The Jedi code and how Yoda broke it

Tools    

Boldly going.
“A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.” Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

Yoda leads the attack on Geonosis:

Yoda confronts Dooku:

Yoda attacks the clone troopers at the Jedi Temple:

Yoda tells Obi-Wan he must attack Vader:

Yoda attacks the Emperor:

Yoda tells Luke that he must "confront Vader" in order to become a Jedi (Did Yoda think Luke and Vader would just have a friendly chat? Later, when Luke tells Obi-Wan that he can't kill his own father, Obi-Wan says "then the Emperor has already won.")

Yoda destroys the old tree containing ancient Jedi books of knowledge:

I realize that in each of these instances, Yoda was defending someone. We are not meant to take "never attack" literally, but figuratively ... Yet I think this double-standard may lend evidence to Luke's claim in The Last Jedi about the Jedi's own hypocrisy.

What do you think?

They all break the rules tbh.

Windu went to arrest Palpatine, and, was the first to spark up his light sabre.
Obi Wan totally went on the attack against Maul after Jinn died.
Luke went batsh*t crazy when Vader threatened Leia in Return Of The Jedi.

Oh, spoiler... the ancient texts weren't destroyed in TLJ. Yoda blew up the tree, but he knew Rey had taken the books... he just didn't tell Luke that

Oh, there's also Yoda's famous quote when training Luke...

"Do or do not... there is no try"

That's a Sith style quote.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes... as Obi Wan said when Anakin says "You're either with me, or you're my enemy"

Yeah, @Yoda's bad.

Never liked him myself.

That damned Palpatine, man.
Always hiding in the shadows, waiting for his moment to pick on someone.

When I saw four mentions and the title of the thread I figured I was being accused of abusing my powers or something.
We luv ya

Your motto should actually be

"Little I am, ban your arse I can."

Guilty mind, Yoda?

Yeah, the semi-serious response is that it's probably thought of as a form of self-defense, but then, where does it end? It's pretty easy to rationalize most violence as some kind of indirect defense, if you're willing to look really far down the line, so I think it's more that Lucas wasn't really thinking about a lot of the things he wrote. I mean, there's that whole thing about Anakin having a dream he came back and "freed all the slaves." What happened with that? Nothing, right? Why is it in the movie? It's like he forgot he even wrote that.

If you wanna headcanon this into something good, you could say the fact that the Jedi stray from this edict is one of the reasons they fall, and that Yoda learns from it and emphasizes pacifism in his teachings later because he saw how failing to do so led to their collective downfall.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
That's even funnier because of how long it took to click.

You ready? You look ready.
But Anakin did free all the slaves. Of course, you have to believe that taking away the freedom of everyone in the Empire is a form of freedom. Semantics I know, but still...it works.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Yoda is known for being calm and collected, but he does show emotion on occasion. For example, in "Revenge of the Sith," Yoda becomes visibly upset when he senses that the Jedi Temple has been attacked.