Throw Your Pulp Fiction Criticisms At Me!

Tools    

The entire movie is fluff; there is no meat in it whatsoever. There is a much better movie in the same year, Natural Born Killers (for which the story was provided by Tarintino!), which has much better editing, much better acting and a much better message (Pulp Fiction has almost no message whatsoever). If you want substance, Pulp Fiction will fail. If you want Brain Candy, then, sure, I guess. I personally cannot stand the film.

I'm not looking for morale differences between a moviemaker and a role. Besides, the bullet hole is so minor for a mistake.
QuentinTarantino’s acting! Very jarring! Someone please edit him out.
Yup, that's exactly what I was going to say.

On a moral note as the OP asked for: we have a director that allowed his personal vanity to override the integrity of film making, when he decided to include himself in the world of Pulp Fiction, and that's one flaw in an otherwise brilliant film. Tarantino can't act and is not an actor, his segment in the film brings the professionalism level down a couple notches and as a film maker his dedication should have been completely to the film, and not to his own personal whims to 'play movie star'.
I kind of agree on the acting, but Eddie's such a minor role that it hardly matters. Thankfully the movie doesn't base itself on flat-out and up front character development, resulting in yet another cameo made by a director. Compare Tarantino as Eddir to Shaymalan in Lady in the Water. Now that's being pretensious.

A system of cells interlinked
I only got one question..........

Seriously, though. It always bugged me that they never showed the contents.
The case is an homage to Kiss Me Deadly, which also features a glowing case, the contents of which you never get to see, either.

Spielberg also paid homage to that film/case in Raiders of the Lost Ark when the nazis open the ark. See also: Repo man, with the car trunk.

The entire movie is fluff; there is no meat in it whatsoever. There is a much better movie in the same year, Natural Born Killers (for which the story was provided by Tarintino!), which has much better editing, much better acting and a much better message (Pulp Fiction has almost no message whatsoever). If you want substance, Pulp Fiction will fail. If you want Brain Candy, then, sure, I guess. I personally cannot stand the film.

Disagree, big time. Natural Born Killers is garbage. WAY over the top. The acting is so much worse in that film, and it has aged terribly. I can't get through it these days.

Welcome to the human race...
I'll take Pulp Fiction's alleged lack of a message over Natural Born Killers' inane and badly-executed message (which is, what, serial killers aren't as bad as the media that exploits them for profit?) any day of the week.

The movie drags and the dialogue isnt nearly as grand as people make it out to be, in fact a lot of it feels forced. I dont mind a movie being loose on plot but most of what happens in Pulp fiction isnt interesting. There are interesting moments and ideas here and their but as a whole its just boring. I don't want to sound snobby but the reputation this film has as one of the greatest of all time is baffling to me. Then again I didnt like Reservoir Dogs or Kill Bill.

Natural Born Killers is incredibly heavy handed, no message is better than what that film forces down your throat. Also curious if your demand for a message stays consistent through all your favourites or if you are trying to apply something to Pulp Fiction which it wasn't going for as an attempt at a criticism.

I think Pulp Fiction is entertaining but it's not a major favourite for the record and it's certainly overpraised.

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."
The case is an homage to Kiss Me Deadly, which also features a glowing case, the contents of which you never get to see, either.

Spielberg also paid homage to that film/case in Raiders of the Lost Ark when the nazis open the ark. See also: Repo man, with the car trunk.

Disagree, big time. Natural Born Killers is garbage. WAY over the top. The acting is so much worse in that film, and it has aged terribly. I can't get through it these days.
Ah, didn't know that. Figures, since Tarantino is Hollywood's best admirer of what inspired him.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Pulp Fiction is pretty good, but I don't think it's one of the best movies ever made like a lot make it out to be. It is more like one of the best movies of 1994 I would say.

I think it's wonderful BECAUSE it's not a film with a lot of meat. It's a day in the life of a couple of hitmen, and events that surround their eventual destinies. It's like Tarkovsky's Mirror in the sense that it's just a movie about life. Life doesn't always have witty dialogue, or grand adventures, or complete consistency in what one focuses on during that adventure. Tarantino stayed perfectly aware of that throughout the whole movie.

It's a movie about life. We don't get a lot of life movies and its rare we see one so faithful to the concept of life itself.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I think my criticism is not just this movie but Tarantino movies in general. He uses entertainment and music as a leverage for weak plot structure. Everything is so damn convenient in his movies. He skips the hard part of film making and jumps straight into the meaty scenes only. The trick is to make boring things entertaining.

For example in the big kahuna burger scene Samuel L Jackson shoots at the guy on the couch and by the reaction of the guy in the chair that was meant to be a kill shot. But we hear no screaming from the guy who has been shot close to his groin area. Because he didn't want to break the tension in the scene. That's a cheap directorial choice. he wants Samuel L Jackson to keep his cool.
and the byline goes to ...Aronisred.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Yup, that's exactly what I was going to say.

On a moral note as the OP asked for: we have a director that allowed his personal vanity to override the integrity of film making, when he decided to include himself in the world of Pulp Fiction, and that's one flaw in an otherwise brilliant film. Tarantino can't act and is not an actor, his segment in the film brings the professionalism level down a couple notches and as a film maker his dedication should have been completely to the film, and not to his own personal whims to 'play movie star'.
You were the only one who mentioned the key word - vanity. It's not judt that Quentin want's for the whole world to know how cool he is in all his movies, it also conforms to all actors. I hate, can't stand and am sick of this garbage. They can't get over themselves how cool they are. And over what? Drugs, killing, torturing I'm gonna go medieval on this one. It's all hysteria.

Appealing moments make for a rather awkwardly paced, thematically inconsistent whole.