Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2018

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Never seen that one but coincidentally I just read a story concerning that film as it appears Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder may actually be married for real! It seems Coppola hired a genuine Romanian priest to perform the ceremony.

#90 - Trump: An American Dream (2017) ~ August 21 [miniseries]

Four interesting episodes, especially the first three. Gives a proper insight into the president's mind. He's a man who fed fake stories about his sex life to the press, acting as his own spokesperson, in order to make them not write about his financial problems. Perception is everything.

#91 - Tangerine (2015) ~ August 22

I liked this. It's not on the same level as Sean Baker's The Florida Project from last year, but a lot of the qualities from that brilliant film are also present here. Can't wait for Baker's next project!

#92 - Under the Silver Lake (2018) ~ August 23

This is THE film to beat for me this year. I absolutely adored it and I can't wait to see it again!
A struggling, apathetic guy spots a girl in the swimming pool of his apartment block, goes to her room the next day to make out and smoke weed, and then finds out that she has suddenly moved out and disappeared. He begins his own investigation and what follows is a delicious psychedilic piece of cinematic paranoia.
A naked woman with an owl mask kills men at night, a group of elevated people communicates with eachother through a whole bunch of weird codes that are hidden in pop culture and there are mysterious tunnels running underneath L.A. What's the purpose of it all? Well, see for yourself and make your own conclusions... or just enjoy the marvelous adventure.

^^If that shows up at a cinema near me, I might just give it a go.^^

Of course, I still might and go and see The Meg, so it's not really an indication of its quality.

#93 - Bone Tomahawk (2015) ~ August 27

Really cool flick. I was kind of instinctively drawn towards this film from the moment it came out, but I somehow never came around to it. I'm glad I did now. It's an intense and raw blend between a classic western and a gruesome horror film. The execution is practically perfect. I was completely within the film throughout its whole running time.

Very interested in seeing Zahler's new film after this.

The whole Western look really puts me off seeing that film. It's just an aesthetic which I really don't like and, almost always, puts me off straight away.

Unregistered User
The whole Western look really puts me off seeing that film. It's just an aesthetic which I really don't like and, almost always, puts me off straight away.

That's what put me off seeing it until recently. Great film HK, give it a go.

Personally, I found Bone Tomahawk extremely disappointing. The gruesome brutality of the last act redeemed it enough for me to give it a positive rating, but overall I thought the movie was a bit of a slog, and I found the writing/direction amateurish. Maybe my expectations were simply too high, so I'm down to give it another viewing sometime. Going into it, I thought it had all the ingredients to become a new favorite, combining my two favorite genres, my love of cannibal movies and an excellent cast including Sid Haig.

I thought Bram Stoker's Dracula was terrible, and I'm always surprised by how much love it gets in certain circles. Edward Scissorhands is a longtime favorite. Just hearing the name Jane Austen is enough to put me to sleep, and I tend to struggle with period costume dramas, so I'm skeptical I'd like Sense and Sensibility or Pride and Prejudice -- although I've always had the hots for Knightley, so I'll probably check out the latter one day. Never heard of Brand Upon the Brain! or Under the Silver Lake, but both sound fascinating. Still haven't watched Tangerine (or The Florida Project) but plan to in the near future.

#94 - The Cabin in the Woods (2012) ~ August 28

A very much on the nose meta horror film that parodies all the cliches of the genre. It's a fine film with a few cool bits and a semi-original execution, but yeah, Scream did it better and in a more clever and genuine way.

It was years before I saw Cabin In The Woods and all that time I managed to hear or learn almost nothing about it. Disappointing when I finally watched it. I don't think I expected too much, it just wasn't something I cared much for. It felt like an overlong joke.

#95 - First Reformed (2017) ~ September 4

One of the most unsettling pictures I've seen in a while. A toxic, disturbing and very interesting achievement by Schrader.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
#95 - First Reformed (2017) ~ September 4

One of the most unsettling pictures I've seen in a while. A toxic, disturbing and very interesting achievement by Schrader.
Probably one of my must see films this year. I think Hawke is an underrated actor and I've heard he give his best performance here.

Suspect's Reviews

#94 - The Cabin in the Woods (2012) ~ August 28

A very much on the nose meta horror film that parodies all the cliches of the genre. It's a fine film with a few cool bits and a semi-original execution, but yeah, Scream did it better and in a more clever and genuine way.
I love this film. I feel like it is a perfect double feature with any horror film as it does an excellent job of connecting the genre.

I saw an advanced screening of it and the audience loved it too. It wasn't too successful at the box-office because I don't think people really knew what to make of it. Does Scream do it better? Maybe, I think Scream did it differently, which makes it possible for me to enjoy both immensely.

One of my favourite films that year....possibly #1.

#93 - Bone Tomahawk (2015) ~ August 27

Really cool flick. I was kind of instinctively drawn towards this film from the moment it came out, but I somehow never came around to it. I'm glad I did now. It's an intense and raw blend between a classic western and a gruesome horror film. The execution is practically perfect. I was completely within the film throughout its whole running time.

Very interested in seeing Zahler's new film after this.
Despite a long run-time, this film was excellent. Surprise effort by Matthew Fox and I did not recognize Richard Jenkins at all. I didn't even know he was in the film until the credits rolled.

A classic Western until the horror kicks in in the last act. Kurt Russell took this role because he needed to grow a beard for The Hateful Eight.

#32 - I, Tonya (2017) ~ February 25

Hell yeah!
This film tells the crazy story of Tonya Harding's ice skating career. It does it in what I can only describe as "the style of Goodfellas". There are constant voice overs, fourth wall breaks, freeze frames, cool match cuts, wild camera movements and there's just an allround visual energy that drives the film forward.
Very few films get the "Goodfellas style" right (Boogie Nights is the only film that was truly able to almost match it). I, Tonya does it right enough of the time though, and it makes for a wildly entertaining flick. It may not quite be in the same league as films like Goodfellas or Boogie Nights, but I enjoyed it immensely. Great theater experience!
It very much reminded me of To Die For, with Nicole Kidman. I enjoyed the film, the only distracting thing was Margot Robbie's face digitally put on another person's body for the ice skating scenes.

#75 - Psycho II (1983) ~ July 8

Usually I don't watch unnecessary sequels, but this was on TV and I couldn't resist checking it out for a while. I ended up watching the whole thing.
It's certainly not as bad as it could've been and it actually has some interesting aspects to it. A fun sequel!
I started watching this on Netflix, got busy, then tried returning to it...but it was gone.

Decent from what I saw and in no way should one even try to compare to the original.

#96 - Get Me Roger Stone (2017) ~ September 5

Interesting documentary about Roger Stone, a shameless freak with a lot of political influence.