October Horror Challenge??

Tools    

Instead maybe a thread where we can all just come together and share some horror movies we're watching during the month, kind of like just a discussion thread?? Would that be appealing to anyone. Maybe less of a challenge more of a October horror club, ind of like an HoF but everyone just submits a horror movie and we just watch from the list? No winners or anything just group suggestion?
There was an Asian Movie Challenge here where it was just who watched the most. So you could still keep the "challenge" aspect but there's no set amount or categories and people could take the competition as seriously or not seriously as they want.

Instead maybe a thread where we can all just come together and share some horror movies we're watching during the month, kind of like just a discussion thread??
That's what I'll be using Suspect's thread for. I use Nostro's Slasher Vault for the slashers, but the other non specific horror that I'll watch in October, I'll discuss in Suspect's horror thread.

We definitely need new categories....

Actor
  1. Vincent Price
  2. Boris Karloff
  3. Christopher Lee
  4. Jamie Lee Curtis
  5. Lon Chaney
Countries
  1. United Kingdom
  2. France
  3. Italy
  4. Japan
  5. South Korea
Decade
  1. 1980's
  2. 1970's
  3. 2010's
  4. 1950's
  5. 1930's
Director
  1. Takashi Mike
  2. Alfred Hitchcock
  3. Terence Fisher
  4. Mario Bava
  5. Roman Polanski
Genre
  1. Science Fiction Horror
  2. Thriller
  3. Mystery Horror
  4. Psychological Horror
  5. Avant-garde Experimental
Producers
  1. Blumhouse
  2. A24
  3. Roger Corman
  4. Hammer
  5. Universal
Writers
  1. Stephen King
  2. HP Lovecraft
  3. Bram Stoker
  4. Clive Barker
  5. Mary Shelley

@Siddon I like those categories

So what I'm thinking is a kind of open ended watch as many as you can but it could like work on a points system. Each movie you watch would be 2 points and then we could come up with a few other point based rules just to make it interesting. Like if you watch every movie in a series you get an extra point for each film, so if you watched all 4 insidious movies you'd get 8 points (2 points per movie) but because you finished the whole series you get 4 more points ( 1 point per movie in the series). I don't know maybe someone could come up with a simpler gimmick. I just want to make it something people actually want to participate in.

@Siddon I like those categories

So what I'm thinking is a kind of open ended watch as many as you can but it could like work on a points system. Each movie you watch would be 2 points and then we could come up with a few other point based rules just to make it interesting. Like if you watch every movie in a series you get an extra point for each film, so if you watched all 4 insidious movies you'd get 8 points (2 points per movie) but because you finished the whole series you get 4 more points ( 1 point per movie in the series). I don't know maybe someone could come up with a simpler gimmick. I just want to make it something people actually want to participate in.

Sounds a little to complicated...maybe when you do your 31 categories you have bonus point options.

Day 1 - Movie Series
  • 1 Points - 2 Films in the Series
  • 2 Points - 3 Films in the Series
  • 3 Points - 5-6 Films in the Series
  • 4 Points - 7-9 Films in the Series
  • 5 Points - 10 Films in the Series
Day 2 - Country
  • 1 Point - North America
  • 2 Points - Europe
  • 3 Points - Asia
  • 4 Points - South America
  • 5 Points - Africa
Day 3 - Release Date
  • 1 Point - released last year
  • 2 Points - released this year
  • 3 Points - released on DVD in the month of October
  • 4 Points - streaming in the month of October
  • 5 Points - Film in the Theater

But I would say work out what the challenge you want to do is and then have a sign-up thread to make sure people would actually do it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It was fun last year but i don't think i'm gonna watch 31 in October again. Might watch ten or something.

Since this seems like an appropriate thread. Does anyone know any good non-zombie virus epidemic films? All i'm aware of is Contagion which i'll probably try. Been reading all sorts about Ebola and i think that's the perfect type of horror film for me right now. Also it doesn't have to be horror.
Just read The Stand.

Suspect's Reviews

I'm reading The Hot Zone which is about Filo Viruses and their real life outbreaks right now so i'm not that interested in reading a fictional one right after. I'm also not a big Steven King fan. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Welcome to the human race...
I would suggest the Stand miniseries, but I'm not so sure I'd call it all that good in the first place. Very obviously made-for-'90s-TV.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm reading The Hot Zone which is about Filo Viruses and their real life outbreaks right now so i'm not that interested in reading a fictional one right after. I'm also not a big Steven King fan. Thanks for the suggestion though.
I'm currently loading out a show titled The Hot Zone. So expect a TV adaptation sometime next year.

I'm currently loading out a show titled The Hot Zone. So expect a TV adaptation sometime next year.
Holy crap, i had no idea. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4131818/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I'm guessing Marguiles plays Nancy Jaax. Tbh, the Africa parts were my favourites and i imagine the show will be more focused on the US parts, but looking forward to it anyway. It does seem like a perfect book to adapt.

Id be well up for this. Always try and watch a few horrors in October, and this will give me a bit more direction in my choices, as Im not great at picking when my options are too many.

Id be well up for this. Always try and watch a few horrors in October, and this will give me a bit more direction in my choices, as Im not great at picking when my options are too many.
Go to https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=57853 for the new halloween challenge

Also answers to Jabba
@Jay Redrum I will probably give this a go, but not every category. I have finished Carpenter's filmography a long time ago for instance. Rewatch a favorite also seems a bit too vague and kind of unappealing to me.

I would suggest you replace some categories with different horror subgenres (as there is a ton of them). I would also appreciate some context in some of those categories. Two horror sequels means a film from a franchise with 2 or more sequels? Does the banned category mean banned from at least one country at some point in time? What does Highest Rated mean (some list on IMDb perhaps)? And what is three different countries?

@Jay Redrum I will probably give this a go, but not every category. I have finished Carpenter's filmography a long time ago for instance. Rewatch a favorite also seems a bit too vague and kind of unappealing to me.

I would suggest you replace some categories with different horror subgenres (as there is a ton of them). I would also appreciate some context in some of those categories. Two horror sequels means a film from a franchise with 2 or more sequels? Does the banned category mean banned from at least one country at some point in time? What does Highest Rated mean (some list on IMDb perhaps)? And what is three different countries?
We’re actually doing a whole new thing all together. https://www.movieforums.com/communit...d.php?&t=57853
Check that out