The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

She's a good director but i think half of the top ten being Bigelow films is a much bigger problem than one comic book movie making (the bottom) of the top twenty. Voted for one of hers and it wasn't this.

I think I agree although I don't think I ever used the word problem. Keep in mind my opinion was coming from a place of mofo not exactly filling these lists with blockbusters. I think of us as more of a independent/genre/classic group. I would expect Wonder Woman to be #1 on an IMDB women director list. Anyway, I didn't have 5 of her films in my top ten, so I agree.

Keep in mind my opinion was coming from a place of mofo not exactly filling these lists with blockbusters.
I think there's usually plenty, just the accepted ones like The Lord of the Rings, Terminator, Jaws, Matrix, etc. Keep in mind those types of films were high (higher than Wonder Woman) on Countdowns that got much more participation and weren't in subjects as limited as "directed by women".

I think of us as more of a independent/genre/classic group.
To me it seems more like Blockbusters + Academy Awards/AFI films, that's how the top half of these lists frequently look anyway. They are always boring, the only difference here is 90% of the voters had seen practically nothing (and it's already very limited considering women directors have only really became a regular thing in the past couple of decades) so the bottom half is littered with generic rom-coms instead of more interesting (IMO) films.

Anyway, despite the way it sounded i wasn't trying to reignite that argument as i figured it was over. Was just surprised no one mentioned it as i think it's a much bigger indictment of this places collective taste than one blockbuster barely making the top twenty.

Looking over my voting list and I'm bummed that some really great directed by women films didn't make the countdown... But I'm really glad we did the one Women Directors Hof, as it helped.

I'm starting to see that Hofs are very important to these countdowns, and had when down a second Women Directors Hof, I think we would have had more diversity on the list. Well maybe next countdown we can try that out and see.

I've seen all of Bigelow's movies and I like or love every one. There's not another director I can say that about. She's one of my favorite directors regardless of gender.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Boys Don't Cry a while back. (I think it was nominated in a HoF). It's a very good movie, but it's not the type of movie that I enjoy watching, so it didn't make my list.

I considered watching Zero Dark Thirty for this countdown, but it didn't seem like my kind of movie. I decided not to watch it so I could focus more on movies that I thought had a chance to make my list.

Again, one more:
#73 Children of a Lesser God Randa Haines
#72 Clueless Amy Heckerling
#66 Thirteen Catherine Hardwicke
#62 Something's Gotta Give Nancy Meyers
#47 Real Genius Martha Coolidge
#45 The Heartbreak Kid Elaine May
#34 Wayne's World Penelope Spheeris
#22 Monster Patty Jenkins
#21 The Piano Jane Campion
#16 The Babadook Jennifer Kent
#17 Sleepless in Seattle Nora Ephron
#13 Awakenings Penny Marshall
#10 Zero Dark Thirty Kathryn Bigelow

Welcome to the human race...
#9.
Strange Days

(dir. Kathryn Bigelow, 1995)

1 x 2nd, 1 x 4th, 3 x 5th, 1 x 6th, 1 x 7th, 1 x 9th, 1 x 12th, 1 x 13th, 1 x 16th, 1 x 23rd, 1 x 24th
=
207 points

I watched Strange Days for a Hall of Fame (or maybe it was for a previous MoFo list?) and I thought it was well made but didn't really leave a lasting impression on me and I didn't vote for it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Okay, when I was predicting the top ten I was deciding whether or not to have Away From Her or Strange Days show up. I didn't want to see so much Bigelow there so I dropped Strange Days and guessed with Away From Her. Which tells me one thing...Away From Her did not make the list.

What

The

F*ck.

Suspect's Reviews

Not only did Away From Her not make the list, but nobody voted for it at all.

Strange Days was my #6. I do like cyberpunk and it is certainly a solid entry into the genre.

Not only did Away From Her not make the list, but nobody voted for it at all.

Strange Days was my #6. I do like cyberpunk and it is certainly a solid entry into the genre.
I sure did.

So you did. For some reason I didn't include it in the spreadsheet so that explains why I thought it wasn't there. In any case, it sounds like you were the only one to vote for it so...yeah.

So you did. For some reason I didn't include it in the spreadsheet so that explains why I thought it wasn't there. In any case, it sounds like you were the only one to vote for it so...yeah.

Okay, when I was predicting the top ten I was deciding whether or not to have Away From Her or Strange Days show up. I did't want to see so much Bigelow there so I dropped Strange Days and guessed with Away From Her. Which tells me one thing...Away From Here did not make the list.

What

The

F*ck.
Love Polley, voted for her two other films. Only thought Away From Her was decent. Didn't make my list.

Strange Days and Near Dark are two big blind spots for me. Surprised I never watched Strange Days too. It was a big renter during my Blockbuster days.

Strange Days was a very easy choice for my #2 slot. I love the story; it's culturally relevant and goes to some very dark places. It's unique and has characters that stand out. I also have a crush on Juliettte Lewis even with those itty bitty titties.

1. Boys Don't Cry (#11)
2. Strange Days (#9)
4. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (#14)
5. Mikey and Nicky (#39)
6. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (#59)
7. The Virgin Suicides (#29)
9. Bound (#90)
10. Zero Dark Thirty (#10)
11. American Honey (#23)
13. Detroit (#40)
14. Nothing Bad Can Happen (#51)
15. Harlan County U.S.A. (#71)
16. The Heartbreak Kid (#45)
17. The Edge of Seventeen (#98)
18. Fish Tank (#12)
21. Sleepless in Seattle (#15)
24. Deep Impact (#87)