AFI

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I feel like thinking of directors in terms of who is/will be the next Spielberg is probably not the best way to look at it anyway since it's forcing an unnecessary and limiting comparison that is more focused on how filmmakers don't measure up to the highest possible standard than on how they actually fare on their own merits. I like plenty of bands without ever feeling the need to compare them to the Beatles.

Get Out makes more sense since it effectively became an instant classic with Academy-level prestige and is shaping up to be one of those films that will define the entire decade. It's interesting how the list as is has only one actual Disney film (Snow White) and one Pixar (Toy Story) as if those are meant to represent both studios as a whole so maybe one wouldn't expect them to add more of those films anyway. The Dark Knight seems like a reasonable pick that also covers another angle (2000s-defining high-brow blockbuster), as does The Departed for being both a Best Picture winner and a Scorsese film.

I mean, that's the thing about trying to pick just a hundred titles that represent the entire history of film stretching all the way back to the silent age - in that context, how much of the list could seriously be devoted to films from just the last 15-20 years? I'd say maybe a handful of titles, plus it's clear from the existing picks that the AFI has a certain kind of film in mind when making this list anyway so those picks would have to be a lot more precise than just whatever above-average Disney films have come out lately.
Yeah, I agree. They're really heavily concentrated on dramas. But so are most of those lists. I haven't counted how many dramas are there, I'd say most, maybe even 70 -90. Having seen so many movies ever since I joined and you folks contaminated me with a passion form film in every possible sense (I'm most interested in film theory actually, rather than just watching movies), especially the 40s, but I've been watching it all - each decade, each genre, each country, classic or unknown, dramas really are the most inpressive. My favorite genres are still sci-fi (I love Escape From New York ), fantasy, adventure and mystery on one side, and romance (that's my alltime fave afterall) and comedy on the other.

Welcome to the human race...
I think that might be because the AFI also has a bunch of other lists that focus on specific genres like comedies, romances, and thrillers anyway so they can afford to have their main list consist of mainly dramas while mixing in the best of all other genres.

I think that might be because the AFI also has a bunch of other lists that focus on specific genres like comedies, romances, and thrillers anyway so they can afford to have their main list consist of mainly dramas while mixing in the best of all other genres.
Also there other lists dont always match up with their main lists.

41. King kong. Lower
42. Bonnie and Clyde way lower.
43. Midnight cowboy. A ganial, beautiful, deeply human movie
44. Philadelphia story. I CANT STAND THIS GARBAGE with 3 idiotic actors (as KH said herslef, everything she touches turns to ****, only Guess whos coming=
45. Sahne - terrific, lower
46. It happened one night - one of the most beautiful movies of all time, insanely higher, AT LEAST top 15. Now that's a romance, not the PS garbage.
47. Streetcar. Master- piece. I hate Leigh.
48 Rear window. disgustingly overrated. It's not even in my top 30 Hitch
49. Intolerance. THE bloody Griffith masterpiece.
50. lotr cant stand it

Movies to replace from AFI's top 100.
E.T
Apocalypse now
Fellowship of the Ring
The Deer hunter
Jaws
Rocky
Titanic
Silence of the lambs
Forrest Gump
I would also exchange Hannah and Her Sisters for Annie Hall (both by Woody Allen.)

Movies to Add:
Paris Texas
A Night to Remember
Manhattan
His Girl Friday
To Be or Not To BE (Jack Benny)
Mean Streets
Ordinary People
Badlands
Inception

As far as their place on this list, I leave to the professional critics.