's more of a light heartened comedian, which further clouds the real aim of the show...It's intentional misdirection, all well done.

I enjoyed it, just the spectacle of it and the way they pitted the shows team against each other so as to manipulate the feelings of the audience...I tell ya, this is just like Orson Welles' famous 1938 Halloween radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds. Of course the great Orson did it first, but Ghostwatch did a helluva job with it.

Awesome choice @HashtagBrownies

BTW, Did you guys spot Pipes in the movie? The producer confirmed that there are 13 times that Pipes shows up...In that photo I used, I hid Pipes, can you see him?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghostwatch 1992.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	48140  

Yup, I see him. I think I spotted him about twice in the film.
I should have made that image harder to see, I guess Twice, you did good, I only seen him once in the closet. That was an easy spot. You're from the UK right? Do you know anybody who seen Ghostwatch when it first aired Halloween evening?

I should have made that image harder to see, I guess Twice, you did good, I only seen him once in the closet. That was an easy spot. You're from the UK right? Do you know anybody who seen Ghostwatch when it first aired Halloween evening?
Nope. I was born after it was aired.

I tell ya, this is just like Orson Welles' famous 1938 Halloween radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds. Of course the great Orson did it first, but Ghostwatch did a helluva job with it.
The major difference between the two is the "hysteria" from Welles broadcast is itself a hoax, there was practically no hysteria caused by his reading of War of the Worlds. There actually was from Ghostwatch, so many people called in that the phonelines got jammed adding to the legitimacy of it. There was tonnes of complaints and sadly a mentally ill man took his life which has been linked to the show. All Orson did was read War of the Worlds then people lied about there being mass hysteria years later, Ghostwatch actually made it a reality so i'd say they did it, Orson didn't.

Also the thing that added the most legitimacy was they were all regular BBC personalities that were well known. The older host you mention is Michael Parkinson he was like our David Letterman or something, a talk show host who also hosted various other shows and was cornily known as a "national treasure". Some of the others were on very popular shows like Blue Peter.

Also one of the Pipes sightings was only discover like four years ago, and apparently they haven't all been discovered yet.

Didn't Orson mention the hysteria in F for Fake? That's gotta be acknowledged.
Apparently, he liked playing it up:

In Getting it Wrong, Professor Campbell said that Welles was happy in later decades to encourage the myth of the panic because it was a "tale just too delectable not to be true". Campbell added that: "It is part of the lore of Orson Welles, the bad-boy genius who did his best work before he turned 30."

Nope. I was born after it was aired.
Didn't Orson mention the hysteria in F for Fake? That's gotta be acknowledged.
I figured you weren't around back then, I just wondered if an older relative or friend might have had a first had telling of when they seen Ghostwatch in 1992.

I seen F for Fake but don't remember if Orson mentioned his The War of the Worlds Broadcast. Some took his radio broadcast as real and jammed the switchboards of CBS radio. like happened with Ghostwatch.

This is an interview with Orson and Tom Synder about the the radio broadcast.
http://www.wellesnet.com/the-afterma...nference-1938/

I seen F for Fake but don't remember if Orson mentioned his The War of the Worlds Broadcast. Some took his radio broadcast as real and jammed the switchboards of CBS radio.
This is false. Barely anyone listened to the show and the later President of CBS admitted it was untrue:

AND IN FACT NOT MANY PEOPLE HEARD THE SHOW . . .
On the evening of October 30, 1938, most people tuning into radio were in fact listening to the highly popular Chase and Sanborn Hour, a comedy variety show hosted by the ventriloquist Edgar Bergin, which was airing at the same time as War of the Worlds on competing radio station, NBC. The radio ratings survey firm CE Hopper Company were, coincidentally, conducting a telephone poll that night of approximately five thousand households. They asked: "To what programme are you listening?” Only two per cent of people said they were listening to The War of the Worlds. In addition, several key CBS affiliate radio stations (including Boston’s WEEI) decided to carry local commercial shows rather than Welles's programme, further shrinking its audience. Frank Stanton, later president of CBS, said that CBS were never censored for The War of the Worlds, admitting: "In the first place, most people didn't hear the show."
There's loads of myths tied to the show like that and most have been debunked. It would've faded into obscurity if people didn't start making stuff up about it afterwards.

Unless I'm misreading this Wiki page it says people did flood the CBS switchboards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wa...s_(radio_drama)
If you follow the source that's taken from a book written nine years later, there's no actual original source for White having said that. He likely didn't, his successor said it was overblown.

In fact the panic was created after by newspapers who were at war with radio over listeners and ad revenues. They completely sensationalized everything to attempt to show that radio broadcasters were irresponsible and it was a dangerous medium. Most of the quotes and stories come from their newspapers and most of their claims have been debunked. There's evidence of an increase in calls that night but not an overwhelming amount, and it's doubtful they were all related to his broadcast considering not many people were listening to it.

Saw this one when it was new and I liked it. "Ass-tickler Fa**ot Fan Club" joke has stayed with me all these years and it still made me laugh out loud (and it wasn't the only time).

Some minor spoilers.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

Guy Ritchie's debut feature film is a story of four friends who try make some money in illegal gambling but the plan fails leaving them with a debt of 500k pounds and one week to pay. They learn about a robbery of weed sellers by accident and attempt to rob the robbers to make the money they need. There's a ton of other players involved and very few things go as planned.

Even being his debut film Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is already a vintage Ritchie; wild and obscure characters, funny and foul dialogue and lots of visual gimmickry. Technically it's still little rough around the edges but the script is brilliant and while the actors aren't exactly the best they manage to bring their characters alive almost like they've been tailored just for them.

The film manages to tie up its multiple storylines together nice and tight (i.e. it doesn't feel forced but things seem to flow naturally). Characters are either stupid, weird or both and the British dry and non-PC humor worked for me. In a way it reminded me of early Tarantino done with British style and with far less pretense.

All in all very solid debut that has aged well. I'd wish Ritchie would still make movies as good as this.