The Silence Of The Lambs

Tools    

Yeah Mann changed it to Lektor.

And Cox has got a really likable quality to him so yes, it would work well. I dont remember him being thoroughly terrifying like I found Mads, who also does likable well.
The interesting thing about Manhunter is that it's not about Lektor. It's all about Francis Dollarhyde, aka, the tooth fairy. The killer. Lektor is just featured in the film as a sort of touchstone to the tooth fairy's M.O. The tooth fairy is the one who is portrayed as severly falwed, terrifying, but also a bit pathetic..as if he could be functional, if only he wasn't so f'd up!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The interesting thing about Manhunter is that it's not about Lektor. It's all about Francis Dollarhyde, aka, the tooth fairy. The killer. Lektor is just featured in the film as a sort of touchstone to the tooth fairy's M.O. The tooth fairy is the one who is portrayed as severly falwed, terrifying, but also a bit pathetic..as if he could be functional, if only he wasn't so f'd up!
Yes to all of that. And he really was so pathetic, but OMG his mother. I cant remember her from the movie but there's a flashback in the tv series.

Yes to all of that. And he really was so pathetic, but OMG his mother. I cant remember her from the movie but there's a flashback in the tv series.
Oh, really? Never saw any tv on it. There's no mother character in the film, not Manhunter, anyway.

Oh, really? Never saw any tv on it. There's no mother character in the film, not Manhunter, anyway.
Red Dragon is screwed up thoroughly by his insane mum. That's why he had her dentures copied to bite people with.

Have you seen the tv series? Red Dragon is the last half of season 3. Bryan had the rights to all the books except SotL via Martha de Laurentiis who owns them, and his show is based on characters from those books. I do remember mother dearest from the book, though.

This is all I've found on the change of name. Mann musnt have been on good terms with Harris (he's a recluse but is on very good terms with Martha)

changing Hannibal Lecter’s name to ‘Lecktor’ for license reasons.

i like manhunter aswell, it has its moments of brilliant 80s style slasher

I was watching the beginning the other day and the flashback to Clarice's childhood really stood out. Firstly for the transition, with its dizzying movement and initial POV, but also for something really interesting. The feeling generated, as I saw it, was not of going back in time but of Clarice remembering vividly being 'in the present' at that age. I also think that the absolute quiet in the scene helped greatly.

I was watching the beginning the other day and the flashback to Clarice's childhood really stood out. Firstly for the transition, with its dizzying movement and initial POV, but also for something really interesting. The feeling generated, as I saw it, was not of going back in time but of Clarice remembering vividly being 'in the present' at that age. I also think that the absolute quiet in the scene helped greatly.
it s a great crime thriller, stands time, a classic in cinema

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Silence of the Lambs was probably the best one, then Red Dragon, then Manhunter, are good too, but the other two you can skip I would say. I should watch the series as it does sound interesting.

Silence of the Lambs is a near perfect thriller, although I might have found Buffalo Bill to be much of a mustache twirling villain, when they could have made him more of an empathetic villain, like they did with The Tooth Fairy, but maybe not?

I had more sympathy for Dolarhyde – that definitely came to the fore watching Ralph Fiennes play him.

Silence of the Lambs was probably the best one, then Red Dragon, then Manhunter, are good too, but the other two you can skip I would say. I should watch the series as it does sound interesting.

Silence of the Lambs is a near perfect thriller, although I might have found Buffalo Bill to be much of a mustache twirling villain, when they could have made him more of an empathetic villain, like they did with The Tooth Fairy, but maybe not?

Nah, having no empathy is the whole point of Bill.
Tooth Fairy was bullied, tortured and generally damaged by his Grandmother. He was the embodiment of a system of abuse.
Bill though, thought he wanted to be female... he even tried to get the procedure but was turned away from all the hospitals because of his violent and psychopathic tendencies... so, he went about it in his own way: Bill kidnaps large women and starves his victims, then he skins them so he can "become" a woman.

But, why should an antagonist need a reason?
The thing with Buffalo Bill, is that he sees no wrong in what he does.
He takes what he wants in any way he sees fit... even if it means the torture and mutilation of a human being.

He's totally twisted rather than someone who "has reasons"... and that's what makes him such a powerful antagonist.

Also, credit needs to be given to Ted Levine for playing the role. Not many actors could or even would play a character like Buffalo Bill, let alone play it as well as he did.

This might just do nobody any good.
Silence of the Lambs was probably the best one, then Red Dragon, then Manhunter
Manhunter is better than Red Dragon for the simple fact that the cast was awake during filming.

I guess I'm just more partial to the empathetic villains who have tortured reasons, but that is just me.

A lot of people hate Red Dragon, or think it's a lesser movie, but I don't see it really, compared to Manhunter. I thought the portrayal of the Tooth Fairy in Red Dragon was done much better, compared to Manhunter where the villain felt a little rushed for me, but still overall good.

People always say they don't like Red Dragon cause of Brett Ratner, but I think that Ratner did a much better job on that movie than his others, and he actually knocked it out of the park on this one, but people seem to always say Ratner is the problem, but why, if that's the case.

Manhunter is better than Red Dragon for the simple fact that the cast was awake during filming.
Yeah, that was a weird assertion.

Manunter was better than Red Dragon by a mile... mainly due to the great performance of William Peterson.

Edward Norton had NO personality as Will Graham, and seemed very out-of-place in the character.

It's hard to say which I like better between Manhunter and Red Dragon, cause I like Manhunter's Graham much better, and I like Red Dragon's Dollarhyde much better.

I feel that if they could put Petersen's Graham in the same movie as Fiennes's Dollarhyde, then that would be the best of both movies.

It's hard to say which I like better between Manhunter and Red Dragon, cause I like Manhunter's Graham much better, and I like Red Dragon's Dollarhyde much better.

I feel that if they could put Petersen's Graham in the same movie as Fiennes's Dollarhyde, then that would be the best of both movies.
I'll concede that Red Dragon's Dollarhyde was better... that goes without saying, Ralph Fiennes is a terrific actor.

But you have to take into account the astronomical difference in director quality when assessing the two films.

You have a genius in Michael Mann who created the chilling and ominous, noir-like tone of Manhunter.

And you have a talentless hack in Brett Ratner... that makes a lot of difference.

Okay but what makes Ratner a talentless hack though in this particular movie he did? He made other bad movies yes, but this one is actually a good one I felt and he did a much better job on this one.

That's the thing, is that everyone says he is a hack but no one actually bothers to explain what he did wrong with Red Dragon, aside from Norton's performance not being as good as Petersen. No one actually says anything else that is wrong with the movie it seems, so what did Ratner do wrong exactly?

I thought that Ratner's more gothic take on Red Dragon with the gothic score, was good as well. I also like the sets and color pallets of Red Dragon, where as Mann, just made all the sets a plain white in Manhunter, with white walls on everything, as if he just used real locations without making them look that much better for the camera it seems much.

This might just do nobody any good.
Red Dragon is so lazily made. It just takes from Silence of the Lambs and never bothers to anything for itself. What Manhunter lacks in production value it makes up for in ambiance.

Tom Noonan’s emotionally stunted and monstrously framed Dollarhyde is much more compelling than Fiennes just checking off boxes in the Hollywood psychopath list. I even prefer Richard Armitage’s similar take in the Hannibal tv show. At least they leaned into the physicality.