The Videogames Tab

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Yeah. Zotis had some thoughts on my opinion of it. Shame that Sony let Supermassive go, but you figured they were blowing their wad early to sell consoles.

I loved Until Dawn, in light of the fact I think Rami Malek is missing a chromosome. That style about sums up the perfect game for me.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
You've played Until Dawn? Some say it's the best David Cage game ever made, and one that he had no part in.
I've beat Until Dawn three times in two weeks so I could have the Platinum Trophy. Although it's rough-around-the-edges, in-terms of overall execution, I think I would argue Until Dawn is superior to David Cage's games (not counting Detroit, which I haven't played) and while I don't love it as much as some of the Tell Tale games like Tales from the Borderlands or Wolf Among Us, it has a higher production than those.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
On the last level of Castlevania now! Time to take out Dracula!

#retrogamer
I actually beat the first Castlevania about a month ago or so. I enjoyed its charm, but it's definitely more of a novelty at this stage. I've been meaning to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which I own like three different copies of now, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I liked it when I played it on my Xbox 360 (Arcade) but I never finished it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I actually beat the first Castlevania about a month ago or so. I enjoyed its charm, but it's definitely more of a novelty at this stage. I've been meaning to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which I own like three different copies of now, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I liked it when I played it on my Xbox 360 (Arcade) but I never finished it.
Symphony is great. I was playing it last year and got decently far but I have never beaten the game yet.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I'm still delving into Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen, which I'll pick back up on tomorrow. I went back and started playing Crash Team Racing on the Original PlayStation as well, and honestly, it's still a lot of fun. Although it borrows a large deal from Mario Kart, I actually like it more. It's mostly because I grew up on Crash, not on Mario, but I also think it handles better and I like how it implements obstacles and level-design from the actual Crash Bandicoot plat-formers.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Symphony is great. I was playing it last year and got decently far but I have never beaten the game yet.
I stepped back from it. I don't remember why, but considering this was back, like 7-8 years ago, chances are, I ended up becoming frustrated with it. Luckily, since I have it on the Pi (and on PlayStation and 360), I can rig it where I can skip the loading screens (I wouldn't use it to cheat or anything like that), so it isn't such a long lapse of time between deaths, etc.

I also have Castlevania: Chronicles on the PSN (and now the Pi), but I've never played it much, and one of the Castlevania's on the Nintendo DS, so I've got a lot of stuff to do with 'Vania.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I've beat Until Dawn three times in two weeks so I could have the Platinum Trophy. Although it's rough-around-the-edges, in-terms of overall execution, I think I would argue Until Dawn is superior to David Cage's games (not counting Detroit, which I haven't played) and while I don't love it as much as some of the Tell Tale games like Tales from the Borderlands or Wolf Among Us, it has a higher production than those.

Compared to Beyond: The Green Goblin and Ricky's daughter, Detroit is a masterpiece. I enjoyed it, despite it being a mud-walking simulator.

UD was good at grabbing my hand and pulling me along saying, "come on, come on...just over this next hill..." . Plus I really loved some of those characters.

there's a frog in my snake oil
So this is the new indie 'space combat sim' taking on the bloated big boys...

Looks intriguing. Kinda hilarious that they say they held off for fear of Elite / Star Citizen etc, then realised they didn't have so much to worry about

It seems to have a storyline on top of a base of generated missions, ship upgrading, and standard trade and pew pew. Rendered locales exist, but are skipped between rather than ambled between in a full rendered world. Def on the streamlined and playful end of the scale. (The 'auto-follow opponent' for combat is definitely a nod that it's more arcade than sim etc. But having that level of accessibility across the board is probably what the other 'dogfighting rough trader' games lack...)

It's kinda hilariously like a fever dream of a modern Chris Roberts game, with the aliens sassing you on mini-screens and the unashamed rock music. Just done to a budget. And actually done

---

EDIT:

Bonus points for taking the mickey out of SC's monetisation practices

(Yes SC tried to charge $20 to view streams of their Citzencon, in case you missed that bit of deliciousness )

there's a frog in my snake oil
Minor VR contagion. Please excuse the judder...

FALLOUT 4 VR: REVIEW

To keep this simple. I rate it like this:
++

The Adventure Starts Here!
Okay, you gamer nerd types. Help a gal out! ( @Tacitus, I'm looking at you, since you so kindly and knowledgeably helped me a few years ago!)

I've got this graphics card, which worked great in my old computer but is giving me fits in the new supposedly-gaming rig:

https://amzn.to/2N1WZAt

I'm thinking my computer issues (almost every game freezing in Steam, and an average of 1 BSOD a day) might be graphics card issues, though the old computer with this card was FINE and never had issues with ANY game I threw at it.

Is this card better than the one I have now?

https://amzn.to/2MZRFO4

This is my acceptable price range, but I don't want to go higher. I don't even want to buy THIS one but I'm frustrated beyond belief at the performance issues. I'll also upgrade my 500W power supply from this one:

https://amzn.to/2CFD3Pk

… to possibly something like this 750W:

https://amzn.to/2wYgY8w

(The GPU and PS I have now were recommended by Taccy almost three years ago and have served me well. Have no idea why the new computer dislikes them so much.)

Games I play that need to work with these upgrades: Skyrim, Obduction, a bunch of Sherlock Holmes games, all the Myst games (Win10 upgrades)… and a lot of adventure games of various types.

THOUGHTS?

The People's Republic of Clogher
First off, I'd check your RAM for problems. It seems really strange that a relatively new GPU is causing your BSODs .... but it might be?

You can run a RAM test through Windows 10 - https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how...-for-problems/

I wouldn't bother with a new power unit at this time, though, but if you decide you want a new GPU, the 1050ti gets good reviews as a really powerful budget card. What are you running now? Only asking because it might not be a huge upgrade (or even a noticeable one) on what you've already got.

If the RAM test comes back ok, I'd get a professional to have a look at the machine before you buy any new hardware, though.

Okay, you gamer nerd types. Help a gal out! ( @Tacitus, I'm looking at you, since you so kindly and knowledgeably helped me a few years ago!)

I've got this graphics card, which worked great in my old computer but is giving me fits in the new supposedly-gaming rig:

https://amzn.to/2N1WZAt

I'm thinking my computer issues (almost every game freezing in Steam, and an average of 1 BSOD a day) might be graphics card issues, though the old computer with this card was FINE and never had issues with ANY game I threw at it.

Is this card better than the one I have now?

https://amzn.to/2MZRFO4

This is my acceptable price range, but I don't want to go higher. I don't even want to buy THIS one but I'm frustrated beyond belief at the performance issues. I'll also upgrade my 500W power supply from this one:

https://amzn.to/2CFD3Pk

… to possibly something like this 750W:

https://amzn.to/2wYgY8w

(The GPU and PS I have now were recommended by Taccy almost three years ago and have served me well. Have no idea why the new computer dislikes them so much.)

Games I play that need to work with these upgrades: Skyrim, Obduction, a bunch of Sherlock Holmes games, all the Myst games (Win10 upgrades)… and a lot of adventure games of various types.

THOUGHTS?

I've got a link to the card I have in my post above, a GTX 960 recommended by you a few year ago (which has been an amazingly perfect purchase before getting this new computer).

No memory issues. Moving on...

Since I just bought this computer in May/June, I'm going to contact them first (I'd contacted them over the summer but I was still in a wait-and-see mood so I hadn't pursued further action with them at the time)… since I shouldn't have to sink money into fixing something that this computer should be doing properly right out of the box. I'm more and more convinced that there is just something WRONG with this computer.

I'll contact them before purchasing any new hardware... (I'm reeeeally missing my Steam games.)
Thanks, Taccy. You're a treasure for answering my obnoxious geek questions.

No problemo!

A 1050ti will be an upgrade on a 960, but not a major one. Personally I wouldn't swap it for a 960 which is working fine .... although your 960 might not be working fine. Get it looked at then we'll take things from there.

My guess is still that the card and PS are fine. The new rig was having these issues before I put in the card and PS. The fact that the issues continue, to me, means the original problem was something else. Which, of course, really pisses me off.

You're a godsend! Thanks! Will post any updates (and good news, I hope) once I contact the manufacturer.

I've bought the Destiny 2 expansion. I am a bad person.

That game is utterly cynical in its ways of fleecing the customer of their cash - an example: You can't even buy their new $40 expansion without having already purchased the previous two disappointing ones. This expansion will have its own DLC.

But the shooty bang bang stuff feels soooo good.

I've bought the Destiny 2 expansion. I am a bad person.

That game is utterly cynical in its ways of fleecing the customer of their cash - an example: You can't even buy their new $40 expansion without having already purchased the previous two disappointing ones. This expansion will have its own DLC.

But the shooty bang bang stuff feels soooo good.
Do they at least build on each other? That does seem a bit... mean.

Do they at least build on each other? That does seem a bit... mean.
Nope!

There's even a system in the new Expansion to level you up instantly to lvl 30, specifically bypassing (and locking off) the content in the previous two DLCs.

Nope!

There's even a system in the new Expansion to level you up instantly to lvl 30, specifically bypassing (and locking off) the content in the previous two DLCs.
I'm blanking on their reasoning for this. What's the deal??

I guess there'd be certain weapons and armour which are exclusive to the prior DLCs, but they're not essential as you'll always find original ones as powerful, just not maybe as nice looking. The top-to-bottom gameplay changes are also in the base game, so you don't need to buy any of the DLC for that. You could make the argument about wanting a coherent narrative were it not for the part where the game lets you skip large parts of it in order to get to the new bits, then stops you ever going back to the old parts.

Yep, the only reason I can think of is £$£$£$£$£$£$£$.

But it feels so good to play!